Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2010, 12:38 AM   #199
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Which speakers are you going to get, Herb?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #200
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I was quoted $700 for a floor, door, rear trunk and rear speaker area sound deadening job with dynamat, from a pro installer shop. It wouldve required me to get a rental car while they would keep the car for two days.

Doing it myself with b-quiet abd some cheap carpet and old clothes ~ $220. The real savings will result from not having to buy a new car to be satisfied.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:34 AM   #201
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Holy smokes! It took me 2 1/2 days to get through all the posts in here! I've learned alot and before I found this thread started to sound deaden my sedan. I'll keep an eye on this thread and on SQComp's build too regarding the headliner. Hmmmmm.

Anyway this is a most excellent thread! I'm not going anywhere near as Xtreme as you Derick, but I applaud your efforts! Keep up the good work.
Thanks Herbicidal! It's has been a learning process for most of us...

/
Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 AM   #202
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
indeed it is a learning process! I'm "stressing" on the special clips that are holding the C-pillars and my sun visors on...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #203
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Which speakers are you going to get, Herb?
Not to take this thread off topic, honestly, I haven't decided yet...still researching. Since I'm keeping the stock head unit, I want to find a good match without doing all the electronic upgrades that Derick has so very nicely diagrammed in earlier posts.

So a question here that I either missed the answer to or haven't seen it - for the stock HU, should I go with speakers that are 2 or 4 ohms? At this time I am not planning on installing any kind of amp. Yes, I know I won't enjoy the full capabilities of new speakers without an amp, but I've got to keep an eye on the $$$'s. Perhaps I can add a small amp later.

Thanks!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #204
derickveliz2

Quote:
Not to take this thread off topic, honestly, I haven't decided yet...still researching. Since I'm keeping the stock head unit, I want to find a good match without doing all the electronic upgrades that Derick has so very nicely diagrammed in earlier posts.

So a question here that I either missed the answer to or haven't seen it - for the stock HU, should I go with speakers that are 2 or 4 ohms? At this time I am not planning on installing any kind of amp. Yes, I know I won't enjoy the full capabilities of new speakers without an amp, but I've got to keep an eye on the $$$'s. Perhaps I can add a small amp later.

Thanks!
I was in the same position you are before getting into all this, and this is what I was going to do:

Front speakers: Pioneer 6.5 ($40) LINK
Rear speakers: any 6x9 (>$40) LINK

2 cts I hope it helps I really don't know about the 2 or 4 ohms

you could still add an amp or a small amplified sub later, this would be a good improvement.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #205
derickveliz2

Last night (3.5 hours of work, went to bed at 3 am) dam I should start working on my car earlier, but my son and wife are first!

I cut out the OEM speaker and install my new speaker, it fits perfect and the Blue LED looks so cool!

Then I cut the MLV to fit the Trim panel...

Here you can see how the trim panel looks like; I cut/shape/sand the 2 peaces of Foam that protrude inside the door alouding the MLV to fit with the trim panel,...

In this picture I'm using velcro to hold the MLV in place and finish passing all the wire through, I also put some 1/4" CCF between the MLV and Door (not shown in picture)

I drove to work like this, and I was surprised that I was hearing a bunch of NEW noises (this is good) that means I'm killing noise that was bothering me so much coming from the door, I haven't seal the door yet, a layer of 1/4" CCF goes between the MLV and trim panel to complete a sandwich that will work as noise barrier, speaker box, anti rattling, and even insulation.

One tip, I didn't do it when cutting the MLV make sure you get the natural curve to the opposite side it shows in my install so the MLV tends to curb on the end towards the door and not away from the door. It should help mounting the door panel.

Thank you,

D.

Last edited by derickveliz2; 04-22-2010 at 11:41 AM.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #206
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:

Thanks!
the ohm load of the speakers should actually be about the last thing you should be worrying about. A 4ohm speaker is generally more efficient than a 2ohm speaker, so, the additional power that a 2ohm speaker usually doesn't make much of a difference.
I've ran 4ohm & 8ohm speakers before.... you won't here an audible difference between them... its all the other specs that will make an audible difference.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #207
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
the ohm load of the speakers should actually be about the last thing you should be worrying about. A 4ohm speaker is generally more efficient than a 2ohm speaker, so, the additional power that a 2ohm speaker usually doesn't make much of a difference.
I've ran 4ohm & 8ohm speakers before.... you won't here an audible difference between them... its all the other specs that will make an audible difference.
Thanks! I wasn't sure if the 2 vs 4 made a difference as far a power requirements from the HU as I know zip about the stocker in my car.

Lookin' good Derick! You're gonna turn into a walking zombie with all those late nights! I hear you about the family, especially with a youngster demanding your attention. So...when are you to to "mod" the play structure? Stereo? Fridge? Ceiling fan? Lounge?
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #208
derickveliz2

I just met my worst night mare!!!........FRONT RIGHT DOOR TRIM PANEL!!!

I can't believe it, it was so hard... I know the extra layers of CCF and MLV was too much and I knew I was going to trim them to make it fit; I put on and off that panel maybe a couple dozen times, maybe more!!!, I spent all my hour of lunch trying and trying... at the end I was successful. Also had to take away the little foam on the upper part, and cut all the way down the big one.

Looks like there are main points in the panel that go agains the inner door and felt like little bumps deflecting the panel making it impossible to put back in place.

I hope this helps me plan the drives side door better.

I'm exhausted

I was so lucky my boss came back from vacations and he brought 2 pizzas for us!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #209
derickveliz2

I forgot to mention, that the THUMP coming from the door when I slam it...

it's so GOOD, it's PRICELESS

Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #210
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Thanks! I wasn't sure if the 2 vs 4 made a difference as far a power requirements from the HU as I know zip about the stocker in my car.

Lookin' good Derick! You're gonna turn into a walking zombie with all those late nights! I hear you about the family, especially with a youngster demanding your attention. So...when are you to to "mod" the play structure? Stereo? Fridge? Ceiling fan? Lounge?
OHHHHH... crap.... I totally read your entire post... and somehow glazed over when you said STOCK DECK.... if you plan on running the speakers off the deck's internal amplifier, then I would stay away from the 2ohm speakers. I thought you were going to power the speakers off an external amplifier (i'm blond, don't crucify me).

the 2ohm load on a deck will cause it to run very hot, and possibly blow fuses. There are a lot of electronics that give off heat in a deck even before you consider the amplifier. I have a deck that doesn't even have an internal amp, it only has a 2amp fuse, and the front of it gets warm.... now compare that to a deck which will have around a 10amp fuse.

Usually when people talk about running a 2ohm speaker, it's because they want to get every last watt of power out of their external amplifiers.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #211
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
OHHHHH... crap.... I totally read your entire post... and somehow glazed over when you said STOCK DECK.... if you plan on running the speakers off the deck's internal amplifier, then I would stay away from the 2ohm speakers. I thought you were going to power the speakers off an external amplifier (i'm blond, don't crucify me).

the 2ohm load on a deck will cause it to run very hot, and possibly blow fuses. There are a lot of electronics that give off heat in a deck even before you consider the amplifier. I have a deck that doesn't even have an internal amp, it only has a 2amp fuse, and the front of it gets warm.... now compare that to a deck which will have around a 10amp fuse.

Usually when people talk about running a 2ohm speaker, it's because they want to get every last watt of power out of their external amplifiers.
No worries! I know just enough to believe the 2's were not the best choice for my stock HU. I bit the bullet and just ordered these 4ohm units from SonicElectronics:

1. Kicker KS60.2: 1 @ $109.99 (doors)
2. Alpine SPR-69C: 1 @ $99.99 (rear deck)

I've got my car 1/2 torn apart and would like to ONLY get into the doors and rear deck once!

Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 AM   #212
derickveliz2

I can't work on my car tonight, I have to do real work.

The only thing I could say is that my ride back home was very pleasant, the door feels very solid and quiet, now I should keep working on the floor and mid section.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz good night.

D.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #213
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
I was quoted $700 for a floor, door, rear trunk and rear speaker area sound deadening job with dynamat, from a pro installer shop. It wouldve required me to get a rental car while they would keep the car for two days.

Doing it myself with b-quiet abd some cheap carpet and old clothes ~ $220. The real savings will result from not having to buy a new car to be satisfied.
I like doing it my self, I do it with lots of precautions, love and care to my car. I don't even let anybody else change the oil. I'm afraid that they won't do it carefully and won't do it with PASSION! like I do.

And if I had to do it all over again, I Would!

Besides a layer of dynamat it's not going to be enough to get good results. I'm going to tell you a little secret I did. I experimented with the right front wheel well and applied 2 layers of Mat and went for a ride, not much of an improvement, then I installed the MLV with CCF and the difference was significant better. I understand the going for SPL the extra layers of Mat help, and at some point starts working as a sound barrier.
It's like when we do schools with Gyms next to libraries, Classrooms and Auditoriums, in the specs we show absorbent materials and sound barriers.

Any way it doesn't matter how we do it, there are too many factors and opinions and I respect everybody's point of view but the most important is that we are having fun with our cars and sharing, comparing and enjoying what all this is about. "YarisWorld"

D.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #214
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Derick...

I just read the post above about trimming the foam in the panel. Yeah...Nothing one can't handle though. I killed all the factory spacer foam myself. It was easier to do that way.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #215
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Derick...

I just read the post above about trimming the foam in the panel. Yeah...Nothing one can't handle though. I killed all the factory spacer foam myself. It was easier to do that way.
That is going to be the first thing I do on the passenger's door.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #216
derickveliz2

Today on my way to work, something really nice happen...

I call my brother to say "Hi", 15 seconds after... He says...

"I can hear hear you very well, your phone sounds very clear! did you get a new phone? Where are you?"

I said... No! I didn't get a new phone, and I'm driving on the highway at 75mph.

So my project is WORKING, I never had a nice conversation over the phone in my car when cruising over 60mph, I had to rise my voice a lot on the phone so the other end could hear me, this is very

SATISFACTORY!

D.