Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
Gavilaso

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 2007
Exclamation 2006 Yaris Hatchback Rear Camera Install

Good morning all,

I'm try to DIY install a rear camera on my 2006 Hatchback Yaris... i'm looking for guide or tutorial on what camera should i use, how to run the cable from the lic. plate to the radio etc...

Yesterday i replace the stock radio with a Pioneer 2300nex and i would like to add a rear camera to it. been trying to search here and on youtube to see if there is more information on it so i can have a visual reference but nothing!

Any help will be appreciate!!

Last edited by Gavilaso; 09-12-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Gavilaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavilaso View Post
Good morning all,

I'm try to DIY install a rear camera on my 2006 Hatchback Yaris... i'm looking for guide or tutorial on what camera should i use, how to run the cable from the lic. plate to the radio etc...

Yesterday i replace the stock radio with a Pioneer 2300nex and i would like to add a rear camera to it. been trying to search here and on youtube to see if there is more information on it so i can have a visual reference but nothing!

Any help will be appreciate!!
Many to choose from. And they probably all come with installation instructions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?
spm=2114.search0104.8.8.1c773fecDwh4QL&initiative_ id=QRW_20180912165856&SearchText=toyota+yaris+back +camera&productId=32339237968

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #3
rcvmini

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
I literally just did this today. I upgraded the stereo to an ATOTO A6 so I added a camera. I bought one off amazon that had the radar in it as well as the camera so it actually gives distances.

Running the wire was VERY easy just make sure you get a video/RCA wire that also has a power wire with it so that you can connect the reverse light to the monitor.

The one I bought didn't so I had to run another separate wire alongside the RCA/VIDEO wire.

I tied the power to the backup light which was easy to get to. I tapped it right to the backup lightbulb connector to make it easy.

I ran the RCA and power cable along the side the of the trip near where the carpet meets the door liner and ran it all the way along the side to the back. I then ran it up and back through the plastic trip of the fold down seats. Then along the side of the trunk.

Yaris trim is VERY easy to hide wires in. Easiest car I've ever dealt with hiding wires.

If you don't want to run it to a new stereo/head unit then I would suggest a dashcam/backup cam rear view mirror kit. Just grab one from AMAZON.

The only annoying part of the install will be mounting the camera. I would suggest one that mounts to the licence plate. I got one that had to be under mounted so I mounted it under the silver trim piece of the trunk.

One last thing... test the kit BEFORE you install it to make sure everything works. Nothing more annoying then setting it all up and running cables only to realize it doesn't work....
rcvmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #4
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvmini View Post
If you don't want to run it to a new stereo/head unit then I would suggest a dashcam/backup cam rear view mirror kit. Just grab one from AMAZON.
If you go this way, try and get a unit that replaces the original mirror. The first unit I got clipped over the original mirror. The extra weight made it vibrate so much it was unusable.

I eventually went with a repacement radio head unit that has an input for the reverse camera.

Yes, power and ground from the reverse light like RCVMINI said.