Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #415
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Be prepared for rear left to buzz the liner if you hit highway dips at speed while loaded.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Ah. I would not like that. Is that because of the spacers and tire size I have, or normal behaviour for a stock configuration? Thanks!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #416
06YarisRS

Have a snow day today so while the kiddies were out building a snowman - I am on "Daddy-Duty" today and took a short break - I decided to lay some compound on the axleback and hit it with my DA polisher. Would have prefered bolting it on instead, but that would have made me unavailable to respond when the kids inevitably started fighting.

Hoping for to get this puppy bolted up tomorrow - or maybe later tonight after the kiddies go to bed.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #417
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Ah. I would not like that. Is that because of the spacers and tire size I have, or normal behaviour for a stock configuration? Thanks!
Spacers.

So many people over the years have stated don't worry you'll be fine with your type of setup. I think the bulk of them must travel 99.9% of the time solo with no weight in the back. I've had very similar configuration, lowered 1.5", and I'm here to tell ya, the wheel mentioned will buzz the fender arch and it's annoying as hell.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #418
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
If you plan on using the car to carry stuff or people in the back then avoid lowering springs. If you want to use it as a fun sporty type car then you will enjoy the springs but it won't be good for loading people into. Iirc the yaris weight capacity is 800lbs stock.

I had 2 adults in my rear and 2 in the front on my lowering springs and never rubbed. This was before rolled fenders and I had my 10mm spacers in the rear at the time. I was running a 6.5" wide rim with a +35 offset on a 185 wide tire.

I did had some negative camber in the rear (approx -2.0) but it was fine. So Wee's experience is one thing but you won't truly know until you try it out
Old 11-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #419
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Quote:
....I have the Penguin 13mm spacers on the back and I'm running 195/65R15 tires. What kind are the springs and how much of a drop? Do you think I'd have any rubbing issues? I'm going to look online again for pics to see the difference. If I did go for it, how much do you want for the springs?

.....would you recommend synthetic for the 2ZR for normal, 'spirited' driving?

Thanks man!!!
I didn’t have any rubbing issues with stock wheels and tires, but once I put on aftermarket wheels it rubbed. The springs are MicroImage, 1.5” drop I think but very good quality ride. You have to decide what’s more important to you, spacers or a more performance look and ride. I would send you the springs for just shipping cost, but I gotta go dig them out. Like Trevor mentioned, you don’t know until you try...

I used to use Amsoil, until I did oil analysis on Amsoil and Mobil1....and saw they’re pretty much the same. I use Mobil1 10w40, but for normal use I recommend their 0w20.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #420
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
I didn’t have any rubbing issues with stock wheels and tires, but once I put on aftermarket wheels it rubbed. The springs are MicroImage, 1.5” drop I think but very good quality ride. You have to decide what’s more important to you, spacers or a more performance look and ride. I would send you the springs for just shipping cost, but I gotta go dig them out. Like Trevor mentioned, you don’t know until you try...

I used to use Amsoil, until I did oil analysis on Amsoil and Mobil1....and saw they’re pretty much the same. I use Mobil1 10w40, but for normal use I recommend their 0w20.
Thanks very much Tom! Your offer is extremely generous. If you have no immediate plans to do anything with them, would you mind if I gave it some thought for a while? I really have no issues with the current ride characteristics of my Yaris and I hope to use it with the family as much as I can for trips and such. I do like a factory feel ride and our roads around here are really quite poor in sections (rough and bumpy). One of the things that I have been thinking about for a while is a rear sway bar, but again, not for any perceived lack of handling with the factory suspension. My understanding is that it would reduce body roll, again, not that there seems to be much of that - at least in the way I drive. I'm almost thinking that lowering springs might be wasted on me.

Thanks for the recommendations on the oil. I think I may start using the Mobile 1 0W20.

Thanks Trevor and WeeYari for your observations as well. I appreciate them.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #421
WeeYari

Quote:
I really have no issues with the current ride characteristics of my Yaris and I hope to use it with the family as much as I can for trips and such. I do like a factory feel ride and our roads around here are really quite poor in sections (rough and bumpy).
Stay stock.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #422
tmontague

^agreed
Old 11-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #423
06YarisRS

Thanks Gents!

Click on this link if you want to hear the Megan Axleback. It's got a nice nasty growl from the 2ZR. I absolutely love the sound and it's not too loud. Looking forward to a highway drive to see if I have any droning, but the roads will have to be cleared up. Will likely be a few days before I can do that. Sorry about all the steam, but I had to open my garage door. I had my 9 yr old son revving it up for me. I'll do a better video later. Right now my son is working on the vid to blur my plate number before I re-upload it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAKOXFyWJE

I'm taking the car to an exhaust shop as I'm not happy with all the connections and positioning. I think it's still going to bang on the spring. It needs to be rolled clockwise a few degrees and held there. I also need new isolators, for sure. I'll let the pros handle the 'fine tuning'.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-16-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #424
tmontague

Sounds nice!
Old 11-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #425
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Sounds nice!
It does, doesn't it! I think I have a tiny leak up at the manifold/midpipe connection as I didn't get the flanges evenly torqued down on both sides. Although I ordered Corolla springbolt kits, I couldn't get both sides equally clamped. This exhaust stuff doesn't always go as planned. I figure a few bucks to get everything adjusted and secured by the pros is definitely worth it.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-16-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #426
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I like it, kinda sounds like mine if you watch my racing videos.

Make more videos! I subscribed
Old 11-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #427
06YarisRS

Quote:
I like it, kinda sounds like mine if you watch my racing videos.

Make more videos! I subscribed
Totally sounds like yours. I think I've watched all your vids.

Here's another vid for ya. I'm new to youtube vids, so don't expect much, LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY

Old 11-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #428
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Totally sounds like yours. I think I've watched all your vids.

Here's another vid for ya. I'm new to youtube vids, so don't expect muchTSGkY[/URL]
Awesome man! Keep it up, your doing great!
Old 11-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #429
06YarisRS

Quote:
Awesome man! Keep it up, your doing great!
Thanks man! Gotta say, I'm just loving the sound of that 2ZR/Megan combo! She's got a nice growl.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #430
06YarisRS

Stocking Stuffers

Santa thought it prudent to reward, early, all the good little boys who helped 06YarisRS with his swap (Sorry, I don't normally talk in the 3rd person)! Some are already enroute south of the border from the North Pole.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-21-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #431
WeeYari

^ Nice.

I never would have imagined my comment about sporting a TS badge would become such a North American movement. Gonna look sharp.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #432
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
^ Nice.

I never would have imagined my comment about sporting a TS badge would become such a North American movement. Gonna look sharp.

All brilliant ideas should be acted upon. It was an inspirational comment!