Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Autox @ ACS

This was posted on the Cal Club SCCA Solo board, looks like a great deal with no work assignment.

Attention Drivers!

Registration for the "Inside" practice is now OPEN. Register early, as the practice is limited to only 60 drivers per day. Last time we did this it sold out VERY quickly.

This year's inside practice will have NO WORK ASSIGNEMENT for entrants. Also much of the proceeds will be going to the charitable group AbilityFirst of Long Beach.

Expect about a 30second course and 16+ runs per day. Registration is through MyAutoEvents (you'll need an account) and paid via paypal (you don't need a paypal account).

Saturday's Registration:
http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=13168

Sunday's Registration:
http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=13180

Entry fees are $60 for a single driver, $80 for a shared entry.

FAQ
Where is this?: At AAA speedway, but not on our 'normal' lot. Head inside the oval and our course and paddock space will be obvious. A map will follow later

Why is registration different?: Because I say so. We're trying out alternatives to MSR, this one allows us to take entry payments at a much lower cost.

No work!, how are you pulling that off?: PFM is providing workers all day for this practice. Be sure to look for them off-duty and say thank you.

Who's AbilityFirst?: AbilityFirst provides recreational activities for the developmentally delayed community. Some of the participants are planning on coming to Saturday's event to watch and ride shotgun!

Why haven't I heard of this before?: Because I've been really busy, leave me alone.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
wow, love it. Thank you for posting it up.

**Registered for Saturday.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
wow, love it. Thank you for posting it up.

**Registered for Saturday.
Stop by and say hi, we will have both cars on the big track all weekend.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Will do --
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

[bump]

VERY low turnout for Saturday, can we get some more people who want to have fun and learn to go faster?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Jason@SportsCar

Summer time and everyone goes into hiding. Just shy of 200 cars registered for the road race on the big track.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I would be registering for this event but with the divisional the next week its going to be a bit tight for me
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Jason@SportsCar

For those coming to autox on Sunday, you can get a tour of the big track:

Sunday at lunch we will have slow track tours, everyone who wishes to go out on the track must have signed a waiver. We will line up cars at about 12:00 along the fence to pre grid entrance, pace car will lead cars for about 5 to 10 laps depending on how many show up! You must be in line and ready to go when we are released clear, late comers will be allowed out
Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ I saw that, looks like fun.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Jason@SportsCar

Just about time to head home, load up, and head to ACS.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

18 registered for tomorrow. We're going to get plenty of seat time.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Jason@SportsCar

Fun weekend at ACS. We were over on the big track, but Garm and some of the guys made it over to say hi.

Saturday things appeared to be going downhill from the start of the first practice... Rich Garver (HP Toyota Corolla) stopped on track about half way around on the first lap. Turned out the throttle cable had just popped off and he was able to get back out for qual and the race. Gary Wittman (HP AH) had a failing clutch in practice. He loaded up and headed for his shop, it was a long shot but he was going to try and replace and make it back for the race. Thinking there was no chance of Wittman making it back for the race I decided to save my good tires. Of course as we get the first call to grid he pulls in. Next time I need to pull a trans I am calling him. Wittman still had to unload the car and get in, we were out on the pace lap as he took to the track, he ended up taking the green well behind the field and never had a chance to catch up for a proper battle. I won HP, taking Wittman's old track record away in the process (was 2:03.9, dropped it to 2:02.1). My wife Jennifer, who was running her first Club Race in over 15 years, drove the 2012 Yaris and won the HP Regional race over Garver.

Sunday qual, Wittman came back with a vengeance, got the pole with a lap under the record I had set the day before - we were going to have a race. Wittman and I mixed it up for a bit on the opening laps, then I managed to get a particularly frustrating SP Camaro between us - this guy was dumping fluid out of his car all weekend, thought he was racing everyone, and had way more power than talent - this allowed me to get a gap on Wittman he could not come back from. A spring change I made between qual and the race and a fresh set of Hoosier slicks really helped in the slow turns, and I dropped the track record to a 2:00.7 on the way to the win. Wittman eventually freed himself of the SP car and came home second. Jennifer steadily gained confidence during the weekend, and by Sunday she was lapping quicker than Jamie Bestwick did in the car at the January race (which was his first race in the car).
Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

2:03.9 to 2:00.7 -- that's a substantial gain for the new record - congrats!

We had practically unlimited runs over at Auto X. My friend measured over 17 miles of autocrossing. Talk about seat time!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
2:03.9 to 2:00.7 -- that's a substantial gain for the new record - congrats!

We had practically unlimited runs over at Auto X. My friend measured over 17 miles of autocrossing. Talk about seat time!
17 autox runs... Got any tires left.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

17 MILES = 30-40 runs. We all lost count.

A6's are done. I changed to my street wheels/tires (R888's) for the last few runs, and beat my best time. Go figure.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Jason@SportsCar

Some shots from the weekend.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Great shots! Love the first one in the crowd. Yikes
Old 06-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
Jason@SportsCar

Video from Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-l2A11ars