Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
1zz Throttle body review/tips

Hey everyone!

A few days ago I installed the 1zz throttle body onto my 2009 yaris liftback MT.

I wanted to write up a little review and give some tips as to how it works and how to do it right.
First off I ordered the one with the part number 030 at the end, after I had both throttle bodies off the car, I compared the 2 part numbers on them and they both end in the 030. I think this is why the one with the 030 part number is more compatible with the yaris.

Tips on install: I had to get a deep socket 10 mm socket, it helped a lot with taking the 10mm bolts off the throttle body. There are 2 sets of 10mm bolts on the top, the second set is harder to get to and is where you need the deep socket.

You also need some gasket maker. I used Permatex Ultra copper to seal the space behind the throttle body to the stock intake manifold.
You don't NEED the high temp stuff like what I used, but it's what I had left over from when I installed my header so I just used it.
It's there to make sure your fitment is air tight.

Make sure you disconnect your battery BEFORE you start your work.
The whole job may take 1-2 hours, it took me about 2 with basic hand tools.
But during that time your ECU will reset. After you're done and have everything hooked back up, then reconnect the battery and just let the car idle, wait 10 minutes at the least, I know 10 minutes seems like a long time but it's worth it.

All those things helped me I believe. I haven't had any problem since the install.
The only cons so far are:
Very high idle when it starts cold. Not sure how high as I don't have a tach, but you can just get in and drive it and it will go away in about 30 seconds depending on how warm it is outside.

And the throttle sometimes stays open when I don't have the car in gear and I tap the gas, but it's only for about a second, like it has a delay.
This is also very rare and don't happen often.

The review:
Overall I think it did add a few ponies. I can hear my Weapon R intake a LOT more now and it seems to get up and go a lot better.
My other engine mods are:
DC sports header,
complete lightweight pulley kit,
Weapon R secret weapon intake with Ram air tube,
and custom mandrell bent 2.5" exhaust.
Definitely worth the money and time.
I did NOT do the chip swap though, and it has been fine.

I recommend it.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote