Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Jochen

Drives: Yaris D-4D
European Yaris TS 2012?

Quote:
Toyota introduced a new generation of the Yaris supermini in Japan (named Vitz for the local market) in December, 2010, and is also planning to showcase a thinly disguised concept of an upcoming hybrid version of the supermini at the Geneva Motor Show, which will be held for the public from March 3 to 13. But as these trademark fillings from Europe prove, the company is also working on a sport variant, most likely as a replacement to the Yaris TS.

The model seen in these patent designs features a full body kit with a new front bumper that replaces the standard Yaris' front grille with openings next to the headlamps while also boasting daytime LED strips, side skirts and profile graphics, a redesigned rear bumper housing a prominent diffuser, and bespoke tail lamps. The new roof spoiler and the multispoke alloy wheels sum up the differences over the regular Yaris.

It only makes sense that if this is the new Yaris TS, it will get a more powerful engine, hopefully something with a bit more oomph than the current model's lackluster 133HP 1.8-liter gasoline engine. Toyota will also upgrade the car's suspension and brake systems to improve handling.
More pictures here: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/02...t-version.html
Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
PumpkinSteve

Drives: Yaris SR 1.8
"a bit more oomph than the current model's lackluster 133HP 1.8-liter gasoline engine"

Yes!
PumpkinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
a bigger engine willl likely mean more weight and poorer gas mileage.

id rather see better mileage, a little more power than the current yaris, and better handling.

imo, the front of that is hideous, but i know it may appeal to some.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I WISH my car had that 133hp powerplant!
Lackluster? I'll take one anyways....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Dabbalz

Drives: Yaris D4D, Ibiza Cupra 20VT
The 133bhp version wasn't slow but wasn't quick enough which is why i went for the Ibiza 20VT (180) after my RX8 (231).
Our lass has the D4D and thats nippy for a 1.4TD at 10.7sec to 62mph.
I like the look of the new Yaris (HSD Version). Our lass is getting one when released in 2012.
I think this version looks well but it needs a better power plant than the 133bhp 1.8VVTi with a kit like that.
Why they didn't fit the 190bhp VVTL-i from the Celica T-Sport i don't know, if your making a hot version then go all out as most people aint looking for the economy of a Diesel when buying a hot hatch. Personally i think a smaller turbo or supercharged unit would be a better option. I prefer the low down grunt of a turbo motor and for those few wanting a little better economy from there hot hatch, you can get better economy out of them than a high revving low torque engine due to the way it has to be driven.
Dabbalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Dabbalz

I think this version is so much better looking, looks so classy!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
IMHO, the pinched-nose, gaping mouth, and A-shaped rear pillar are just plain ugly.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Comes with side view mirrors?

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Dabbalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
IMHO, the pinched-nose, gaping mouth, and A-shaped rear pillar are just plain ugly.
This is new style. It's the same shell as the present Yaris so a short front end is normal to me and the sharper design looks so much better, the rear window is only missing the pointless fixed window section to the rear, i actually think it makes it look less dated. The gaping mouth is just the way design is now, from Audi, VW, Seat, Mitsubishi, Ford...........
They all doing it and I thought the same when it first started out but i really like it now and i guess thats the same for the majority of Europeans or this wouldn't have taken off so well here.
I'd have this over the present Yaris and most other small hatch's out there at the moment.
It sit's extremely well between the IQ and Auris, include the Prius, Carolla, Camry, Avensis etc and this shows Toyota's design direction in full and I like it.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #10
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbalz View Post
the rear window is only missing the pointless fixed window section to the rear
It is not pointless. The glass couldn't be lowered all the way down without it. Now they made the frame around the glass much, much thicker to prevent this.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
Dabbalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
It is not pointless. The glass couldn't be lowered all the way down without it. Now they made the frame around the glass much, much thicker to prevent this.
The window should still roll the whole way down on this version due to it's shape so it was pointless really when you could have it look much cleaner and less dated, if not i don't really care what my passengers don't get, don't like it don't ride in it lol. Our lass got the 3door Yaris as she hates the rear side windows in the 5door so much even when she wanted the practicality of the 5door.
Also i probably like it as my RX8 Had a very similar shape rear side windows. It's just modern and makes the 5 door look fresh and i've always hated small 5door hatch backs.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
that is the nicest looking 2012 yaris i have seen
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Still ugly.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #14
SilToYaris

Drives: Toyota YarisLE HB Silver 2009
Send a message via MSN to SilToYaris
Sorry All but I like the model! It looks more agressive... I like the idea of new head lights style... Like the lines and yes I hope will have little bit of more power... Even if the combine Gas/electricity efficency....
SilToYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
its just the 12 yaris with the piched nose and ridiculous trout mouth grill. perhaps the ugliest thing toyota has made in the past decade.

sometimes i think the wheels that will never be in a production model and blacked out windows are the trick that makes people think a car looks better than it really will.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #16
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
sometimes i think the wheels that will never be in a production model and blacked out windows are the trick that makes people think a car looks better than it really will.
lol, the blacked out windows, never to be seen again rims and i believe u forgot the amazing mirrors! really does help people to think the car looks better then it actually does.

the part i really like about it is the aggressive looking front, amazing bottom grill and Subaru type looking rear that brings me to like the car.

will it look like this? prob not, will i ever get one? prob not, will it even come to canada? definatly not.

but its still fun to wish
Old 04-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
looks like a storm trooper
There is even a silhouette of a storm trooper in the fourth picture...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #18
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Too gaudy for me ... I'm so glad I got my Yaris when I did as I can see this being where they go with the Yaris eventually.

I guess I might have still considered it next Honda's subcompact mini-van by comparison, but the Fiesta would be at the forefront.

I wonder how much more they're going to charge for the bigger less efficient engine.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote