Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Best Value Speakers for the Sedan

Hey guys, I would like to hear some recommendations regarding speakers for my Sedan.

6.5" Front and 6"x9" rear. I don't want to expend a lot of $$$ in a set of Polks or JBL... I know that there are other less know brands that usually perform as good as those I mention.

Let me know your thoughts!
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I can't give you specific brands, but if I were you I would be going to Best Buy or Circuit City or one of those. I saw a pair of Infinity 6.5 components for 100 bucks at Best Buy a month or two ago, and they install them for you too. They sounded tremendous... I had to bite my lip and exit the store. I was close to buying them myself. Just go and listen to all of them and see what sounds good to you.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
I'm not sure that they have a Best Buy or Circuit City in Costa Rica.

But the point Chino is trying to make is, you can't take people's word on what is good. "Good" is subjective, or different for everybody.
Just go find a local stereo shop (bring your own CD) and listen to the different speakers they have and let your ears be the judge.

If you do that, and pick out a few the you think sound good, come back here with a list and maybe the people on here can help you out with that is better build quality wise.

Garson - D.A.D. aero
Zuenglein Dolci wheels
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Actually I'm in southern California right now... and I'll be back in CR in a couple of weeks...

I understand what you say (what sounds good for me...) but some recommendations and experiences wouldn't heart. At least as a guide.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I can tell you that I absolutely love my Eclipse. I bought them on Ebay and got both pairs for under 150 together! I went and had them installed at Circuit City for 35 per pair. With the install then I paid around 230 after taxes. You go to just by the speakers from them without the install and you are looking at 120 for the 6.5 and then 160 for the 6.9. Even if they are having their free install promo I still paid 50 less. Just look at the specs of them and you could even compare them to the Inifinity's to see that they rock. (better specs and cleared sound). Only thing is that if you are not planning on purchasing a sub then I would get an affordable amp for them cause the stock H/U doesn't really push them.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
gomez1184

Drives: '09 Yaris T-sport
nice, finally someone else from costa rica...
anyway, i have a black '07 hatchback with rockford fosgate speakers on all four doors and 2 x 8" woofers in the back with a rockford amp.

i know rockford isn't a very loved brand but i have to say it sounds amazing.

dont know if you have your car in the states or here in costa rica, but if u have it in costa rica and are planning on bringing the speakers from the states u should reconsider, u can actually get really good prices on most major brands back here.

just my 2cents.
gomez1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #7
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

MMM.... my car is over there. I'll see if i can find a good deal for a set of speakers over here... if not... I know the prices in CR aren't that bad.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
when listening to a set of speakers in a showroom take this into account:

coaxials will be mounted in the door, so for an "even" sound, you will want excessively bright (loud) tweeters in the front speakers, and not so excessively bright tweeters in the rear. The low door location and setup of hte door makes it difficult to get high freq's out of the front speaks.

A metal dome up front, and a silk dome in the rear is what I would suggest.

My ultimate suggestion would be silk dome coax 6x9's in the rear, and then a silk dome component set up front, with tweeters mounted into the A pillar.

MB Quart, Focal, alpine, boston... all good stuff. Alpine will be the cheapest out of those, unless you go for type X :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:10 AM   #9
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Thank you guys for all your help!!

I Found a set of Eclipses (both F\R 6.5" and 6 x 9) on the Ebay in "like new" condition and got them for $55!!!!! I'll wait and see how they sound...

BTW I also found the OBX shift Knob that is ofered as an for the Yaris for $15.... Thank you Ebay
Old 11-23-2006, 02:31 AM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

spkrman, what is your take on the Type X's? Ever heard them in person?

I'm buying them regardless... call it a hunch, but I have a feeling they'll melt face, and I am an Alpine guy through and through so it only makes sense to load my car with their top-of-the-line equip.

They aren't even THAT expensive... 110 bucks a speaker shipped roundabout on Ebay.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:33 AM   #11
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
spkrman, what is your take on the Type X's? Ever heard them in person?

I'm buying them regardless... call it a hunch, but I have a feeling they'll melt face, and I am an Alpine guy through and through so it only makes sense to load my car with their top-of-the-line equip.

They aren't even THAT expensive... 110 bucks a speaker shipped roundabout on Ebay.
I dont have extensive experience with them, but from what I have used... they are awesome SQ drivers, but they arent the loudest out there.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:44 AM   #12
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Well if anyone want a pair of Pioneeer TS-A6991S 6x9 msg me......im sellin them for 150 AUD + Freight, only been used for 2 months....but not in a hurry to sell it. Just sittin on my shelf

Edit : From the money converter site http://www.xe.com/ucc, ill be sellin it for 115 USD + Freight
Old 11-23-2006, 10:19 AM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman
I dont have extensive experience with them, but from what I have used... they are awesome SQ drivers, but they arent the loudest out there.
Sounds perfect. I'm in it for quality, not quantity. Save your ear drums for the stage, you know?