Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #109
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
For reference / interest, this is the setup I used to the clean the injectors. Installed a piece of tygon hose onto the injector at one end, sprayed carb cleaner fluid into the tygon, then put an air attachment on the other end. Secured with hose clamps. It uses the air to pressurize the setup to 10-15 psi; fuel pressure is ~50psi or so, so no issue for injector, but I didn't trust the hose clamps to go too high.. lol

To fire the injectors I had a couple of wires attached to my 12V powersports battery from my ATV for power (not shown). While I held the injector assembly, I had my wife hold the negative on one terminal and rapidly tap the positive on the other terminal. Did this until the injector was clear of fluid. Carb cleaner stinks - do this in a well ventilated area!

Spray patterns looked decent when we were doing it; because of the tip installed on the injector there are two distinct injection sprays - one to each intake port.

-- Adam

inj_clean_setup.jpg
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #110
atomic_hoji

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
I’d still say that -20% is still going to eventually result in a rich condition fault. Let’s see how it goes though, I’m inexperienced with the valvematic fuel mapping
Without looking it up, I believe you're right - beyond +/- 15% LTFT rings a bell for being considered abnormal. I'll see how these changes work and if it brings the LTFT value down further having a proper airflow straightener installed vs. door screen. Still waiting on my OEM MAF to arrive too. Fingers crossed.

I does sit in the back of my mind whether or not using a regular VVTi would have caused the same issues and/or been easier to troubleshoot. There really isn't a ton of information out there on Valvematic even though it's been around for a while. But, now I know for next time..

-- Adam
Old 12-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #111
06YarisRS

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Home cleaning of injectors = very cool.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped
2008 Yaris LE
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #112
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
For reference / interest, this is the setup I used to the clean the injectors. Installed a piece of tygon hose onto the injector at one end, sprayed carb cleaner fluid into the tygon, then put an air attachment on the other end. Secured with hose clamps. It uses the air to pressurize the setup to 10-15 psi; fuel pressure is ~50psi or so, so no issue for injector, but I didn't trust the hose clamps to go too high.. lol

To fire the injectors I had a couple of wires attached to my 12V powersports battery from my ATV for power (not shown). While I held the injector assembly, I had my wife hold the negative on one terminal and rapidly tap the positive on the other terminal. Did this until the injector was clear of fluid. Carb cleaner stinks - do this in a well ventilated area!

Spray patterns looked decent when we were doing it; because of the tip installed on the injector there are two distinct injection sprays - one to each intake port.

-- Adam

Attachment 60073
Nice set up for the injectors
Old 12-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #113
DarkShadowFox

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door HB
how much HP is this swap good for stock again.

Im autistic about 3rd gen yarises. ask me anything.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #114
atomic_hoji

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Home cleaning of injectors = very cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Nice set up for the injectors
Thanks guys. I've seen a bunch of videos on YouTube where people use the pressure from the carb cleaner can and it seems to work ok. I just figured a steady air pressure set by a PRV on the fluid would push the cleaner through as well or (hopefully) a bit better. Still not a professional cleaning and calibration by any means, but it was a good run to see if there was any injectors with poor spray patterns, streams, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
how much HP is this swap good for stock again.
2016 Scion iM literature calls the 2ZR-FAE 137 hp and 126 ft-lb at the crank - vs. 1NZ-FE 106 hp and 103 ft-lb at the crank. Yields an increase of 29% hp and 22% torque. As I've noted before, it's not #zomgihaveasportzcar fast, but it's noticeably quicker and makes the power differently than the 1NZ-FE. I keep it well under 100 mph.

-- Adam
Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #115
DarkShadowFox

Quote:
Thanks guys. I've seen a bunch of videos on YouTube where people use the pressure from the carb cleaner can and it seems to work ok. I just figured a steady air pressure set by a PRV on the fluid would push the cleaner through as well or (hopefully) a bit better. Still not a professional cleaning and calibration by any means, but it was a good run to see if there was any injectors with poor spray patterns, streams, etc..

2016 Scion iM literature calls the 2ZR-FAE 137 hp and 126 ft-lb at the crank - vs. 1NZ-FE 106 hp and 103 ft-lb at the crank. Yields an increase of 29% hp and 22% torque. As I've noted before, it's not #zomgihaveasportzcar fast, but it's noticeably quicker and makes the power differently than the 1NZ-FE. I keep it well under 100 mph.

-- Adam

i think i will use the LE eco corolla because it has 140 hp

Old 12-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #116
atomic_hoji

Quote:
i think i will use the LE eco corolla because it has 140 hp
My recollection is that the Corolla LE ECO only came with a CVT; I could be wrong if you look back to earlier years though.. If that suits what you want then you're aces - and may have the first CVT swapped Yaris? However, if you want to run with the Yaris AT or MT then you will run into difficulties. Pulling the engine from a Corolla LE ECO will get you a 2ZR-FAE, but just mind the fact that you'll need an iM (or other -FAE based) ECM to run stock with the AT or MT transmissions.

Of course, if you're mixing and matching engines and transmissions and not using a stock setup then you're well out of my league and diving into new territory.

-- Adam
Old 12-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #117
DarkShadowFox

Quote:
My recollection is that the Corolla LE ECO only came with a CVT; I could be wrong if you look back to earlier years though.. If that suits what you want then you're aces - and may have the first CVT swapped Yaris? However, if you want to run with the Yaris AT or MT then you will run into difficulties. Pulling the engine from a Corolla LE ECO will get you a 2ZR-FAE, but just mind the fact that you'll need an iM (or other -FAE based) ECM to run stock with the AT or MT transmissions.

Of course, if you're mixing and matching engines and transmissions and not using a stock setup then you're well out of my league and diving into new territory.

-- Adam
the 4AT is much stronger then the CVT why i wanted to use it, and i wanted the extra hp the torque numbers look absymal though on both vehicles both motors for these cars run for under 1000$ so this might be the next budget swap when working with the 3rd gens. #corollacru

Edit: Do the scion IM gauges fit on this car those are looking very similar to a certain model that was released in europe, minus the auris hybrid face.

edit 2: might have to just bite the bullet for now to get better performance after seeing this thread and seeing how cheap they are, i wanted an AWD turbo motor but theres no sense in going for more HP if its unusable and will cost more weight, the lighter engine from the IM will offset the small gain in HP.

Last edited by DarkShadowFox; 12-08-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #118
atomic_hoji

Quote:
the 4AT is much stronger then the CVT why i wanted to use it,
Edit: Do the scion IM gauges fit on this car those are looking very similar to a certain model that was released in europe, minus the auris hybrid face.
edit 2: might have to just bite the bullet for now to get better performance after seeing this thread and seeing how cheap they are, i wanted an AWD ...
If you're going to use the AT from the Yaris then I think you're best bet is an iM ECM; definitely have a look into it. Not sure about the gauges, I use the Yaris gauge cluster. Not sure there's an AWD drivetrain that mates to a ZR engine, that's new territory.

Update on the LTFT: I installed the airflow straightener this afternoon and went for a drive. It looked like the LTFT was getting better as it seemed to float around -17% or so, sometimes getting better, occasionally dropping into the -20s%. I reset the learned values and drove it home from in town... and... it's... -36% again. Poop. So either it was working, and then honking on it flung it into the intake and it's stuck in there against the MAF or throttle body (uh-oh!) or it's not working at all - in fact the door screen actually seemed better at that point, lol.

Still waiting on the OEM MAF to arrive.. fingers crossed.

-- Adam
Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #119
DarkShadowFox

Quote:
If you're going to use the AT from the Yaris then I think you're best bet is an iM ECM; definitely have a look into it. Not sure about the gauges, I use the Yaris gauge cluster. Not sure there's an AWD drivetrain that mates to a ZR engine, that's new territory.

Update on the LTFT: I installed the airflow straightener this afternoon and went for a drive. It looked like the LTFT was getting better as it seemed to float around -17% or so, sometimes getting better, occasionally dropping into the -20s%. I reset the learned values and drove it home from in town... and... it's... -36% again. Poop. So either it was working, and then honking on it flung it into the intake and it's stuck in there against the MAF or throttle body (uh-oh!) or it's not working at all - in fact the door screen actually seemed better at that point, lol.

Still waiting on the OEM MAF to arrive.. fingers crossed.

-- Adam
japans auris aka scion IM 2011(huurp i think)-2017 model years gets 4wd optional, what wont the japanese put 4wd on

ITS A BED IT HAS 4wd !!!11111

edit the gauges i am thinking of is a 2017 Sport plus gauge cluster face on an IM Frame.

Tags
2zr, 2zr-fe, 3rd gen, t-sport