Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #19
Rocketyaris

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door
I bought Starnill 72w LED headlight bulbs on Amazon.com for $65 bucks. They are awesome so far.
Rocketyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #20
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Bringing this back. Wanted to see if anyone has tried LED's since this was posted. I drive on a lot of highways at night that don't have street lamps. Would like some extra lumens if possible. HID's are a no-go for me, too many issues with them in the past and the high beam usually doesn't work or stops working shortly after install.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:34 PM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
Bringing this back. Wanted to see if anyone has tried LED's since this was posted. I drive on a lot of highways at night that don't have street lamps. Would like some extra lumens if possible. HID's are a no-go for me, too many issues with them in the past and the high beam usually doesn't work or stops working shortly after install.
What brand HIDs did you get? I've had two Morimoto Elite ones from The Retrofit Source (on my second Yaris now), and they work great. Had to warranty the kits a couple of times, but after receiving the new parts, they work flawlessly in low and high beams.

If you want LEDs, I'd suggest waiting for VLEDs to finish their H4 Micro Series headlight.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-products/l...hts/micro.html

The H4 won't be listed yet as they are still working on it and a few other bulb types.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #22
heeroyuy01195

I've gone through a bunch of different brand HID's over the years and eventually about 3 years back I switched back to halogens.

vled has a headlight bulb listed for the Yaris but it looks huge-normous so I'm guessing it's best I wait for the micro series like you said. Curious how the spread will be on them vs. a halogen or HID. Time to consult the google!
Old 06-14-2017, 12:11 AM   #23
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
I've gone through a bunch of different brand HID's over the years and eventually about 3 years back I switched back to halogens.

vled has a headlight bulb listed for the Yaris but it looks huge-normous so I'm guessing it's best I wait for the micro series like you said. Curious how the spread will be on them vs. a halogen or HID. Time to consult the google!
My very first HID was some cheap eBay one, and never again did I decide to buy a cheap item.

The Micro Series supposedly lines up the light intensity to that of a halogen bulb, so I'm assuming it'll be good.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #24
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
I tried a set of Nighteye 80w LED bulbs and they were no good. Light output was low and didn't have any range. People with halogens driving next to me had better range and output. Color temperature was a bit off looking, was a bit too blueish. Threw back on my HIDs and man what a difference, it was like the sun vs the moon. Going to stick with HIDs from now on. I have a ballast from Xenon-Vision that is still going strong after 10 years and a set of cheap Bi-Xenon H4 bulbs from eBay going on 3 years now. I would stay away from Xentec, those are no good.
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:32 AM   #25
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback

26inch LED light bar, LED foglamp with three led bulbs and 43k HID headlamp.
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:04 AM   #26
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Quote:

Keep in mind that HIDs are much more brighter that leds. But leds are more clear than HIDs. I think the best solution is project headlights but there require some skill to fit them.
One thing that worries me to is that you have to cut the rubber seal to install the leds because otherwise they don't fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #27
heeroyuy01195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
My very first HID was some cheap eBay one, and never again did I decide to buy a cheap item.

The Micro Series supposedly lines up the light intensity to that of a halogen bulb, so I'm assuming it'll be good.
I'm going to keep an eye on the Micro Series kit. I've had HID's from ebay, some from more reputable sources, some from local sources, just never had luck with them. I also didn't like the spread pattern without a projector. If we had an OEM projector headlight option then I would likely try them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
I tried a set of Nighteye 80w LED bulbs and they were no good. Light output was low and didn't have any range. People with halogens driving next to me had better range and output. Color temperature was a bit off looking, was a bit too blueish. Threw back on my HIDs and man what a difference, it was like the sun vs the moon. Going to stick with HIDs from now on. I have a ballast from Xenon-Vision that is still going strong after 10 years and a set of cheap Bi-Xenon H4 bulbs from eBay going on 3 years now. I would stay away from Xentec, those are no good.
I'll keep these in mind but still don't want to use the HID's without a projector because of the spread pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yariseggvvti View Post

26inch LED light bar, LED foglamp with three led bulbs and 43k HID headlamp.
Can you show a picture of the light pattern and distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
Keep in mind that HIDs are much more brighter that leds. But leds are more clear than HIDs. I think the best solution is project headlights but there require some skill to fit them.
One thing that worries me to is that you have to cut the rubber seal to install the leds because otherwise they don't fit

I know the HID's are much brighter but to really get full use out of them, a projector setup is ideal, like you said. I absolutely hated the spread pattern when I had the HID's and I hated being flashed by oncoming vehicles. I don't trust myself to reseal the headlight properly so I'm going to skip the retrofit option lol. I suppose in a way the LED setup would probably be best in a projector but I'm still curious to try them.

I was looking into getting these
http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips.../12953bwx2.htm
My main drawback is that it's rated at 1000 lumens low beam which is what my current OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimiteds are rated at. The spread on those philips bulbs looks quite close to a standard halogen bulb but slightly brigher. I know they aren't meant to be a super bright option, but rather an "upgraded" OE replacement. Maybe I'll just go old school and mount two 6" KC lights in my front grill
Old 06-16-2017, 12:27 AM   #28
miiser

Has anyone ever tried LED headlights?

Quote:
I'm going to keep an eye on the Micro Series kit. I've had HID's from ebay, some from more reputable sources, some from local sources, just never had luck with them. I also didn't like the spread pattern without a projector. If we had an OEM projector headlight option then I would likely try them again.

I'll keep these in mind but still don't want to use the HID's without a projector because of the spread pattern.

Can you show a picture of the light pattern and distance?

I know the HID's are much brighter but to really get full use out of them, a projector setup is ideal, like you said. I absolutely hated the spread pattern when I had the HID's and I hated being flashed by oncoming vehicles. I don't trust myself to reseal the headlight properly so I'm going to skip the retrofit option lol. I suppose in a way the LED setup would probably be best in a projector but I'm still curious to try them.

I was looking into getting these

http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips.../12953bwx2.htm

My main drawback is that it's rated at 1000 lumens low beam which is what my current OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimiteds are rated at. The spread on those philips bulbs looks quite close to a standard halogen bulb but slightly brigher. I know they aren't meant to be a super bright option, but rather an "upgraded" OE replacement. Maybe I'll just go old school and mount two 6" KC lights in my front grill

These are extremely expensive mate. Literally. You won't even see an extreme deferent between these and the regulars. For me this kind of money for 2 headlights is absolutely out of the question. I don't know what's your headlight status (I mean how foggy they became over the years), but in the same amount of money you can replace the entire headlight module, and buy 2 new oem valeo's. that's better if your plastic has became foggy after so many years.

Led light-spread isn't better than HIDs. In fact HIDs has better light spread I think.

Our headlights are designed for regular lamps anyways.
But really, my opinions is: don't give so much money for these. It isn't worth it by any means.
There are decent leds for about 1/3 of the price. Starting from about 70€-$ you can get a decent quality. After all lights are consumable products. And you can't predict how long they will last

Old 06-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #29
heeroyuy01195

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
These are extremely expensive mate. Literally. You won't even see an extreme deferent between these and the regulars. For me this kind of money for 2 headlights is absolutely out of the question. I don't know what's your headlight status (I mean how foggy they became over the years), but in the same amount of money you can replace the entire headlight module, and buy 2 new oem valeo's. that's better if your plastic has became foggy after so many years.

Led light-spread isn't better than HIDs. In fact HIDs has better light spread I think.

Our headlights are designed for regular lamps anyways.
But really, my opinions is: don't give so much money for these. It isn't worth it by any means.
There are decent leds for about 1/3 of the price. Starting from about 70€-$ you can get a decent quality. After all lights are consumable products. And you can't predict how long they will last

I hear ya, I'm still up in the air on this. Going to see what happens with those slim LED's that Kaotic mentioned. Leaning towards just sticking 2 lights in my front grill somewhere for the extra candle power.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #30
miiser

Quote:
I hear ya, I'm still up in the air on this. Going to see what happens with those slim LED's that Kaotic mentioned. Leaning towards just sticking 2 lights in my front grill somewhere for the extra candle power.

Just keep in mind, that yes led is the future. And yes led lights are getting better every year. But still HIDs are in the lead right now. You can't compete an expensive-quality HID with leds. And especially 55w hids. If you see a title of a led light that says it's better than a 55w hid and brighter then it's a lie.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #31
Cezza07

Drives: 2014 Toyota Yaris L
I'm getting some HIKARI LED headlights on Saturday, along with Reverse (back up) lights and internal lights.

I have OPT7's in my other car and they are bomb....
SOOO much brighter than my old halogens, secondary to this it lights up the highway signs/cat eyes/lines and such a lot better.

Brake lights have been swapped out with LED's, next step is the indicators/flashers.

I will post before and after pictures once completed.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #32
jonce2001
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris TR 09
yes ...most are not great
BUT!! Try ATSHARK 110w 10400lm H4 tricky to fit as space is tight for fingers.
remove bulb, replace with a bulb base and clips in with original springs, and led unit
screws in, get a buzzing noise of the fan coolers but dont hear it inside
They are AWESOME!!!!! mind blowingly bright!!!!!
jonce2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #33
Yaris709

Drives: 07 yaris
I have a set of led's I bought from a local supplier and they were the top notch lights they had. Put them in my yaris and they're as dull as f*cking candles. Look bright looking at the car. Other people have had excellent luck with them. I had a set of led's before as well (more lower end) and no difference. My philips xtreme vision halogens are easily 2-3 times brighter. I don't think the yaris reflectors take well to led's in my opinion
Yaris709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #34
Yaris709

And I purchased an led light bar from amazon, just a cheap $50 23" cree light and it's like daylight.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:06 AM   #35
heeroyuy01195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris709 View Post
And I purchased an led light bar from amazon, just a cheap $50 23" cree light and it's like daylight.
Can you put up some pics on where you mounted it? I've been using some osram nightbreakers and they're definitely a huge improvement over stock. Still unsure about LEDs
Old 07-28-2017, 04:51 AM   #36
Yaris709

I have one of those licence plate brackets bolted on the front bumper directly. Gotta use a few big washers to get the 23" to fit. It's a pain to aim the light bar but doable. I'll get a few pics in the next couple days and post here. You'd be better off with a light bar than the led headlights in my opinion