Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #1
Freestylin

Drives: 09 Blizzard Pearl RS LB
Blitz Supercharger Belt Slip @ Higher RPM?

Just curious if anyone else experience this issue (in the topic) with the stock Blitz S/C for the Yaris (Item / Model # 10182)?

I find under hard acceleration, I'd say above 4500 RPM with my manual transmission, the serpentine belt would start to slip on the supercharger pulley (I assume) which makes a definitive squeaking / chirping noise. Under normal / hard driving conditions under 4500 RPM, there is no squeaking / chirping noise and a nice S/C whine. When I go WOT past 5000 RPM, I feel some hesitation and boost loss which I believe is due to the belt slippage. Did anyone else ever experience this situation with the Blitz kit? If so, then would this be normal or is there a solution to this issue? Is this why some people run the fixed pulley instead of the magnetic clutch pulley as supplied by the kit?

I've done some research online that smaller S/C pullies tend to slip under higher RPMs, hence why some people change them to the larger diameter ones to have more belt wrap. However, I think this will result in a loss of power in the lower RPMs since it will take longer for the compressor to make one revolution as opposed to the smaller pulley.

Would one of the solutions be to tighten the belt past the 11-13mm used belt deflection specification? I tried tightening the serpentine belt past the used belt deflection spec to about 7-8mm and the noise is less noticeable, but slippage is still there under hard driving conditions past 5000rpm. I want to tighten the belt even more, but am afraid I will put too much stress on the rest of the accessory bearings.

For reference, I am using the Gates 66" 8 ribbed belt where I split it in half as other members have recommended. Also using a MI lightweight crank pulley if that makes any difference on belt slippage.. Currently using the supplied Blitz fuel controller.
“On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.” ― Ayrton Senna

Last edited by Freestylin; 07-09-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Freestylin is offline   Reply With Quote