Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
BlackTy

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
2008Yaris w/ 131000km due for oil change.Conventional or synthetic?Change filter too?

I bought a 2008 Yaris a few months ago. It has 131,000 km and is now due for an oil change. My first oil change since buying this used car.

What type of oil should I use? Conventional or synthetic?

Should I change the oil filter every time I change the oil?

When I had my Automatic 1995 Civic, I just went with the cheapest oil and cheapest oil filter. I don't mind spending more on a pricier type of oil and filter if that means better savings with regard to fuel efficiency.

Right now, PH4967 FRAM EXTRA GUARDŽ OIL FILTER
at $3.54 seems the cheapest filter.
BlackTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
You're going to get a different answer every time someone chimes in. Oil is a very personal thing.

That said....my daughter's Yaris was bought with 126k on it. I opted for Mobile 1 High Mileage 5W-30 synthetic and an M1 filter
Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 AM   #3
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
I am using Valvoline 5W40 as the temperatures in summer go often over 30 deg Celsius which would be on the edge of the 5W30 scale. https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...e6ee0b658.webp

It does not matter which brand you choose. Just pick something you have ever heard about before, e.g. not complete noname and get it from a store that guarantees that the oil is original, not some garbage shit poured into fake "original" bottles.

As for filter, I always choose a brand that is established and provides supplies to car makers. Bosch, Hengst, Purflux, Mann, Valeo, Mahle,... they are about 5 USD here. But Fram is also good.

Most important is to change the oil regularly. General recommendation is once per year or after 10,000 km - whichever comes first. I am actually changing oil twice a year - spring and autumn, each time with about 8,000 km. Not that I would love to do this but old engines just love new oil. :)
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
You should change your filter every time you change oil. only advantage of using synthetic is synthetic flows better when cold, Walmart has good oil or oil from any major oil company would be ok, stay away from no name or brands you have never heard of sold in some convenience stores. Cheap fram or better but still cheap super-tek walmart filters will work fine if you are changing oil every 3,000 miles or so, but if you plan to go 5,000 miles or more between changes I would use a better filter like Wix.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
JDJanitor

Drives: 2016 yaris
I was at Walmart today getting oil, I bought the 530 supertech full synthetic and a Fram Ultra filter that they say can go 20,000 miles between filter changes. I would hope to be able to go at least 7,000 or 7500 miles on an oil change I'll see what it looks like as time goes on.
It would be cool to be able to leave the filter and for two changes because I will go at least 15,000 miles a year but I am not sure I trust that filter would be good
It seems that as long as you change the oil and don't let it get old and sludgy your car should last a long time from what I've read

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
JDJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I hear bad things about Fram filters.

I've been using Mann filters on mine. I use Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A5 fully synthetic. I've also used the Shell and Gulf fully synthetic 5W30 oils. I do 10,000 miles on my oil and filter but my car is burning oil so its normally gone through a few litres between oil changes and i'm servicing my car twice a year at the moment.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #7
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The only DIY stuff I do to my Yaris is change my engine & cabin air filters with OEM replacement filters every 20K miles, maintain the tire PSI where I want it to be year-round (34-35 PSI), & hand wash/detail/wax car as needed throughout the year. For oil/filter changes, I opt for the dealership & Toyota OEM full-synthetic oil every 5K - which is only a modest upcharge from the conventional Toyota OEM oil recommended for our vehicle.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:52 AM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJanitor View Post
I was at Walmart today getting oil, I bought the 530 supertech full synthetic and a Fram Ultra filter that they say can go 20,000 miles between filter changes. I would hope to be able to go at least 7,000 or 7500 miles on an oil change I'll see what it looks like as time goes on.
It would be cool to be able to leave the filter and for two changes because I will go at least 15,000 miles a year but I am not sure I trust that filter would be good
It seems that as long as you change the oil and don't let it get old and sludgy your car should last a long time from what I've read

I have used Supertech Full Synthetic 5W-30 in my Yaris. It is good quality oil and will do 7500 miles no problem. The Fram Ultra is probably the best quality filter out there and can definitely be used for 2 oil changes. For the record I do not use the Ultra but only because I'm a cheap bastard who bought a bunch of different high quality filters at closeout prices at Walmart.

If you don't know about BITOG take a look. There is more information about oil there than you would ever need to know.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../forum_summary
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:11 AM   #9
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
After spending a good deal of time over at bobistheoilguy, trying to get to the bottom of the oil mystery, The best oils are:

1. Redline
2. Amsoil
3. Royal Purple.

In that order. Everything else competes for lousy slots that are somewhat distant from these top 3. For a filter, the Royal Purple brand oil filter is top notch. IIRC it filters down to 3 microns. Not a whole lot is going to get past that. Due to the other 2 costing more, I have always ran Royal Purple in our Yaris and it has 200k on it. With royal purple filters. I run the oil for 7500 miles before changing it.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:16 AM   #10
JDJanitor

Drives: 2016 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I have used Supertech Full Synthetic 5W-30 in my Yaris. It is good quality oil and will do 7500 miles no problem. The Fram Ultra is probably the best quality filter out there and can definitely be used for 2 oil changes. For the record I do not use the Ultra but only because I'm a cheap bastard who bought a bunch of different high quality filters at closeout prices at Walmart.

If you don't know about BITOG take a look. There is more information about oil there than you would ever need to know.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../forum_summary
I have spent some time over there. Really a wealth of information!
I will try two oil changes on the filter,aybe I can try to cut it open like they do over at that site.

JDJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
After spending a good deal of time over at bobistheoilguy, trying to get to the bottom of the oil mystery, The best oils are:

1. Redline
2. Amsoil
3. Royal Purple.

In that order. Everything else competes for lousy slots that are somewhat distant from these top 3. For a filter, the Royal Purple brand oil filter is top notch. IIRC it filters down to 3 microns. Not a whole lot is going to get past that. Due to the other 2 costing more, I have always ran Royal Purple in our Yaris and it has 200k on it. With royal purple filters. I run the oil for 7500 miles before changing it.
I've always ran RP with OEM filter. Due to lack of availability, I switched a couple years ago to AmsOil, and also tried their EK filters and seems to be great.

Anyways, I went back to OEM filters for cost reason.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic around 100k and no issues so far. I sometimes use oem filters but tether times I'll use a wix filter that I get from rockauto for dirt cheap but it comes in a different box for whatever reason. I change it out every 10k miles or so.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:10 AM   #13
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
You can get 10,000km out of non-synthetic oil changes, and the 1NZFE usually will do 400,000-500,000km reliably with that. What realistic gains do you expect to see from paying extra for synthetic oil?
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
There might be people on here who have engines other than the 1NZ-FE. The 2SZ-FE and 1KR-FE engines which are the main Yaris engines in the Euro market are not as tough as the 1NZ engine. They probably do benefit from synthetic oil. My guess is synthetic run engines are cleaner inside than dino oil ones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
There might be people on here who have engines other than the 1NZ-FE. The 2SZ-FE and 1KR-FE engines which are the main Yaris engines in the Euro market are not as tough as the 1NZ engine. They probably do benefit from synthetic oil. My guess is synthetic run engines are cleaner inside than dino oil ones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
True that other engines may benefit. I think the 1.0L has an oil pump issue and possibly synth would help extend it's life.

Cleanliness is more due to how much detergent is in the oil. Any modern oil/engine has plenty of detergent.

I just don't see the value in synth for the average driver/car.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #16
drusoider

Drives: Toyota mk1 1.4d-4d
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
I hear bad things about Fram filters.

I've been using Mann filters on mine. I use Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A5 fully synthetic. I've also used the Shell and Gulf fully synthetic 5W30 oils. I do 10,000 miles on my oil and filter but my car is burning oil so its normally gone through a few litres between oil changes and i'm servicing my car twice a year at the moment.
Hello
I ve a Yaris 2009 1krfe 1.0l engine. Someone recommended me the castrol oil. I read your post here and it seems like the same one you use. How is going your engine i mean vibration, sound or oil consumption in your car? I am going to make the annual service change now and dont know what type of oil is best suited for this tiny engine. Thank you.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk
drusoider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #17
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Synthetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTy View Post
I bought a 2008 Yaris a few months ago. It has 131,000 km and is now due for an oil change. My first oil change since buying this used car.

What type of oil should I use? Conventional or synthetic?

Should I change the oil filter every time I change the oil?

When I had my Automatic 1995 Civic, I just went with the cheapest oil and cheapest oil filter. I don't mind spending more on a pricier type of oil and filter if that means better savings with regard to fuel efficiency.

Right now, PH4967 FRAM EXTRA GUARDŽ OIL FILTER
at $3.54 seems the cheapest filter.
Toyota itself has changed a lot of their cars to synthetic. One main reason is that synthetic holds its viscosity longer and also does not break down as easy. When it get close to old change time, synthetic will protect better towards time. A lot of people also have gone longer due to that, saves time and trouble.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #18
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
Toyota itself has changed a lot of their cars to synthetic. One main reason is that synthetic holds its viscosity longer and also does not break down as easy. When it get close to old change time, synthetic will protect better towards time. A lot of people also have gone longer due to that, saves time and trouble.
Has Toyota changed to synthetic on anything and stayed the same viscosity? From the cars I've seen so far the only synthetic is a switch to 0w20 which is to gain fuel economy. Synthetic oil can go further, which is a bonus but comes at a cost. Also with regular oil it lines up with most people's tire changes for winter to have their oil changed at the same time as the oil (twice per year). You really should be having your car checked by a shop every 10,000km or once per year minimum.

From my experience, most modern catastrophic engine failures are due to operators not checking/changing their oil, or a weak hard-part (design flaw). Synthetic oil will extend the oil change intervals, but you will still need to change the filter at a certain point and check your oil level.

Believe it or not, I've found the most cost effective interval for my customers is 5000km with regular oil. Reasoning being that few people come in on time (probably 8K is about average and just about any engine can do that), and even fewer actually check their oil level. Many engines use up the reserve engine oil in about 5000km.