Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
theb

Drives: yaris
Drum brake problem.

Wanted to check why passenger side drum brake is squeaking and did one mistake. After removing the drum I noticed that both pads are worn unevenly, left at the top and right at the bottom and also noticed that at the points where pads are touching that plate behind them when in resting position, are rusty. So i sat in the car and pumped the brake few times and immediately heard brake fluid leaking. After checking what happened, here’s the picture

I don’t even know what’s the name of that part but the right side was stuck. The rubber didn’t come off as you see it in the picture, I removed it to see what’s under and why it wouldn’t go back. And fluid was leaking from there as I was trying to adjust it. So somehow I managed to push it back in and now I think works ok, at least slides in and out as it’s supposed to.

Any idea if I have damaged something inside and did any air go inside the lines? I’m just not comfortable playing with brake fluid. Of course I could add some more in the master cylinder.

Here’s bigger picture of the brake. Liquid at the bottom is not brake fluid, it’s brake cleaner, don’t get confused.

theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
frambach

Drives: 2008 Liftback
I can tell you the name of your part is a wheel cylinder. I can not tell you if you've done damage to it. Maybe someone else can let you know that.
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
theb

Drives: yaris
I've managed to put back and tested the brakes and no fluid is coming out. But the brake pedal goes almost to the floor. E brake also goes all the way back and I don't think that its holding. Foot brakes does work but like I said its soft and goes all the way to the floor.
I did play with automatic adjuster actually I pushed it all the way back in. Is this problem due to that or air got into the brake lines?
theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
the cylinder is probably full of air. You need to bleed it. However, that should have nothing to do with the e-brake travel. Make sure everything is back and seated properly. The adjustment shaft may have come out of position when the shoes were over expanded.

I would actually take the cylinder apart and either get a rebuild kit for it, or at minimum clean it so there is no dirt / abrasive in it to cause the seals / o-rings to fail in a short time.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:04 AM   #5
rlynne
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I made this mistake too! Don't pump the brakes with the drums disassembled!

No big deal though it just means that you will need to quickly bleed it to get any air out.

It is very unlikley that you damaged anything IMO.
rlynne is offline   Reply With Quote