Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-10-2017, 01:47 AM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
NYC to Chicago (and back)

Just back from a road trip to Chicago for my sister's wedding. 1780.8 miles door to (same) door. Average MPG over that distance 36.06. Not too shabby considering the car was LOADED with cargo on the trip out and I was doing 70+ (sometimes ++) on the highway. There are also several hundred miles of city driving around Chicago included in those numbers.

This was my longest trip so far in the Yaris and I must say it is a great road trip vehicle. Very comfortable. The fuel capacity seems to be calibrated with my fatigue level. The car and me both seemed to need to stop at the same time. We were really in sync. Maybe we're soulmates. lol
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Ugh I avoid Chicago when traveling from NJ to points west! Youre right the Yaris is a superb X country vehicle!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Ha!
Old 08-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Not too shabby at all.

I drove my '07 loaded from Florida to California and found it very comfortable and thoroughly enjoyable overall.

Drove the '14 on a few much shorter road trips with no reason to complain; comfortable seats with decent lumbar support, good driving position, and skimpy on gas.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Chicago? That's my area. Damn, would have been cool to see an SE up close. I never see em here.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:10 AM   #7
gedster314

Drives: Asolute Red 15 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Just back from a road trip to Chicago for my sister's wedding. 1780.8 miles door to (same) door. Average MPG over that distance 36.06. Not too shabby considering the car was LOADED with cargo on the trip out and I was doing 70+ (sometimes ++) on the highway. There are also several hundred miles of city driving around Chicago included in those numbers.

This was my longest trip so far in the Yaris and I must say it is a great road trip vehicle. Very comfortable. The fuel capacity seems to be calibrated with my fatigue level. The car and me both seemed to need to stop at the same time. We were really in sync. Maybe we're soulmates. lol
I made several LA to Seattle/VanCouver trips in my Jetta TDI. Can't imagine doing them in a Yaris. Guarantee you my TDI was a heck of a lot more fun for trips like that. 36 mpg in my TDI meant I did a lot of playing along the way or just set the cruise at 85 the whole way. I miss that car. With the TDI, I had to stop and empty my bladder 3 times before the car needed fuel.
gedster314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:28 AM   #8
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
I made several LA to Seattle/VanCouver trips in my Jetta TDI. Can't imagine doing them in a Yaris. Guarantee you my TDI was a heck of a lot more fun for trips like that. 36 mpg in my TDI meant I did a lot of playing along the way or just set the cruise at 85 the whole way. I miss that car. With the TDI, I had to stop and empty my bladder 3 times before the car needed fuel.
My previous car was a 2010 VW Golf TDI. Biggest POS I ever owned. To me the Yaris is an upgrade. But I will admit that when the Golf behaved itself (rarely) it was a great driver's car.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:15 AM   #9
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I came to Toyota from VW. VW Golf, to be precise, just like NYC-SE (excluding TDI). Dear Lord, never again. That car was in the shop every two months. My Golf was truly a nightmare. Everything under the sun went wrong with that car, including multiple times when the gas pedal cable detached from the gas pedal. It's a real hoot when you're on the expressway and you've completely lost the ability to accelerate, or give the engine any gas whatsoever. The car became a money pit real quick, in addition to being a real hazard to my health. Switched to Toyota and have never looked back.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:10 AM   #10
Pizzaboyracer

Drives: 07 liftbsck
Tdi jetta lol

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Pizzaboyracer is offline   Reply With Quote