Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
02 civic si

So, I would still have to talk my wife into it, but would this be worth it. I can do a straight trade of my car for an 02 Honda civic si with 120k miles. It has an outer shaft bearing (i think that's what he said) transmission problem that makes 5 sound pretty bad. However he will include a transmission with 800 miles and car fax on it that I woupd need to install. I would have to drive 4 miles one way to get this car. Its very clean, silver with black wheels (sound familiar?), with the vtec and an injen air intake. Worth it?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I'd just keep your Yaris. Honda's run a long time but I know alot of people who are regretting wishing they bought that year/style of Civic SI. For one, it's not a "true" vtec...it's kind of like how our Yaris is with the valve timing instead of how Vtec tradtionally ran the smaller lobes of the cam and then at a certain rpm, the bigger lobes along with the solenoid opening would give it that "kick in".

I like them personally but like I said, I'd just keep what you got...You know where it's been and there's NO surprises. 9 out of 10 times, people don't just trade because they are bored and want something new...
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
henrylee

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan Red Power pkg
How many miles are on your car? Is it worth the hassle of fixing the 10yr old car's transmission when you have a perfectly good working car?

If the Si has always been a dream car then I can understand.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38682
henrylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I agree. If this is your dream car then go for it.

But if this is just something that sounds like a better deal or too good to be true.. it probably is. There is probably more issues then just the transmission on that Si.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
02 only had 160 hp engine without proper vtec

also sounds like you're trading your perfectly good yaris for a 5-year-older turd thats had the shit pounded out of it

PASS
Old 03-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
There's no way I'd do that trade. The EP Civics were never my favorite, personally. I had friends with them and have driven them. It's not that they're bad cars, but I wouldn't trade my Yaris for a car with 120K on it.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
You're trading a perfectly good 07 Toyota Yaris for an 02 Honda Civic that needs major work? Are you on drugs, mate?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
I wouldn't do it.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
baseballfan416

Drives: 2017 L 3-door
Not a huge fan of the 02-05 generation of civic.

2002 was the first year of i-vtec... Meaning you benefit from a timing chain (as opposed to belt with what the vtec motors previously and always will have). We had rsx's growing up (my brother's base rsx was essentially the same k20 motor and transmission) and I would avoid this car like the plague.

Generally speaking, the 6speed transmissions in the type-s' were the problematic tranny's (and it was usually 2-3 synchro issues). I even had a brand new transmission put in under a service bulletin on my type-s. But the 5 speeds are usually relatively durable. The 160hp motor is anemic by today's standards (torque is almost non-existent). So either the car was beaten on, not taken care of, or it's a lemon. There's no reason a bearing should fail with that kind of mileage. As of last check, our base rsx had 180k (clutch/flywheel replaced around 110k).

Even if you have extra funds available to swap transmissions, I'd bet you'll likely have other issues since the transmission is generally a strong point when paired with the k20a3. I also have issues with buying a car that's even slightly modified (you don't put mods on your car to drive like a senior citizen). My brother's seen 3 vapor locked civics in the last 6 months at the dealership (all had "cold air" intakes and unsuspecting owners).

With the yaris you have mpg. Sure it's slow, but when gas gets to $5 a gallon this summer (which it appears to be heading), you're going to be a lot happier with a 40mpg car than a 30mpg car.

Just my 2 cents, I wish you all the best either way.
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Keep the Toyota,forget Honda.
This Honda sounds like bad news.
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Talking

Thank you all for input. You made up my mind for me. Very big help, ill just hold off. Guess I got ancy to get in something new. You guys are awesome.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Your Welcome
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote