Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #19
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Ordered other stereo components

Since I'm on a budget, I opted for some more entry level gear but I have experience will all of the products with the one exclusion of the subwoofer. The reviews on the subwoofer were both numerous and overwhelmingly positive.

Disclaimer: Although I posted some pictures from Sonic Electronix (they have the best pics), I have no affiliation with the company other being an occasional customer.

Subwoofer (Kenwood KSC-SW11) Shopped around and found this for ~ $118.00 USD shipped on Amazon. Planning to mount under driver's seat.

Link: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...Subwoofer.html

6.5" Speakers (Boss PC65.4) I used the 5 1/4" variant in my Dodge van and these speakers exceeded expectations. Plus, they should be well matched with the amp I bought. I ordered 2 pairs of these at Walmart for ~$56.00.

Link: https://www.bossaudio.com/auto/car-a...-audio-p65-4c/

4 Channel Class D miniamp (Dual DA704). I used one of the older series Dual amps in my Dodge van. The sound quality was great and the unit seemed really well made. I think these are made in the USA (Correction: Made in Korea). I picked up this amp with a "free" 4-channel 8 gauge wiring kit (Belva BAK84) for ~$90.00 US. Planning to mount under driver's seat, or under dash.

Amp Link: http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/lowprofileseries.php

Wiring Kit Link: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...lva-BAK84.html

Tweeters (NVX VSPTW 1" silk dome) for ~$26.00. I have 2 sets of these in my van and they are by far the best low priced tweeter I've used. They are remarkably clean sounding, quite loud when called on to be so, but not at all harsh. Planning to mount at top of A-pillars.

Link: https://www.nvx.com/vsptw-1-v-series...udio-tweeters/

I think these components will provide great quality sound. I will again be using PowerAmp digital processing music player on my Android head unit, so that, along with the filters and gains on the dual amp, I should be able to dial it in quite nicely.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-10-2018 at 10:16 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #20
06YarisRS

Ended up going with the NVX QBus8v.2 underseat subwoofer. It got quite a few positive ratings. The version 1 of this model was also sold under Focal as the iBus20, only at about 4 times the price...

https://www.nvx.com/qbus8v2-8-quickb...woofer-system/

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 03-10-2018, 12:34 AM   #21
omek07

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Hello . have you got the bosion unit yet? If yes can you please tell me if its plug and play? how long it takes to boot up?
omek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:12 AM   #22
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by omek07 View Post
Hello . have you got the bosion unit yet? If yes can you please tell me if its plug and play? how long it takes to boot up?
Hi. Yes I did receive the head unit but won't be able to answer your questions accurately as I likely won't be installing it until late May. Every manufacturer-specific unit I have bought has been plug-and-play. Boot up times may specified in the sometimes lengthy product listings. Cold boot up times are often in the order of 15 - 20 seconds but that would depend, I suppose, on how many apps you have set to start at boot up. The last unit I bought, before this one, had auto start up when the ignition was turned on. I did not like this feature but it was hard-coded into the machine and could not be changed. The seller explained that it is like "most new cars" in which the radios come on as soon as the vehicle is started. You could turn the radio off and it would stay off and then you could turn it on again, but I still didn't really like auto startup feature.

I take it you are considering getting one of these? If you are and you don't use CDs or DVDs there are ones that do not have the DVD drive. I have my new Toyota head unit up for sale locally right now as I was unaware of the ones without DVD. These units are much more shallow - a lot like a tablet - and if I manage to sell my new one, I'll be ordering one without DVD.

If you go this route and have any questions, I would be happy to help out, if I can.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-10-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #23
06YarisRS

Changed Speakers to Rockford Fosgate

I decided to sell off my Boss PC65.4 speakers locally and I ordered 2 sets of Rockford Fosgate R163 x 3 speakers. This is what happens - at least to me - if I order gear well in advance of installing it. I couldn't resist the Rockford Fosgates as I got a package deal of two sets for under $60.00 USD.

I did sell the Boss speakers for my cost.

Here are the new speakers that will go in instead of the Boss ones.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...me-R165X3.html

I bought and will put this NVX QBus8v.2 Class D amp/8" sunwoofer under the passenger seat of the Yaris. This is one sturdy, heavy unit I have unboxed and am super impressed with the seeming build quality. It won't rattle the rearview mirror but should round out the lower end nicely. This unit came with a surprisingly good quality wiring kit.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...E-Amp-Kit.html

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-10-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #24
omek07

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Hi. Yes I did receive the head unit but won't be able to answer your questions accurately as I likely won't be installing it until late May. Every manufacturer-specific unit I have bought has been plug-and-play. Boot up times may specified in the sometimes lengthy product listings. Cold boot up times are often in the order of 15 - 20 seconds but that would depend, I suppose, on how many apps you have set to start at boot up. The last unit I bought, before this one, had auto start up when the ignition was turned on. I did not like this feature but it was hard-coded into the machine and could not be changed. The seller explained that it is like "most new cars" in which the radios come on as soon as the vehicle is started. You could turn the radio off and it would stay off and then you could turn it on again, but I still didn't really like auto startup feature.

I take it you are considering getting one of these? If you are and you don't use CDs or DVDs there are ones that do not have the DVD drive. I have my new Toyota head unit up for sale locally right now as I was unaware of the ones without DVD. These units are much more shallow - a lot like a tablet - and if I manage to sell my new one, I'll be ordering one without DVD.

If you go this route and have any questions, I would be happy to help out, if I can.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I am searching for a new head unit with like the one that you posted. i am not using dvd or cds so i dont care if the unit has .

have you found any other unit without dvd and 2g ram?

can you post any link ?

in a different threat i have a unit from the Atoto . its seems very good but the guys here told me that its not going to fit.

thank you
omek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #25
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by omek07 View Post
Thank you very much for your answer.

I am searching for a new head unit with like the one that you posted. i am not using dvd or cds so i dont care if the unit has .

have you found any other unit without dvd and 2g ram?

can you post any link ?

in a different threat i have a unit from the Atoto . its seems very good but the guys here told me that its not going to fit.

thank you
You're welcome.

I did not search for any 2G units without the DVD so can't say for sure that they exist. I have found 1G of onboard Ram more than adequate. I would appreciate maybe 32G ROM as opposed to the 16G that most come with. Occasionally, I do have to free up some space, but that said, I have not directed any apps to SD card. I only keep music on that.

I just search aliexpress for "Toyota Android" or similar search term.

Best of luck and please post a link of any/all the units that you are considering.

Cheers,

Adam

Old 04-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #26
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
I've found the best option for me. From GearBest. 2GB ram, HD screen, and even integrated 3G! (You can put in a SIM card).
Want pics?
Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #27
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaflam View Post
Want pics?
Yes, please.

Is the sim card inserted into the head unit, or do you use an adapter with a sim card?

Old 04-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #28
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

There's an adapter which was included and I just reached around and put it in the glove box. Also did that with the USB extension.
The headunit has 4 USB slots + 1 in the front, and it also takes 2 microSD cards in the front. In the last pic you can see the stock launcher. I immediately downloaded and bought the full version (just $/€1!!) of "Car Launcher AG" which you'll see in most of the pics, with integrated GPS speed, music player, and a clock, but you can also just have it display the car logo. You can also buy a DVB-T2 usb adapter for Android and you'll have TV as well. I tried using an external USB DVD drive but nothing, didn't work. I have practically infinite data on the SIM I used so you can see me watching Rick&Morty on the internet, and also Greek TV.
I took lots of pics, here you go: Toyota Android Headunit from GearBest

Fixed.

Last edited by vivalaflam; 04-27-2018 at 04:42 PM.
vivalaflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #29
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ can't resolve your link.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #30
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
^ can't resolve your link.

Yup, can't see pics. Looking forward to seeing them, Vivalaflam, when you can get them posted.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #31
WeeYari

It's a brave man that orders from GearBest.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #32
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Fixed the link.

I've done countless orders from gearbest and if I ever came upon a problem they would solve it really quickly. I've never had anything fail on me from that site. Buy confidently ;) If you guys are interested I can also post a link of the product.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #33
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaflam View Post
Fixed the link.

I've done countless orders from gearbest and if I ever came upon a problem they would solve it really quickly. I've never had anything fail on me from that site. Buy confidently ;) If you guys are interested I can also post a link of the product.
Looks like a very nice head unit. I'd like to see a link to it.

EDIT: Is this the unit?

https://www.gearbest.com/car-dvd-pla...ml?wid=1433363

Old 04-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #34
WeeYari

I'm glad your experiences with them have been positive. Their prices are amazing, but reviews for them are all over the map. My experience with them is documented somewhere on here. It wasn't good.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #35
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I'm glad your experiences with them have been positive. Their prices are amazing, but reviews for them are all over the map. My experience with them is documented somewhere on here. It wasn't good.

I've been pretty lucky myself, but - at least where I buy them from - if one broke, it would basically be a throwaway item. I've found a few of these radios in the $175.00 CAD range and they are full Android with amazing functionality. I basically buy them without any intention of ever fixing them if they break. I would just replace. Not very environmentally friendly, I know but realistic, I think. I do have one radio - of about 5 I've bought over the years - that had a screen go bad. The thing is, it is an android 4.4. By the time I fixed it (replace screen for about $40.00) the OS would be outdated anyway and updating the OS is involved from what I hear. And that's not even considering 'outdated' hardware. In sum, you're assuming a degree of risk when you buy one of these. They are far cheaper than western offerings and they are both factory fit and essentially plug-and-play. The same cannot be said for local offerings as far as I know. I don't think they offer the latest technology that would come in say a Kenwood or Apline, but they are vastly cheaper and stable from my experience. Many people will roll with the associated risk. Others won't and I couldn't blame either.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #36
WeeYari

I'm talking about actually dealing with GearBest, not experiences with Android units.