Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #73
twocvforme

Drives: Yaris Liftback ...Silver
Sounds like a fix...who did it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymaniac
yep my problem is solved ...revs on idle were to low....

when ac /defrost was on and radion it was just 350rpm

so now its about 600rpm on idle
Sounds great, but Toyota said they cannot touch the idle...how did you get yours up? Thanks in Advance, Peter
twocvforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #74
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
i don't understand what the problem is...

i test drove a 5spd hatch yesterday and i couldn't tell any difference between it and my 02 corolla 5spd. felt exactly the same.

tekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #75
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
they pluged a laptop to the car for about 30min than

took out the air filter and changed the MAF

and said the the Maf wasent giving the right signal to the cpu

anyway its all good now

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #76
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvforme
The safety issue to us is real simple....my wife has stalled the Yaris in two busy intersections and nearly got creamed in the side...she will not touch the car any longer...she has driven standards for 15 yrs. and loves them. No problem in any gear but first.. We do use your technique,she also turns the radio off and tells people to stop talking...for proper take off. Life is just to short for all this nonsense..
I'm sorry your wife almost got into an accident but still in no way was the car at fault. Someone chose to pull out into a busy intersection. This you can control. It has to do with the driver technique. Keep driving it, get a feel for it, or.. you can sell it and get something where you can drive a car using your technique.

If however you said you were travelling at a speed and the engine stalled, then I would agree it is a safety issue. This will be something that you could not have controlled.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #77
twocvforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
I'm sorry your wife almost got into an accident but still in no way was the car at fault. Someone chose to pull out into a busy intersection. This you can control. It has to do with the driver technique. Keep driving it, get a feel for it, or.. you can sell it and get something where you can drive a car using your technique.

If however you said you were travelling at a speed and the engine stalled, then I would agree it is a safety issue. This will be something that you could not have controlled.
That's correct...she is not driving it any longer.. we're just fortunate to have other stardard vehicles here to drive.. She pities the poor soul who has just one manual Yaris to drive...
Since it appears by the many posts here, it's not the normal.. Plus, we take driving very seriously; cannot afford one possible stall - due to low RPM's etc...
Toyota will have a Technical Bulletin (Recall) soon that many of us will gladly welcome; especially after they have a few liability suits.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #78
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
That's correct...she is not driving it any longer.. we're just fortunate to have other stardard vehicles here to drive.. She pities the poor soul who has just one manual Yaris to drive...
Since it appears by the many posts here, it's not the normal.. Plus, we take driving very seriously; cannot afford one possible stall - due to low RPM's etc...
Toyota will have a Technical Bulletin (Recall) soon that many of us will gladly welcome; especially after they have a few liability suits.
EIther theres something wrong with your car or you and your wife just have trouble with driving a manual transmission. I'd really recommend you stick to automatic transmissions.

My manual yaris works perfect. I'm even thinking of buying another one just like it.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #79
twocvforme

Yes, There is something wrong with the car>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
EIther theres something wrong with your car or you and your wife just have trouble with driving a manual transmission. I'd really recommend you stick to automatic transmissions.

My manual yaris works perfect. I'm even thinking of buying another one just like it.
Sorry but we have no automatics in the garage to drive ..just 5 manuals and 2 motorcycles and love them all as all in the past. We and the Service Advisor at Toyota decided there is something wrong with the car.. It's also quite obvious that many other Yaris owners find the same problem, we are the 5th at our dealer alone.
We are more than pleased that you are happy and have a drivable vehicle. Many of us are less fortunate and are attempting to rectify Toyota's problem.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #80
foober

Quote:
Sorry but we have no automatics in the garage to drive ..just 5 manuals and 2 motorcycles and love them all as all in the past. We and the Service Advisor at Toyota decided there is something wrong with the car.. It's also quite obvious that many other Yaris owners find the same problem, we are the 5th at our dealer alone.
We are more than pleased that you are happy and have a drivable vehicle. Many of us are less fortunate and are attempting to rectify Toyota's problem.
And what are you doing to rectify your problem. Sounds like a simple adjustment to the idle. Or your dealership is giving you the run around on such a simple problem. If I were you I'd just get an automatic. THey're simpler to use.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:13 AM   #81
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
A few suggestions:

1. Get a louder exhaust (it really helps when you can "hear" the engine)

2. Get a tach (even a dash mounted Scanguage will help see the RPM's you're launching at)

3. Double check the clutch fluid level and bleed if necessary

Idle can easily be changed by any Toyota dealer using the scan tool. I did notice the idle on the Yaris is not so stable (jumps around from 550-660RPM at idle with out A/C)... but this doesn't cause the stalling you describe.

If all else fails, I'll buy it off you for cheap
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:18 AM   #82
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33
A few suggestions:

1. Get a louder exhaust (it really helps when you can "hear" the engine)

2. Get a tach (even a dash mounted Scanguage will help see the RPM's you're launching at)
++++1

probably one of the first upgrades to my yaris will be an exhaust so i can hear the engine for rev matching. when i test drove the yaris yesterday i had no problems with shifting. the only problem was i could not hear the engine! no biggie though, it still shifted and ran perfectly. whoever has problems with shifting the gears on this car obviously needs to learn how to drive a stick.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #83
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe
++++1

probably one of the first upgrades to my yaris will be an exhaust so i can hear the engine for rev matching. when i test drove the yaris yesterday i had no problems with shifting. the only problem was i could not hear the engine! no biggie though, it still shifted and ran perfectly. whoever has problems with shifting the gears on this car obviously needs to learn how to drive a stick.
Thats a good point I hadn't thought of. I have excellent hearing. Maybe I'm not having any trouble because I can hear the rev of the engine.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #84
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
Thats a good point I hadn't thought of. I have excellent hearing. Maybe I'm not having any trouble because I can hear the rev of the engine.
when i bought my corolla i installed the trd exhaust shortly afterwards. it has a good sound to it. not like a loud farting buzzing bee like some of those other exhausts, just a nice deep tone. it helps tremendously with shifting regards to hearing the engine. i'll probably be installing the trd exhaust for my yaris when i save up enough cash.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #85
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Quote:
What's your definition of low rpm?

FYI, it is barely possible for the engine to move by just lifting the clutch. You do have to rev it a bit ... then again, what's to stop you giving it a clutch dump and leave a long black line on the road??

Again, it is the driver and I have not heard of any issue even with the 2NZFE motor except that it lacks a bit of torque and a bit of brain adjustment is required (driver came out of a 2AZFE powered RAV4).

I think you are so quick to point the finger and spit out the word recall, and lawsuits in America. No one else here seem to have your problem. Why is it a lawsuit? Why is it a recall? Why is it never the organic bit that is the fault? Plenty obvious on this forum and from what I hear from the national service guys here.

If only some poor soul could give perhaps you and your wife a recall for a brain reprogram. If you hadn't noticed, press the accelerator FIRST, then lift up the clutch, then you will be able to move. Not the other way around.

I suggest you sell the car before you hurt yourself. Most likely don't deserve to drive a Toyota. Go bother some other company. Maybe some silly large FWD V8 (do they even make that in America??!!??) is what you need. Fuel is cheap again.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #86
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
SmellyTofu, easily the worst post ever. Go find the nearest ceiling fan and bring some rope, then call me for further instructions.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #87
twocvforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
SmellyTofu, easily the worst post ever. Go find the nearest ceiling fan and bring some rope, then call me for further instructions.
I totally agree, I think he ate to much Tofu and is smelling.........
Old 10-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #88
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
It's one thing to assume one thing but it's another to get it wrong. Why go to a dealer when you can go straight to the source inside to the man that created the car. Bah, what do I know... I'm just a keyboard warrior.

Smelly Tofu is not smelly btw. Know your foods.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #89
twocvforme

Quote:
It's one thing to assume one thing but it's another to get it wrong. Why go to a dealer when you can go straight to the source inside to the man that created the car. Bah, what do I know... I'm just a keyboard warrior.

Smelly Tofu is not smelly btw. Know your foods.
We all know Tofu doesn't smell...I wasn't referring to Tofu...
Old 10-15-2006, 09:15 PM   #90
foober

Quote:
What's your definition of low rpm?

FYI, it is barely possible for the engine to move by just lifting the clutch. You do have to rev it a bit ... then again, what's to stop you giving it a clutch dump and leave a long black line on the road??

Again, it is the driver and I have not heard of any issue even with the 2NZFE motor except that it lacks a bit of torque and a bit of brain adjustment is required (driver came out of a 2AZFE powered RAV4).

I think you are so quick to point the finger and spit out the word recall, and lawsuits in America. No one else here seem to have your problem. Why is it a lawsuit? Why is it a recall? Why is it never the organic bit that is the fault? Plenty obvious on this forum and from what I hear from the national service guys here.

If only some poor soul could give perhaps you and your wife a recall for a brain reprogram. If you hadn't noticed, press the accelerator FIRST, then lift up the clutch, then you will be able to move. Not the other way around.

I suggest you sell the car before you hurt yourself. Most likely don't deserve to drive a Toyota. Go bother some other company. Maybe some silly large FWD V8 (do they even make that in America??!!??) is what you need. Fuel is cheap again.
That is a good point. Its so obvious for him to give the car some gas when he starts out. I bet he still won't give it any gas starting out so he can keep whineing about it. As they say. Some people. I really recommend this guy and his whole family giving up on driving a manual and go to the automatic transmission.