Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Lithium Ion Battery Jump Starters

I thought I'd post this as a heads up to those who have a lithium ion battery jump starter pack in their car for emergency use.

For xmas this past year my wife bought me a jump pack from Costco - The Type S jumper. I wanted one since I have a parasitic draw on my battery (~275-300mA) and if I let thre car sit for about 6 day in the summer or 2 days in the middle of winter, it doesn't have enough juice to turn over the car.

Well I fully charged the jumper and left it in my car in case I ever needed it. I needed it a couple week ago and went to use it and the jumper battery was almost completely dead. It had less voltage than my car battery so it automatically wouldn't jump the car. I took it inside and once it warmed up it read full charge. I ended up having to use my battery charger/75A jumper that I have and after 5 tries it finally turned the car over and started. 75A isn't as much as you think when it is -20C.

I have since kept my jumper in the house at night and if I think I may need it later in the day I bring it inside with me where ever I am. This morning my battery didn't have enough charge to turn over the engine and I pulled out my (room temperature) jumper. Hooked it up and the battery turned over like it was brand new and the car started.

Anyways, my point is, don't trust those lithium ion jumpers to do anything below 0C, during the winter bring them inside in case you actually need it. This is nothing new, Lithium ion batteries don't do well in cold, but something to keep in mind none the less.

I think my parasitic draw may be due to my aftermarket keyless entry but it is way too cold outside right now to test that theory.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Maritime

Drives: 2008 yaris 5dr hatch
Thanks for the info. I have one and have not needed to use it yet in the cold. Only in warm. Good to know.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Interesting info. One would expect that they will put some better batteries inside that pack (there must be something considering all those Teslas driving outside in minus temperatures).
I have bought myself solid jumpstart cables - in case I need them there is always a car around where I can beg for 5 minutes of their time. And I have really needed those cables once... when I was asked by a desperate colleague for help. :D
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
Interesting info. One would expect that they will put some better batteries inside that pack (there must be something considering all those Teslas driving outside in minus temperatures).
I have bought myself solid jumpstart cables - in case I need them there is always a car around where I can beg for 5 minutes of their time. And I have really needed those cables once... when I was asked by a desperate colleague for help. :D
Google "tesla battery cold"

They have a ton of issues with cold weather. I believe tesla is even developing, maybe already offering battery warmers.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Google "tesla battery cold"

They have a ton of issues with cold weather. I believe tesla is even developing, maybe already offering battery warmers.
I thought Tesla auto keeps the battery warm by itself?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Wouldn't that just consume more battery power? On an a battery that's already giving performance issues? Lol

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
Leegamer

The preheating only works if the car is plugged in I believe.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
The real battery drain issue(when driving) is the heater/defroster. It's so bad you'll read of some Tesla owners just using mostly the seat heaters to reduce the load I still want one though, dammit
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
IllusionX

Quote:
You can warm the cabin remotely on a Tesla regardless. If it's plugged in, and not charging, it will use the battery to warm the cabin.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:32 PM   #10
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

So if you're parked in a parking lot all day like say you were at work.... no bueno?

Old 01-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
So if you're parked in a parking lot all day like say you were at work.... no bueno?
Yep!
Old 01-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #12
IllusionX

It's a good idea to cycle the battery twice a month.

LiPo batteries swell if kept fully charged and unused for a prolonged period of time.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:14 AM   #13
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Love the idea power and reliability of ev, but just not practical enough for me yet.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
Leegamer

Good to know. I don't know a whole lot about teslas, I have pretty much no interest in EVs
Old 02-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #15
IllusionX

Quote:
Good to know. I don't know a whole lot about teslas, I have pretty much no interest in EVs
Well, you gonna have to change your mind. EV is gonna be the future, although I wish hydrogen fuel cells would have taken the lead. Burn hydrogen, exhaust water.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #16
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Well, you gonna have to change your mind. EV is gonna be the future, although I wish hydrogen fuel cells would have taken the lead. Burn hydrogen, exhaust water.

Nah, I'll find a way.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #17
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Nah, I'll find a way.
Steam engine!

Ev may be the future, bit I don't think gasoline will die before my lifetime. Oil employs way too many people to have it disappear in 10 years. The economy couldn't handle it.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #18
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
Lithium Ion batteries are used in portable jumpers simply because they are small and light enough to be practical and they pack enough of a punch in that package to jump a car while being affordable. Obviously their downside is their lack of performance in the cold.

That said, the root of my battery issue is my 300mA parasitic draw which I will be diagnosing tonight as it is warming up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Love the idea power and reliability of ev, but just not practical enough for me yet.
agreed, it isn't where it needs to be yet to be practical for most peopl, nor is the pricing. Comparing a small (somewhat decently priced) Volt to a Yaris or Corolla and you are not really saving anything environmentally wise.

I can see my family having one EV as the local town runner/grocery gett'r but beyong that there is no way they are practical for my family and our trips to the cottage summer and winter.

My track car will always be an ICE, way more fun and the ability to customize and tinker plus amazing noise. Take that away and you remove a lot of the fun that comes with motorsports. Look at the issue FormulaE has with their batteries and having to precisely plan out exactly how long they can run for before they switch cars and have to decrease power. It isn't practical to have an EV that you can drive to the track, run hard for a few hours and then take you on a long ride home. Not until thei battery capacity goes way up and charging times severely decrease as well as the amount of charging stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I agree it is the future, but a not so close one. I also do not see it casting ICE's into obsolescence, at least not in my life time. Until Big Oil can replace their profits with something of the electric kind, oil isn't going anywhere. Multi billion dollar corporations have way to much to lose and will do what they need to to keep themselves relevant and profitable. Other industries have already done so, oil is no different and neither are their ethics and morals