Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Be_Jammin

Drives: 2010 Yaris Liftback A/T
Thinking about installing A/C

What do you guys think of this kit / do you have any experience with this site: http://www.discountacparts.com/2010/...is/AC_Kit.html

I'm not sure if the kit contains everything to install A/C, it looks like the wiring and other electrical bits are not included.
Be_Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
The kit includes: Compressor, receiver/drier, expansion valve, o-rings, oil.

You're missing (along with likely other bits and pieces): Tubing, switches, condenser, evaporator, refrigerant. There's probably lots of clips, screws, maybe a new housing for the HVAC system (beats me!). Don't forget switches, wiring, and associated parts.

Tubing will be the hardest thing to find, though a junkyard will help you. Actually, if I were trying to add A/C to a car that did not have it, I would go to a U-pull-it junkyard with the same year of car, and spend a few hours getting every last piece I needed. Even if some of it were bad, at least you have everything you need to physically install it all, and you can then troubleshoot from there.

Being that you're in Canada, you will not be able to buy R-134a. However, you can just hop over the border and buy as much as you like. Or, if you want to do it Canadian backyard mechanic style, fill it with cans of difluoroethane (Duster cans---Dollarama has some good ones, used them in another car). The RedTek stuff in Canadian tire is much more dangerous as it is actually a propane/butane blend, though I did that once too without any drama. However, duster gas works just as well and is MUCH more difficult to set on fire! :D

Here's an R-152a PT chart:

http://www.hvacsuitemobile.com/HVACS...a_TP_chart.pdf

If that looks like greek, either you're going to need to read a lot more about A/C, or you will be better off getting the parts, putting them in, and letting an A/C shop pull a vacuum to check there are no leaks. Once that passes, have them fill it with the proper refrigerant. Should not cost more than $100 to pull a vacuum (honestly, less because you have no gas to recover---let them know that), and not more than $150 to get it filled.

One more thing, if you do go the junkyard route, replace the drier/receiver and all o-rings with brand new ones as they are consumables (you can buy o-ring kits at better parts stores). And ensure the compressor has all oil drained from it first, so you can do whatever fill for oil the service manual says. And remember that the A/C system is under pressure. You should recover the R-134a in it, but since you probably won't, when you release it, realize you're going to get sprayed with oil that does not play nice with the skin. :)
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote