Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #55
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
plastic from the factory-extremely resistant to UV
RIT dye...no resistance to UV

be warned....some time in the sun, 2 years later, what will it look like ?
will the Yaris resale go up or down ?
Couldnt one just simply redye them again in a few years if they start to fade.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #56
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
What truck liner spray did you use? That doesn't seem thick/gritty at all.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #57
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
It's the rustoleum spray can truck bed liner, i think I got it at autozone. I'll check later and hit you back. Here is what I've done so far, and I'll track all my interior mods together in another thread.

So far, I have died the AC vent blades black with RIT dye. This was the only piece I could get to dye all the way. So, I used the truck bed liner spray on the climate cluster and radio/AC trim. Gave a nice textured look without being over-the top. I also found that about 6 or 7 applications of ICE total interior care made the finish match in glossiness with the rest of the car. Then I used Plasti-dip on the door panel arm pieces, the dome light trim, and the map light trim. Finally, I used Dupli-Color Black Automotive trim paint to paint the Hazard switch and airbag trim pieces as well as my cluster trim. Looks awesome. I also got my driver's side door recovered with Feaux suede, but in addition to the fact that I messed it up and now have a little gap to fix, the fabric is a little too thin and wound up making the door look nice, but it didn't really look like it was meant to be there. I will be peeling off the feaux suede and using headliner material from the local fabric shop, which matches closer to the thickness of the original god-awful polka dot fabric.

Next in my quest to black out my interior is to plast-dip the rest of the light gray plastics, dye the vinyl sun visors with RIT, cover the headliner with black material TBD, and when i get enough money I'm going to get those Clazzio suede seat covers. Here are pics of the progress so far:

New Black Center Cluster:

Passenger Door (Still with stock fabric):

Faux Suede covered driver's door, plus closeup featuring my not-so-handiwork >:|

Map Light trim:

If I can safely dismantle the dash (which I'm not good at doing), I'm eventually going to use the Dupli-color trim paint on the whole thing. Updates later...
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #58
A1phazu1u

Drives: Black 07 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Dye

Part of the reason some of the parts aren't taking the black dye is because they require a mixture of acetone and water in order for it to penetrate that type of plastic. the mixture should be 4 parts water and 1 part acetone. That is the strongest ratio of the mix, but you should probably start with something a little less potent.
A1phazu1u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #59
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1phazu1u View Post
Part of the reason some of the parts aren't taking the black dye is because they require a mixture of acetone and water in order for it to penetrate that type of plastic. the mixture should be 4 parts water and 1 part acetone. That is the strongest ratio of the mix, but you should probably start with something a little less potent.
Good call. I used a mixture of acetone to take off the vinyl visor decals. Great suggestion, thanks. PM replied
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #60
PatrickJohnson

somehow just noticed the replies from February! Do you mean substitute the acetone and water solution in place of the plain water in the dye mixture?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #61
Judas Iscariot

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
303 Aerospace Protectant spray on would cure this problem if your having any. works great on boats and worked great on my Jeep soft top so should work in this application.

Aerospace Protectant is amazing stuff!
Judas Iscariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #62
PatrickJohnson

Sorry to resurrect old threads, I've been gone for a while :)

Is the acetone mixture for prep or is it meant that the acetone mixture is to use in place of water with the dye?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #63
peewee1
PEEWEE1

Drives: 2009 yaris s sedan
Great article on plastic dye job. Never heard of such an idea, I'm going to file for future reference... 5 star idea,,,,,,,,,
peewee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #64
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Would this work on the exterior plastic pieces? After several years of sun, the cowl above the hood is more gray than black, and I'd like to restore it.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #65
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookybathtub View Post
Would this work on the exterior plastic pieces? After several years of sun, the cowl above the hood is more gray than black, and I'd like to restore it.
Honestly the only real way to know is to try it out. I guess the good thing is if it works even the slightest, it's better than it was and if it does nothing to it, then no harm done.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote