Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
ericlp

Drives: toyota echo
Old echo toyota owner...

Thinking about upgrading to a yaris soon. the 01, has driven many faithful miles. But, my goal would be to get something newer like at least an 2010-12 car... With about 30-60K miles on it is my goal.

My 01 still is reporting 42-44MPG (to me anything over 40 is awesome) so, I'd like to keep it that way.

What model yaris should I be thinking about getting or does it very on car? I heard that the yaris is still using the same 1.5 VVT-i from echo? I find it funny, I go to all the the auto MPG places and a lot post mid 30's? Is that all expected or do most drives just jack rabbit / traffic and ac on 24/7? Dunno, find it hard to believe.

I'm thinking with gas back down under 2 bucks a gallon a lot of small car owners are thinking the prices of gas might stick, and I can get a deal on a yaris. :) Since the major selling point was 4 dollar gas and great MPG.

I'm not holding out that this 2 dollar gas especially when hillary gets in as a president is gonna hold for that long. Then all those fools will be kicking themselves when it does start creeping back up...

I bought my car 5-6 years ago with 70K on the dial, and it pretty much gave me over 40MPG at the time the owner handed me the keys. Of course I changed out the tires 4 years ago and keep them at around 38PSI, plus clean the MAF, air box, etc...etc... to keep my 44MPG.

Do yaris's pretty much keep 38-40 right out of the box without just the recommended basic maintenance? Rather not get a prius. I heard that the new honda civic is easily getting 40MPG and is a fine ride. Tho rather stick with toyota and buy something used in the 7-9K market.

Thanks all that reply!
ericlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I've been averaging (according to the dash computer) a tad bit over 40 MPG for the 6 months that I have owned my Yaris thus far. Not bad, considering that is "around town" city/suburb type driving mostly, with just short jaunts onto the highway here and there to hop down a few exits quickly. I never get stuck in gridlock stop-and-go traffic though or anything like that, thank goodness - which would be extra-annoying driving a manual.

Good luck on your Yaris journey.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:04 AM   #3
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
On my 15 SE I'm averaging 37 mpg currently. And on another note, we don't discuss politics on this board.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
My 2012 Yaris L (5MT) gets 40-42 mpg pretty easily during the warmer months. If I drive a bit more carefully, I can get 45+mpg.

In the winter, however, it drops down to about 35 mpg or so.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Any year and model Yaris is a good car. Whatever strikes your fancy is fine.

However I've owned both echo and Yaris and the echoes the better of the two IME. All echoes are built in Japan and the same CANNOT be said for all Yari.

My 250,000 miles on echoes were flawless while my Yaris has blown a waterpupm and an oil pressure sensor in only 40,000.

Not good!

Unless the echo is in the shop a lot stick with it I say.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:10 AM   #6
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Any year and model Yaris is a good car. Whatever strikes your fancy is fine.

However I've owned both echo and Yaris and the echoes the better of the two IME. All echoes are built in Japan and the same CANNOT be said for all Yari.
I second that! I still get roughly 37 mpg on '09, which is surprizing, since I tend to abuse my car with WOT pulls on a regular basis.

If you do decide to get a newer model Yaris, i suggest looking for a japanese built unit. They're generally reported as a better build quality and tend to not have as many issues. The easiest way to tell is to look at the VIN. If it starts with a "J", then the country of origin is Japan.

In all honesty though, definitly keep the Echo, it's an amazing little car that just doesn't seem to wanna die.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:03 AM   #7
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
I second that! I still get roughly 37 mpg on '09, which is surprizing, since I tend to abuse my car with WOT pulls on a regular basis.

If you do decide to get a newer model Yaris, i suggest looking for a japanese built unit. They're generally reported as a better build quality and tend to not have as many issues. The easiest way to tell is to look at the VIN. If it starts with a "J", then the country of origin is Japan.

In all honesty though, definitly keep the Echo, it's an amazing little car that just doesn't seem to wanna die.
i second your second! i also own both and i find myself liking the echo more and more each day. my 01 has around 130k now and i purchased it with 117k. i also had an 08(yaris) that was a stick and i'm not sure why, but the echo feels more responsive? maybe it's lighter weight or drive-by-cable instead of drive-by-wire, but there's something about it that feels more 'zippy'.

now i have an 07 auto and the 01 manual and i DEFINATELY prefer the echo over the yaris. the echo has a slightly stranger look to it, but i like the fact that it's an old toyota that keeps on kickin'! i would just keep the echo until the wheels fall off, but maybe you're right about getting a great deal right now on a later model.

good luck!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The echo is lighter. So expect the Yaris to take more fuel. The slightly shorter final drive on the Yaris takes its share on fuel economy.

My avg, city only is 32mpg. But I don't hypermile for the short distance I drive to get to work.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
02echo

Drives: 2002 Echo 4DR Sedan 5SP
Ericip, im in the same boat with a mint 02 echo getting amazing mileage, but really like the 2012 SE's and even the brand new SE models due to their modern creature comforts. Im just afraid of loosing the fuel mileage and reliability.
02echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:43 AM   #10
BLKHILLSGUY

I've owned an Echo and two Yaris hatchbacks. They are both good. I much prefer a hatchback, so the Yaris is better for me. I don't think their is much difference in reliability between the two either. The only problem I've ever heard about a Yaris is a water pump. The perception of greater quality is just that, perception. They are both extremely reliable. The Yaris is probably Toyota's most reliable vehicle in their lineup. Longtermqualityindex.com shares all the data.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:38 AM   #11
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Actually, we do discuss politics on this board. That's what the off topic section is for. All comments on Uncle Fester (HRC) are welcome there....

Last edited by bentjazz; 02-19-2016 at 04:51 AM.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Actually, we do discuss politics on this board. That's what the off topic section is for. All comments on Uncle Fester (HRC) are welcome there....

Actually a mod shot down my What About Trump post saying politics is verboten here although it took about six months.

Too bad but I guess there are those who can't control themselves.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #13
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Anyway... my '07 hatchback with now 133k miles on the clock gets consistent 34 mpg in the city and god knows what on the highway. And I've got my annual speeding ticket yesterday morning, 66 in a 45. F.T.P.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #14
bentjazz

Bronsin, I thought your Trump thread injected some needed life into this forum. If politics are a no-no even in the Everything else discussion section, then they should define it as such. Perhaps a "Everything else discussion (excluding politics)" header would suffice. Otherwise, everything else means everything else. I, myself, will talk about what I want to talk about in the Everything else section when I want to talk about it. I'm not a child. I don't like being told what to say. Kick me out of this forum for caring about a bit of liberty and freedom of expression this Saturday morning. I don't care....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Actually a mod shot down my What About Trump post saying politics is verboten here although it took about six months.

Too bad but I guess there are those who can't control themselves.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
bronsin

Well...

This forum isVERY valuable to me for my Yaris so....I'm going to respect the wishes of the mods. Who knows what problems talking politics causes them?

I do agree with you it takes away something when they canned What About Trump. But I have a feeling if you read the fine print of the agreement when you registered that politics is a no no.

I feel I can behave myself and have a respectful discussion and respect the opinions of others so it's a shame but...it is what it is!

Please hang out with us and don't leave. I like your posts!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #16
BLKHILLSGUY

Follow the rules and quit whining. You don't like the rules, you know what to do.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:24 AM   #17
bentjazz

BLKHILLSGUY, do not pretend that you have any authority to tell me what to do. Not here, not anywhere, not ever.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:21 AM   #18
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Not sure why but every time i am along side an Echo and we're driving etc maybe because of it's lighter weight the ECHO has more go than my Yaris.Is the ECHO more responsive? maybe because it has a cable throttle not drive by wire. The Yaris needs a 1.8 ltr unit in it IMO. The 1.3 and 1.5 is perfect for the ECHO.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote