Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
libraryelf

Drives: 2008 Yaris white

My 2008 Yaris now as 100,000 miles.
Tried to put picture, but it keeps saying it is too many something. Ugh!!!

Last edited by libraryelf; 12-30-2018 at 11:04 PM.
libraryelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Congrats! Just breaking it in.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Congrats on reaching the milestone! Just curious, but in those ten years, did anything need to be repaired or replaced?
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Nice. We'll see you in 2028 at 200,000 miles and maybe even 2038 at 300,000 if you keep away from the salt.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by libraryelf View Post
My 2008 Yaris now as 100,000 miles.
Tried to put picture, but it keeps saying it is too many something. Ugh!!!
Congrats on the milestone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Congrats on reaching the milestone! Just curious, but in those ten years, did anything need to be repaired or replaced?
Since you're curious about it, I thought I might mention that I just ticked over 77k and I've had to replace the steering rack, water pump and starter.

The water pump on these early models is known to leak. A few early models have also suffered from the starter grinding when cold issue I experienced. I believe the steering rack went early because of a minor collision my car was in early in its life. Luckily, it was still under warranty at the time, so it was replaced by the dealership at no cost to me.

The car has never left me stranded, always fired up and taken me wherever I've needed to go.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
Maritime

Drives: 2008 yaris 5dr hatch
Nice, I have a 2008 with 208K Miles (358K KM) on it and it's needed almost nothing but wear items like tires, belts, light bulbs, brakes, just did struts and shocks on all 4 corners as I had a busted spring on on strut and it wouldn't pass safety this year for that reason. and I had to have the muffler and mid pipe repaired from rust/rot. I bought it with 80K and added the 128K since in 4 years.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
Hamster

earn-diz - Based on what I read on this website, the VIN on my car also contains one of those bad Aisin water pumps as well. I look under my hood every so often to check for the pink spray. So far, so good. I hope I get lucky and never have to replace the water pump. Anyway, glad you got the steering rack replaced for free, because I'm sure that wouldn't have been a cheap repair if you had to pay for it yourself.

Maritime - Whoa, that's a lot of miles! But that's really awesome that you only had typical expected wear items.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
zoidberg444

Quote:
Water pumps are a fairly common failure on these. Sometimes the voltage regulator in the alternator packs up. I have heard of the odd early starter failure. Generally other failures seem to be an act of god. Mine had a bad door catch/lock replaced under warranty at 27,000 miles (i wasn't the owner at the time) but I've never heard of that failure on any other Yaris. My cousins Yaris had 2 coils go bad at 10 years/75,000 miles. Most Toyota engines in this generation burn oil so just check it every 1000 miles and top it up.

At 165,000 miles mine has had:
Waterpump
Exhaust
Battery
Alternator
Clutch
Belt x2 (i had a squeaky DAYCO belt i swapped for another one after my OEM one got replaced at 90K)

I also did a front end collision repair with the front end from a donor vehicle - bumper/rad support/radiator/assorted plastic bits.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #9
Leegamer

I'm at 160k and I've had:
Water Pump
Pretty sure I have a small exhaust leak near the muffler
Passenger side front wheel bearing
battery
tires (duh)
radio is effed up and always thinks there's a CD in
replaced OEM brake pads at 150k and they still had a little meat (wow)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
Hamster

I'm nowhere close to 100,000 miles, but my battery died this past summer. It was the original battery. I didn't know that a car battery could last that long. Since my car was manufactured in 1/09, that meant the battery was at least 9.5 years old. And it didn't even die all the way. The radio worked, just there wasn't enough juice to start the car. Called AAA and they jumped my car, and replaced the battery right in my driveway.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
Leegamer

Quote:
I'm nowhere close to 100,000 miles, but my battery died this past summer. It was the original battery. I didn't know that a car battery could last that long. Since my car was manufactured in 1/09, that meant the battery was at least 9.5 years old. And it didn't even die all the way. The radio worked, just there wasn't enough juice to start the car. Called AAA and they jumped my car, and replaced the battery right in my driveway.
Batteries just seem to last longer nowadays. Climate probably has an effect, though. I live in a fairly mild climate and get at least 5-8 years out of a battery but we don't have harsh winters that will really put stress on a battery.

I only use wal mart batteries, too...which are super cheap. lol
Old 01-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
ern-diz

Quote:
earn-diz - Based on what I read on this website, the VIN on my car also contains one of those bad Aisin water pumps as well. I look under my hood every so often to check for the pink spray. So far, so good. I hope I get lucky and never have to replace the water pump. Anyway, glad you got the steering rack replaced for free, because I'm sure that wouldn't have been a cheap repair if you had to pay for it yourself.
Fingers crossed for your water pump.

You're right about the steering rack. I was literally in the last days of the extended warranty and snuck under like my name was Indiana Jones. Would have been around $1200-$1500 for the parts.

My body shop owner buddy said he can get rebuilt racks for around $400 but when you add labor, it's still a pretty penny.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
zoidberg444

You know considering it's EPS and not hydraulic power steering you might well get away with just a plain old used one from the scrapyard and just sticking some new track rods on it. There isn't a whole lot to go wrong in them. Main killer on that job is dropping the sub-frame. Especially if its rusty.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #14
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
You know considering it's EPS and not hydraulic power steering you might well get away with just a plain old used one from the scrapyard and just sticking some new track rods on it. There isn't a whole lot to go wrong in them. Main killer on that job is dropping the sub-frame. Especially if its rusty.

Makes sense. I'm not sure what went wrong with it, but I was hearing a high pitch whistle sound coming from it when turning the wheel left to right. Not a squeal like you'd hear with a bad belt, but almost like a whistle, or whine.

First time I took it in they lubed some parts but the sound returned. After further investigation, they said the steering rack was the problem. Replaced under warranty and whistle/whine was gone.

When the car was only about 3 months old, I was parked behind a friend's rather large SUV and she went to leave, didn't notice I was behind her and backed into my car. After the rack replacement, I assumed that hit (while parked with steering lock engaged) might have started it and the subsequent years of driving with heavy, over-sized wheels finished the job. Who really knows, could have just been a dud rack.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #15
zoidberg444

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Makes sense. I'm not sure what went wrong with it, but I was hearing a high pitch whistle sound coming from it when turning the wheel left to right. Not a squeal like you'd hear with a bad belt, but almost like a whistle, or whine.

First time I took it in they lubed some parts but the sound returned. After further investigation, they said the steering rack was the problem. Replaced under warranty and whistle/whine was gone.

When the car was only about 3 months old, I was parked behind a friend's rather large SUV and she went to leave, didn't notice I was behind her and backed into my car. After the rack replacement, I assumed that hit (while parked with steering lock engaged) might have started it and the subsequent years of driving with heavy, over-sized wheels finished the job. Who really knows, could have just been a dud rack.
Yeah. The shock probably damaged something inside. If my rack went i would get one from the scrapyard.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #16
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Batteries just seem to last longer nowadays. Climate probably has an effect, though. I live in a fairly mild climate and get at least 5-8 years out of a battery but we don't have harsh winters that will really put stress on a battery.
We have harsh winters here in Ohio! Maybe not as bad as Minnesota or something, but it still gets really cold.

Last edited by Hamster; 01-24-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 01-29-2019, 01:35 AM   #17
libraryelf

Drives: 2008 Yaris white
I've had to replace the battery twice. Florida summers and it didn't like traveling across the ocean to HI. Replace tires a several years ago. Belt has been replaced and windshield wipers, both front and back. I change the oil when it is time to change. A funny note, as I was traveling from FL to CA to take my Yarrie to shipped, the check engine light came and I couldn't figure out why, I just happen to look at the change oil sticker on the my window and it was saying it needed to change oil. I did that as soon as my Yarrie got to HI. My little hatch back lives up to its station wagon ancestry. Took things to UPS to be delivered to HI and then moved to new apartment just a few weeks ago. She is a keeper.
libraryelf is offline   Reply With Quote