Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Sandblasting Auto Glass

Has anyone had their auto glass sandblasted with some sort of design, or perhaps anyone bold enough to have done it themselves before?

I am not sure how well the glass will take to sandblasting as it might break or reduce the quality of the glass
Old 11-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
Wouldn't sandblasting possibly break the glass?
I think etching is done chemically but I'm not sure.

What are you trying to do? I have seen decals that look like etched glass. Maybe talk to a decal shop and see if that have or can get the etched look material.

Garson - D.A.D. aero
Zuenglein Dolci wheels
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
Has anyone had their auto glass sandblasted with some sort of design, or perhaps anyone bold enough to have done it themselves before?

I am not sure how well the glass will take to sandblasting as it might break or reduce the quality of the glass
as a previuos owner of a pt cruiser, peeps were using a dremel to etch designs into the windows, and yes you can use chemical etching as well
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saint
Wouldn't sandblasting possibly break the glass?
I think etching is done chemically but I'm not sure.

What are you trying to do? I have seen decals that look like etched glass. Maybe talk to a decal shop and see if that have or can get the etched look material.
That's what I suspected; auto glass could potentially break upon sand blasting. I guess I shouldn't compare auto glass to granite as the two are very different in composition...

I'm don't have anything particular in mind, but curious as to what sort of glass design work is possible with auto glass.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
You shouldnt have any problems using any of the methods described unless your trying to use an industrial sized sandblaster.
I have relatives who used to get custom sandblasting done on their old lincoln (the tanks with the rear port windows). Others have used the chemical etching and the most popular these days is the fake stuff thats just applied like 'the saint' stated.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Can anyone track down a high-quality picture of this done?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote