Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
FcukThis

Drives: yaris
build Log : take 2...

Well, i posted it before the site went down the drain....
Just re posting since it all got deleted.

Where I left off..

2x Diyma
re xxx 6.5
jl 300/2
kinetik hc1400
techflex/heatstrhink etc..

Finished deadening car for the meanwhile.. Added foam all throughout crevices i could. Padded up front and rear wheel humps with 1/4" inch ensolite foam..
I'll probably go in and complete the doors with Overkill and plexiglass+liquid nails for the door openings. Probably give the outer panel a good 5-6 more layers since i got some more roof guard just sittin around.

Heres a pic of my car again.. only about 3 layers. I probably got around 8-10 ish layers on it right now. About 2 gallons worth.

whats a pain is doing all of this in a weekend because of school and Carpooling.
Basically had to strip interior Friday, get it all back in on Sunday. And i dont even have the wires in...
I'll have to Strip the entire interior once again;; when i put the wires in etc..

PIA !

Pic of Door ;; Before Deadning stage 2

Pic of trunk ;; Before deadening stage 2

10/20/08

Today got more equipment..
pair of 8w7's *which i'll be using..*
pair of monster xln pro rca's (on sale 30 for both)
Streetwires Positive and Negative Battery Terminals
In line fuse + fuses.. etc..

Post pics later.

----------------------------------------

Here's my attempt to recompile my build log. Monday, Sept 13, 2010. LAST EDIT.
Since the forum was wiped clean several years ago, i lost a ton of my build log.
Basically.. i will be recovering and re-posting everything that happened between 10-20-2008 to 7-13-2010. The date at which i left off on, and the date i began logging.

Just to re verify, and put it out there, the project has been off and on. I haven't been working on the project for two years straight.
I started the project when i was in my junior year of high school with very limited resources and knowledge.

So here we go ?... I 'll my best to narrate the pictures... It's been a long time so forgive me if i don't remember exactly what i did.

Snapshot of my equipment before anything went into the car.
Headunit
Eclipse MKii cd7200

Speakers [front stage only]
re6.5sxxx 2 way

Subs
2 8" W7's...
2 DIYMA R12 Reference Subs...
New Battery Kinetik audio HC1400 (Which ended up being DOA)

Amps
JL audio 300/2 Black
DLS A3 Twin mono

Install equipment
Knu concepts 4 awg power/ground wires.
Knu concepts 12/16awg speaker wires
Street wires 0 awg..
second skin Damplifier pro
Raam mat Ensolite
Monster xln rcas..
Techflex/Heatshrink

JL 300/2

These beat so fawking loud 8w7

8w7

DIYMA r12.. 40 pound magnet.. pure SQ

Pic of doors.. Stage 1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/IMG_0657.jpg

Stage 2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/IMG_0657.jpg

Stage 3

My uber trunk... 2 Layers damplified.. and a shit load of liquid deadening

Headunit

Headunit wiring mess

Insulated and organized

Fuse access

Deck put in

I bought the 2 8w7's as an experiment..
I wasn't really serious on buying them until i realized how cheap they were being sold for.
I couldn't let the opportunity pass me up.. so out of curiosity i bought a pair.
I just had to put the hype to the test.

I ran across a tutorial online [diyma].. of a guy utilizing concrete tubes to make a cheap and effective enclosure.
So hey, i tried it out.

Drew up the plans, sketched it out.

And i made it happen. My first test subwoofer box! Cost me 20 bucks.

Size reference

I wish i have you all experience the w7's.. they were nuuuts
Hopefully this video will justify them... I would upload it to youtube, but i lost the raw video file.. (tell me if this works)

http://www.facebook.com/v/1014759858515

Power was ran

Big 3

Last edited by FcukThis; 09-14-2010 at 03:04 AM.
FcukThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Was looking for threads on sound deadening and came upon this one.

Ever finish this?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Also, what is that white stuff that is [presumably] stage one?

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
white stuff is liquid deadener.... good stuff.. you paint it on, it dries out and hardens. Next car I have, i'm going to buy a 5 gallon bucket and do some painting and buy half as much mat instead.

I haven't seen him on here for a long time, it would've been nice to hear how his installed turned out, he had some good equipment.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ does it come in black?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Qilene15

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ does it come in black?
Curious to this as well. Not really interested in buying all that mat to deaden the car, but I'd definitely tear it apart to paint it.
Qilene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ does it come in black?
Depends on what brand you buy, I've seen some that dries gray, some light blue... I'll look around a bit. People sometimes will paint it to the underside of their wheel wells to help with that noise/vibration.

if you have access to an air compressor and paint gun it's really easy to apply. You have to apply thin coats and allow it to fully dry between coats however... so it can take awhile.

here's some I found, I make no claims on how well they work... EXCEPT the Second Skin Spectrum. That is the only stuff i have experience with, and it seemed to be a quality product. There are other brands out there too.

Dark grey
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound...r/spectrum.php

Blue or Black
http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_24
Old 07-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
FcukThis

Wow, totally forgot about this forum.. got caught up with school.. just graduated last month.

-----

As to the questions.

no i haven't finished the project.. Long story short.

i finished creating the door pods, mounted up some tweets too
upgraded the big 3 (for those who know), liquid deadened with solarflex (roof guard from home depot),
doors/trunk deadened with butyl based deadener (damplifier).

I finished the pods last summer, (7-2009)
It's my first car & first mod ever (even before learning how to change the oil), and it took a VERY long time. I'm talking hours of sanding and re applying body filler just to correct a segment of the pod.

The reason i haven't finished the project is because within about 2 months of installing the pods.. they cracked due to the stress of mounting, Door panels have slight bends in them when they are attached, a slight bend i didn't account for when i was molding them up.

The cracks are giant or anything, but there are definitely noticeable streaks and fissures. After that, I pretty much threw in the towel... and said goodbye to audio in the yaris. For me to repair them, i'm guessing it would take another solid 10 hours of work.

I'll provide more information/pictures if anyone is interested. I guess i'm just needing a little bump of inspiration before i start back on again.. I have a JL 13w6v2 in the trunk right now paired with a JL 500/1. the RE's are being pushed by a JL 300/2.
and a DIYMA r12 and custon Si mag v2 12" sittin in the basement :[.

Here's what they look like anyway

Old 07-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Okay..the cracks in the panels...

Can you post a picture? I think I have several solutions (if you don't already).

I take it by the missing A-pillars, that's where your tweets are? I also have some insights into tuning with the mids low and tweets up high...IF you want to hear the ideas.

Let's get this bad boy finished! You needed friends like me to drive you on. 10 hours of work...you should see my time logged with my A-pillars. That's why I'm so positive that we can get this going for you. It's really a motivation factor.

Oh and Cali...there's a product out that's called Lizard Skin. It is indeed black (or at least dark DARK gray). I used it in my sub enclosure and my kickpods.

http://www.lizardskin.com/
Old 07-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
FcukThis

thanks sqcomp,

yeah, tweets are in pvc cups mounted in the a-pillars. Mids in the door pods.

And I know what you mean, 10 hours really is nothing compared to the time it takes to do these installs. But i feel like i screwed up with the doors from the get go.. I'll post pictures later tonight (after work) so you'll know what i'm talking about; I'll include a majority of my build log and extra photos of my setup as well.

The pods are essentially 90% body filler surrounding a speaker ring... I didn't use glass/resin or anything ..
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Lizard skin and Liquid edead are about the only two I know of that are black or dark dark grey......the Edead is black,and it actually works great,the lizard skin is spendier,and I think works even better.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
talnlnky
Audio Junky

how are the RE XXX 6's? now that you've had a long time to listen to them.

Last edited by talnlnky; 07-24-2010 at 04:17 PM.
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
How are you feeling about taking the panels out and starting over? I'm just not too hot on an enclosure made out of filler. I say that being absolutely unafraid of glassing. You've noticed that I've had a little time with it. Now I know why you said you have cracks. Filler is the culprit. I have an idea though, that may save the day while not making the filler pods a loss...

The tweeters...you mentioned that they're in cups. Throw pictures of the tweeter's back and the cups that they're in.

I was looking at the passenger's side A-pillar. I know you don't have anything but tweeters up there BUT, that white molex clippie thing? That's a universal clip for the antenna. You can actually gain a 1/2" by removing that clip and it's SINGLE PIN inside the huge clip and soldering the two ends together...Not that you need to or anything. I just mentioned it out of my need for a little room because of my midrange in that location.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #14
FcukThis

Here's a summary of the install.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
SWEET
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #16
FcukThis

Quote:
how are the RE XXX 6's? now that you've had a long time to listen to them.
The RE's are fricken amazing. I can't stand listening to music anywhere but in my car. (not including studio headphones). I will be honest in saying that i do not have other 'high end' woofers to compare them to. They reproduce techno/RnB/hiphop genres the best, strong & full when songs are bassy. They also push a fair amount of air.

downside : They're way too big... like SERIOUSLY.

Quote:
How are you feeling about taking the panels out and starting over? I'm just not too hot on an enclosure made out of filler. I say that being absolutely unafraid of glassing. You've noticed that I've had a little time with it. Now I know why you said you have cracks. Filler is the culprit. I have an idea though, that may save the day while not making the filler pods a loss...
Yeah.. i discovered glassing AFTER i finished layering 20 stacks of evercoat. I don't think that there is a possibility at all in mounting the mids in the a-pillars.. it would be a vision hazard for sure :P. But hey! i'm open to all suggestions/ideas..as you can tell i'm all about crazy. The tweeters are shallow though, i'd say 1.5"--i will snap some pics of them tomorrow.

Here's an idea of the mounting depth on the mids.

Last edited by FcukThis; 07-29-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
FcukThis

Update on the cracks.

Sniff sniff** It pains me to link up such ugly pictures. Anyways, 5 minutes after taking the pic, i grabbed some sand paper and began working away.. I ended up removing a great deal of filler. The problem was that the filler was barely adhering to the panel at all, so i took a screwdriver and chipped away layers of filler that were essentially 'hanging'.

Next plans : Buy some evercoat hardener (i lost mine :[) And get to work... Damn i wish i used a kitty hair foundation... Oh well life goes on.

Trunk update :

Sketched a quick 2 minutes layout on Paint. I will be using an SI Mag v4 (won it in a DIYMA give-away last year :D). I will be pushing it with a DLS twin a3, and mono bridge it to 870w to 2 ohms dvc. I'm hoping to somehow create a space to submerge the amps under the false floor. I don't want to sacrifice my spare tire accessibility however, so I'm trying to formulate an idea to create a 'hinged' door that will allow me to access it, (noted by red line)

I might also submerge the box into the false floor, and do an inverted mount on the si mag.

pic of si mag butt:

Suggestions ?

Last edited by FcukThis; 07-29-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:29 AM   #18
FcukThis

6 hours of research and compiling materials
2 clicks.
roughly 300$ spent.

bought more equip.. useless but cool misc stuff (techflex/heatshrink/tape/glue/gaskets)
picked up a plunge router, circle jig (shoulda just DiY'd it), bits, and evercoat hardener.

Should be coming in some time next week. . . As soon as the hardener comes in, i'm going to start layering the doors back up.

I can't believe how much money i'm spending on tools/equipment..
Word, i should have done this from the get go.