Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
Hjoken

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE 5 door hatchback
Upgraded rear struts?

Looking for suggestions. My wife uses her Yaris for work and she delivers a large amount of paper (around 6-8 cases of copy paper).I noticed it does drop the rear quite a bit and started thinking I may want to beef it up a bit.

Any ideas?
Hjoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
You need stiffer springs or you can add an air lift kit that go inside the coils. Then you just add some air to them and problem solved.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Also load as much weight as possible in front of the rear axle to help spread the weight over both axles. Load the floor space behind the front seats as well as rear seats instead of trunk.

As Blue stated, stiffer springs will help but most stiffer springs I know of are lowering springs which won't help you.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Hjoken

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE 5 door hatchback
Thanks
She has both seats down and uses all the space available.Luckily she is not driving far but i figured I would look into the issue.
Hjoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Steve35

Drives: 2008 HB
try something like this and get a quality shock (like Bilstein) to control the damping

http://riderite.com/vehicle-search?y...is&make=Toyota

Steve
Steve35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:55 AM   #6
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Don't know if these will fit the rear coils, but a coil spring booster can help stiffen up and raise up the rear a bit: https://www.amazon.com/Superior-18-1...PNSJKH4FYR0M2Y
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
I'm gonna follow this thread for myself to see what you guys post. I'm a Lyft driver, among other things, with my car and I carry 4 other passengers all the time. The back squats so much that it rubs the fender over just about any part of the road, and that was on factory unmodified suspension and wheels, etc.

To be fair, in my case I'm running spacers and wider tires (square stance!) but surprisingly the rubbing hasn't changed much at all. It's still there but same intensity. My tires aren't showing much if any damage from all the rubbing, so those are doing great. My fenders, however, need work now! I'm going to find a body shop to roll them for me.

I'm leaning towards the air bags that sit inside the coils. Only $100 can't go wrong. Only inconvenience is that they are manual and I would constantly be adjusting air pressure to aid in load management and ride height.

Long term, I am thinking about good coilovers with stiffer shocks that way I can carry loads without having the car sit lower (such as with lowering springs)

With all the weight I carry, the shocks are too soft and they're way too floaty when they're loaded like that as well, so good coilovers come with stiffer shocks, I'm all set. Those are expensive though, so the airbags will do for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote