Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Swallow

Drives: Yaris Sedan YRS
Question CLICK sound when putting Automatic transmission from D to P and vice versa

Hello to everybody,

I have a Yaris Sedan YRS Auto Transmission and it has done almost 8500 km's. I recently noticed when I want put the transmission on D to start driving, I hear a CLICK sound. This also happens vice versa i.e. when I want to park my car and change the gear from D to P.

I am not sure if it had this sound before or not. Just curious if yours have the same sound.

Any idea/experience would be appreciated,

Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
click sound..

hello
if i understood you well,you have a full automatic transmission.
does the click sound happen if you switch the gear to N and from N? (if you have this type of gear in the transmission).try to shift to P,N,D and see if the click returnes in all other shifts.

if it does,i think that there's a problem with a solenid (some transmission have small solenoid that acts as a switch) or a small motor to move the proper "teeth wheel" (don't know how it's called in english).
does your transmission fluid ok?aren't there any leaks?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
Swallow

Continue

Quote:
Originally Posted by matanfr View Post
hello
if i understood you well,you have a full automatic transmission.
Yes

Quote:
does the click sound happen if you switch the gear to N and from N?.try to shift to P,N,D and see if the click returnes in all other shifts.
Yes, but clicking from any gear to P is louder.

Quote:
does your transmission fluid ok?aren't there any leaks?
No there is no Leaks. I checked it.

Thank you for your reply. Do you think if I take the car to the dealer, they will change the gearbox or they just want ro repair it? The car has only done 8500 KM's and it's really too soon for it's gear box to break down...
Old 04-27-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

is your car still under warrenty?
if it is-go to the dealership.another solution (if i'm right)-your tranny is automatic. then it doesn't have a micro-chip that needs to be calibrated or reset.but if it does-perhaps the dealership could re-program your gear (in my multimode the gear can be "programmed" by the dealership).

another question-do you transfer from D to P or N without full stop?if you shift from D to P and vice versa without stopping,you could harm your gearbox.the same for N and all other shifts.

if you'll take your car to the dealership-they'll try to repair it.it's cheaper to replace some wheels,nuts and bolts then put in another new tranny.you CAN try to insist on NEW transmission if it's the problem,but it doubt they'll replace.but requests don't cost nothing so go ahead..

good luck.update us.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
Swallow

Quote:
is your car still under warrenty?
if it is-go to the dealership.another solution (if i'm right)-your tranny is automatic. then it doesn't have a micro-chip that needs to be calibrated or reset.but if it does-perhaps the dealership could re-program your gear (in my multimode the gear can be "programmed" by the dealership).

another question-do you transfer from D to P or N without full stop?if you shift from D to P and vice versa without stopping,you could harm your gearbox.the same for N and all other shifts.

if you'll take your car to the dealership-they'll try to repair it.it's cheaper to replace some wheels,nuts and bolts then put in another new tranny.you CAN try to insist on NEW transmission if it's the problem,but it doubt they'll replace.but requests don't cost nothing so go ahead..

good luck.update us.
Thanks mate,

Yes it is still under warranty,

I'll keep you updated.

By the way, the car has some other problems as well, ( like these "squishy" squeaks when I put my hold on the brake and put the gear on D". Do you think it is better that I bring forward this problem as well? I am asking this because I afraid they won't pay enough attention to EACH problem if I bring forward two problem at the same time.

Cheers mate,
Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

"By the way, the car has some other problems as well, ( like these "squishy" squeaks when I put my hold on the brake and put the gear on D". Do you think it is better that I bring forward this problem as well? I am asking this because I afraid they won't pay enough attention to EACH problem if I bring forward two problem at the same time."

the "squishy" squeaks are normal AFAIK.after you brake AND shift to D,the engine is on the 1st gear (the most powerful that gives you the "boost").
if your wheels are locked and you put in D you are straining your brakes and the pedal because you need to "jump" to drive from full stop.has the squeaking began recently or constant since you bought the yaris?

ask you dealership just to make sure it's normal.ask them to drive with you in the car and hear all the noises.that's the only sure way of finding out.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #7
Swallow

Quote:
.has the squeaking began recently or constant since you bought the yaris?
I am not sure but I guess if brakes had such sound from the beginning I would have taken the car to the dealer to show them...
Old 04-29-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Are you on an incline and pressing firmly on your brakes? That could be the cause of the clicking sound as pins are placed or removed from position.

Are the squeaking coming from the rear, which would probably be normal as brake dust accumulate in the drum.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Are you on an incline and pressing firmly on your brakes? That could be the cause of the clicking sound as pins are placed or removed from position.
I tried to press firmly the break and yes, it reduced the clicking sound to some extent. But I can still hear a little click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Are the squeaking coming from the rear, which would probably be normal as brake dust accumulate in the drum.
I'll check it out.

I have another problem with the car. When I pass over an uneven pavement, I hear a loud rattle especially from the front wheel on the left. It is like a low-pitched(deep) rattle, I can even call it low banging.

The funny thing about my car is that when I drive in the rain, this banging sound is reduced so much! What could it be?

Thank you