Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
2 bolt alternator, lower pivot bolt

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows how to get to the lower alternator pivot bolt in my 1.5 nf (01 echo). I tried regular 14mm wrench, too short, I tried 3/8 with 1 ft extension from the side with a universal not enough room. I saw someone mentioned a harbor freight serpentine belt tool. I even tried my 15" 1/2 drive breaker bar, to big to fit the socket and get it in there without hitting abs sensor. I have ac so that line covers 1 of the abs sensor bolts. Making removing the abs sensor bolts a bitch. Even with it removed I'm sure i wont be able to fit my 1/2 drive with the 14mm socket I have. Some help would be appreciated.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
I used a regular 14mm. It feels a little too short, but you gotta snake your hand behind it and get it on just right. Then you'll probably need a bar on the end of the 14mm handle to get enough torque to loosen it. It took a couple tries and I dropped the ratchet on the bottom of the engine bay a number of times, but I eventually got it.
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
B.A.B.B (aka Big Ass Breaker Bar)
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
It IS hard to crack loose since they crank it down real tight.
When I replaced my belt, I tightened that bolt, but not to spec.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
salmonz

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Here's a trick that will sure make it easy.

Loosen the AC line bracket (10mm bolt) and push it aside. Then you can get at the 14mm bottom bolt of the alternator with a breaker bar or wrench.
salmonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
salmonz, I would LOVE a picture with arrows pointing at these bolts... I just bought a new belt at 87,000 miles and after I've heard screeching sounds after starting up a few times lately... but looking into the engine bay... uhm... I just closed it again. Couldn't get at the "B" bolt under the alternator, not even sure if I was looking at the right one (there is one partly behind the water pump pulley, and one above it, but it looks welded to the engine). Either way, where's the A/C line bolt, and how do I get a wrench down there?

Also, is the top "A" alternator bolt 12 mm and the bottom 14mm?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
swidd

I see one bolt on a bracket attaching the a/c hose to the engine bay wall, and another bracket/tube connector that just connects the two hoses. Removing the bolt in the latter seems would give me easy access, but it would open up for whatever is in that hose to escape into atmosphere.

On the first bracket on the wall, there is one screw and one bolt -- I am able to get at neither with screw driver or wrench... And even if I did, isn't there another bracket on the back end Of that line?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
swidd

Nevermind, I'm just stooopid.

I put the 14MM socket wrench in with the bar pointing straight up... put two extensions on it and it the bolt came lose quite easily. No need to remove the A/C line (I never should have but the wrench there anyway).

Setting the tension using a bar against the engine mount was also easy once I stopped trying to put the bar under the alternator bracket... and instead only put it in the top left corner of the alternator (looking down at it).

10 minutes! The old belt at 87,000 miles had small cracks, no major cracks. Quite dry, perhaps "50% brittle"? Like... not in any imminent poor condition... But I'm glad to put on a new one anyway :-)