Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #19
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I hit 125mph not even taching 5k with just 7lbs of boost so 130 is easily attainable. It has already been proven that the big speed limiting factor is the tranny. The fuel cutoff should still be 118mph.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #20
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I hit 125mph not even taching 5k with just 7lbs of boost so 130 is easily attainable. It has already been proven that the big speed limiting factor is the tranny. The fuel cutoff should still be 118mph.
Interesting...
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #21
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
Interesting...
You can hit the fuel cutoff stock however it takes a while to get there.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
You can hit the fuel cutoff stock however it takes a while to get there.
Not trying to blow up my first new car (when I eventually) get it. But still, interesting.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #23
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Not trying to blow up my first new car (when I eventually) get it. But still, interesting.
Oh you would not come close to blowing it up...depending on where you are doing it safety could be an issue however the car can handle it especially with how long it takes to get there...haha. I hit the 125 with the stock ECU because I was running 18's on 225/40's. That gave me the greater rotation which essentially fooled the ECU a little. I am curious to see how the 12 works with the disc brakes included in the rear. I know many people that actually feel drums are better in the rear than discs. The discs to me just give better visual appeal. It would have been sweet if they would have offered an all wheel drive option.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #24
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Update: This is what I'm talking about, right here!

Sadly, this is an LE w/auto transmission.

I'm torn between Lagoon Blue Mica, Magnetic Grey Metallic, and Blazing Blue Pearl...at any rate, these alloys set the Yaris off!

My brother's '06 Xb has those same rims! I'm wondering if the dealer slapped them on from NOS wheels they has sitting around unsold in the parts dept....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #25
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
My brother's '06 Xb has those same rims! I'm wondering if the dealer slapped them on from NOS wheels they has sitting around unsold in the parts dept....
The dealer this Yaris was was at said they were put on at the port by the distributor. $799.99 is a bit high, methinks.

In the link I provided earlier for these aluminum alloys, a set of four is just a shade over $530+$30 shipping. I will take that route and save myself about $200, thanks.

But these alloys really look sharp. They have the little "TOYOTA" center cap and everything, they look stock, not special-ordered. That's part of the reason I like them so much. I hate loud, obnoxious wheels on cars. Tastefully understated is where it's at.

http://www.toyota-parts.com/scripts/...idproduct=-312
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #26
andruboz
boohachimono

Drives: 07 hb
Send a message via AIM to andruboz
so the vents don't blow on the cup holders anymore? I thought that was genius. on hot days the 20 minute drive to work can cool a coke down to a temp where i want to drink it.
andruboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #27
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Nope, no drink cooler/warmer any more. I have to admit I've come to appreciate the drink holder location-it really does warm or cool. Of course this can work to a disadvantage depending on time of year and drink of choice.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #28
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post
Good review. Please don't rev the engine to 6000 rpm since this car is going to be owned by someone else. It's bad for the engine being new and not broken in. Same thing with the brakes.

I have '10 fit and compared to the fit, the '12 Yaris LA Auto that I drove, was a floaty boat. The steering is much more vague. The car follows road bumps and groves like a car that's made for the elderly (think Grand Marquis).

The fit is definitely a more fun to drive car, has flat cargo floor/seats area, has a new engine design, but a bit more expensive.

My mother has a 09 mt fit and at work we have a bunch of yaris (from 2005 to 2011, one at, the rest mt) and they really both have qualities and defaults. I also test drove the '12 yaris today (mt). The fit has a more direct steering for sure, but on the highway, it's too sensitive compared to the yaris steering, and the turning radius of the yaris is significantly shorter, I delivery around town, make u-turns and such, and I can really feel the difference. I didn't drive the 2012 enough to say if it's the same or worst (certainly not better) than the 06-11. As for the shifter, the shifter of the fit is sharp, but a bit notchy, and I feel like you can harm the tranny more easily, the 2012 yaris seems to be a bit notchier than before, but I like it that way.

Also, the worst thing about the fit is that it's really noisy (the 2012 has more sound proofing apparently, while the yaris 2012 is not improved) and the seats are not comfortable at all for me (mainly because of the bump in the back and the lack of leg room), after 1-2 hours I feel pain, and the engine is revving really high with the manual tranny, my Toyota MR2 turbo 1993 is more fuel efficient on the freeway...

The 06-11 yaris wasn't much better than the fit for the seats, but the 2012 yaris now has the best comfort and driving position in the segment, and this is the major point that would make me buy one now, instead of something else.

So, the fit is fun to drive, and I can stand the harsh suspension, but it's still too noisy and not enough comfortable for me, especially if I want to make a road trip. So what's the point of that big trunk if you end up driving around town and cannot use the car for a long trip? And even if the steering has a quick response, in the end, it doesn't communicate more than the one in the yaris, you can't feel the road. I got used to the yaris steering and I like it has much for city driving (mostly for parking maneuvers and u-turns) and it's more stable on the highway. Both cars have a poor throttle response due to the drive by wire.

Otherwise, the new yaris seems to have more room in the backseats (as much as the fit, except for the head) and the fit and finish is nicer than before.

And the fit may have a more modern engine, but fuel economy isn't better, and both engine are still similar in terms of behavior (both vvti/vtec).
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #29
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post

Also, the worst thing about the fit is that it's really noisy ).
yep. its brutal. i knew after 2 minutes on the highway that i could not take all the noise invasion into the cabin.

its made even worse on the manual fit which spins at ridiculously high rpms.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #30
broody

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
yep. its brutal. i knew after 2 minutes on the highway that i could not take all the noise invasion into the cabin.

its made even worse on the manual fit which spins at ridiculously high rpms.
The 2012 has more sound proofing, but 3 years to fix such a big issue is a bit long... and the mt fit still has ridiculous gearing.
The yaris 2012 could be better sound proofed and have a 6th gear too, but it's not quite as bad as a 09-11 mt fit.

I read that the yaris se has 2.3 turns lock to lock, but the turning radius is much bigger, so I don't get the point in the end... for me the small turning radius of the yaris is what makes it better than most around town. And from the reviews I read, the canadian CE yaris has quite different equipement than the L yaris.

Also, I don't know in USA, but in Canada, the Corolla is a grand cheaper than the yaris... but I test drove the Corolla and the steering is horribly soft and slow.

Last edited by broody; 11-11-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #31
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
All 2006-2011 Yaris have the same 30.8 ft turning circle and 96.9" wheelbase

2012 Yaris CE, L, LE have the same 30.8 ft turning circle and the wheelbase is 1.9" longer at 98.8"

2012 Yaris SE has 36.7 ft turning circle and 98.8" wheelbase

The SE has fewer turns lock to lock and will feel "sportier" with a tighter more responsive steering feel. The compromise is it cannot make as tight of a U-turn.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #32
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
The 2012 has more sound proofing, but 3 years to fix such a big issue is a bit long.
the 2012 is the one i just drove. if they improved it i cant imagine how bad it was before.

there is still way too much road noise getting in. what they should have improved is the mpg's. the yaris, sonic 1.4, new versa, and especially the accent put the fit near the bottom of the class in that category.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #33
broody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
All 2006-2011 Yaris have the same 30.8 ft turning circle and 96.9" wheelbase

2012 Yaris CE, L, LE have the same 30.8 ft turning circle and the wheelbase is 1.9" longer at 98.8"

2012 Yaris SE has 36.7 ft turning circle and 98.8" wheelbase

The SE has fewer turns lock to lock and will feel "sportier" with a tighter more responsive steering feel. The compromise is it cannot make as tight of a U-turn.
I don't get how this is a good compromise, they could reduce the number of turns lock to lock without touching the turning radius. Maybe it's because of the bigger tires, but even then, you could fit 195 or 205 wide tires on a normal yaris without any problem as far as I know...

And 2.3 turns with such a big turning radius is probably equal to 2.7 turns or so if the turning radius was the same as the other yaris'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
the 2012 is the one i just drove. if they improved it i cant imagine how bad it was before.

there is still way too much road noise getting in. what they should have improved is the mpg's. the yaris, sonic 1.4, new versa, and especially the accent put the fit near the bottom of the class in that category.
On the highway it's true, to drive aound town they are all close I think. I get around 22-23 mpg (I drive them hard) from both yaris (previous gen) and fit mt when I make food delivery.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #34
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
The '07 TRU '08 Yaris LB was styled in France. It is very European in thinking. The center gauge location is smart and artistic. It is placed closer to the line of sight than the Mini Cooper plus it makes use of the additional storage made possible by this clever arrangement. The cup holders keep drinks cold in summer or hot in winter. If you want it cold in winter then re direct or close the vent. This feature is now standard in the Porsche Panamera. The center air vents are lower and closer to cold hands in winter. The dash is made of a special molded plastic that cuts the suns glare very effectively. What is often confused as cheap looking plastic was actually very expensive to develop. The dash isn't symmetrical as some think either. The center appearing gauge cluster and climate control knobs are off center to give the drivers knees more room. The optional armrest may look flimsy but it works very well on long drives. On my '08 I have extendable sun visors that are great. My car has great head room too. All 3 of my cars rear head restraints retract out of sight. The new car has none of these things.

The only reason I can think of why they restyled the car was to kiss up to Consumer Reports. If you'll notice Toyota's new Prius V wagon and coming Yaris based Prius C both have center dash instruments. That's another reason why I'll keep mine until a better one comes along. I'm not holding my breath though. I'm sure who ever is buying these new ones has their reasons and that's fine too.

The Automatic transmissions are very responsive. Initially it is very clunky and sluggish but after the computer learns your driving style it will adjust beautifully. It took mine a few weeks but has been very responsive these past 3 plus years.

Last edited by birdman; 02-20-2012 at 08:06 AM.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #35
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
i must say you had a pretty nice review of the vehicle. i didn't catch as to what color you ended up purchasing, but i also have an 12 magnetic grey L model in auto and i enjoy the hell out of this car.

the fact that this car has alot of room for 2 big guys plus cargo space, and it comes with a USB and Aux port. thats good enough for me. this thing sips gas, i feel the handling is very nimble. all in all i feel its a great car
Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPALK719 View Post
i must say you had a pretty nice review of the vehicle. i didn't catch as to what color you ended up purchasing, but i also have an 12 magnetic grey L model in auto and i enjoy the hell out of this car.

the fact that this car has alot of room for 2 big guys plus cargo space, and it comes with a USB and Aux port. thats good enough for me. this thing sips gas, i feel the handling is very nimble. all in all i feel its a great car
I bought a blazing blue pearl 3-door.

I agree with all of your comments.