Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Carb and Smog legal engine swaps

Hi im looking for carb and smog legal engine swaps for the 3rd gen yaris.

Im mostly looking into the '15+ but i can take anywhere from '13-'18

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
DarkShadowFox
Banned

engine bay dimensions yaris.png

yaris 3rd gen engine bay uploaded above.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Probably try asking your local DMV/smog/certification station for a list of legal engine swaps????
Old 12-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Probably try asking your local DMV/smog/certification station for a list of legal engine swaps????
no because that doesnt exist.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
no because that doesnt exist.
You guys aren't required to have smog tests done, nor have any department of transportation offices there?
Old 12-04-2018, 05:25 AM   #6
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
You guys aren't required to have smog tests done, nor have any department of transportation offices there?
we are theres no specific list for a specific car on what fits specficially. the rules are no chassis rail mods must fit in vehicle. same year, same manufacturer or if not must physically fit in the vehicle and look like it belongs there and will make it a grey market vehicle.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
we are theres no specific list for a specific car on what fits specficially. the rules are no chassis rail mods must fit in vehicle. same year, same manufacturer or if not must physically fit in the vehicle and look like it belongs there and will make it a grey market vehicle.
hmmm, maybe look at the 2ZR-FE? I know a few members have done that swap. Don't quote me on it, but I believe it checks off all of those requirements. I would imagine it'll fit in the 3rd gen's engine bay since I don't think it's vastly different from the 2nd gen.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Have you looked through Tom's thread?

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56031
Old 12-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #9
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Have you looked through Tom's thread?

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56031
that engine is not legal in a 2013 and up.

none of them are. has to be same year or newer. im a 2015 so it has to be same year aka 2015 or newer.

a 2015 corolla motor is legal to swap in but the process is alot different as the entire wiring harness is different:

insert wiring harness file thats way too big to post here.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
DarkShadowFox
Banned

here i have uploaded the plugs file to a 30 day free host.

i cannot find the actual harness because im not a tech dealer and i dont have 3000000 dollars to do this finding stuff

https://ufile.io/28pob
Old 12-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
that engine is not legal in a 2013 and up.

none of them are. has to be same year or newer. im a 2015 so it has to be same year aka 2015 or newer.

a 2015 corolla motor is legal to swap in but the process is alot different as the entire wiring harness is different:

insert wiring harness file thats way too big to post here.
ummm, I wasn't saying specifically to source a 2013 engine, but more as a reference. The 2ZR-FE is still offered in the Corolla line up, so you can get a 2015 or newer one.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
I think you need to consider your path forward..

Legality, grey market, and all that is up to you; I really recommend you read and clearly understand the requirements of your State though.

Regarding the swap itself, in all honesty, if you can't figure out what fits (especially given the resources here on YW) and don't seem to see value in following a established build thread - i.e. here's the option, the parts and work required - and aren't able to modify the process to fit the requirements you need, then maybe diving headlong into an engine swap isn't right for you.

The 2ZR-FE or -FAE come from a 2015+ Corolla or iM; this meets what you indicate you need - actually you say anywhere from 2013-2018, then say 2015+.. but I digress. The swap is well documented as to what parts you need to get it mechanically into a Yaris; M/T and A/T have been done in 2nd gens, and I did the swap in a M/T 3rd gen. Electrically, the ECM connectors are compatible for 2014+ and I documented that there are very few differences between the iM and the Yaris that need re-configuring; I imagine the Corolla sedan isn't too terribly different. It doesn't get more straight forward than that.

If you think you want something else, you have a lot more research to do if you're going to be successful. But hey, if you use a different engine and can make it work, great! Take pictures, document it, and post your findings in a build thread as there are lots of us here who will be excited to see it.

Throwing bolt-on import body and interior parts at your car is cool to make it unique, but an engine swap is a more substantial game. Just sayin' - be realistic.

-- Adam
Old 12-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #13
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
I think you need to consider your path forward..

Legality, grey market, and all that is up to you; I really recommend you read and clearly understand the requirements of your State though.

Regarding the swap itself, in all honesty, if you can't figure out what fits (especially given the resources here on YW) and don't seem to see value in following a established build thread - i.e. here's the option, the parts and work required - and aren't able to modify the process to fit the requirements you need, then maybe diving headlong into an engine swap isn't right for you.

The 2ZR-FE or -FAE come from a 2015+ Corolla or iM; this meets what you indicate you need - actually you say anywhere from 2013-2018, then say 2015+.. but I digress. The swap is well documented as to what parts you need to get it mechanically into a Yaris; M/T and A/T have been done in 2nd gens, and I did the swap in a M/T 3rd gen. Electrically, the ECM connectors are compatible for 2014+ and I documented that there are very few differences between the iM and the Yaris that need re-configuring; I imagine the Corolla sedan isn't too terribly different. It doesn't get more straight forward than that.

If you think you want something else, you have a lot more research to do if you're going to be successful. But hey, if you use a different engine and can make it work, great! Take pictures, document it, and post your findings in a build thread as there are lots of us here who will be excited to see it.

Throwing bolt-on import body and interior parts at your car is cool to make it unique, but an engine swap is a more substantial game. Just sayin' - be realistic.

-- Adam

i want an AWD drivetrain i think.

also my imported body parts are much cheaper then an engine swap and look better because its a middle finger to the man for not giving me what i wanted aka toyota so im going to build it and be the only one in the US for now until everyone jumps on the bandwagon and copys me.

why i wont say what engine im using, i think ill document it but I doubt ill ever release it. I tried to be unique and everyone including toyota stole the corolla engine idea from me when i used to float between a 2GR which is way too big and a 2ZR because it was 213 pounds wet plus not alot more for a trans but i digress, whatever it is.

probably will be about 3 at the clutch 2 something at the wheels due to loss and will cost me alot.

i got 9 years to build this thing not in a rush. wait for alot of people on the 3rd gen swaps to finish so i dont get interrupted.

realistic? when have i ever been realistic. im importing 2018 body parts from japan for crying out loud, im not in a rush as im not available for car shows.

oh and edit: FYI, the guy who blocked me for being dramatic for wanting to use your container to import parts, well i found another solution so im still getting my GR/GRMN bumper.

not about fast anyways. fast is for people who cant drive and are impatient. :P the 1NZFE is fast enough to where ive gotten 100 mph plus speeding tickets for it, its low weight is easy to throw the power around in.

provisionally adding another edit if you look at the LE / SE rear axle you will see some hold in the brake dust guard and a giant tube lump where the exhaust goes, thats for a rear powered axel and driveshaft for the 1.3 electronically (magnetically) covered in another thread by CT scott when i asked around 4WD drivetrain for the 1.3 1nzfe.

in the US all we get are 4 variants of the RS one without a power package and one with a power package aka powered mirrors and stuff i sware power package was lost in translation to toyota and they thought HP.

but thats my rant the photo in my PFP is a 2013 GRMN i wont be building that its just the only HD one i could find that i wanted to use.

edit again and because the 2013 and onwards yarises are all steel and i have the diagram in the body repair section of what steel used where cutting and welding isnt too much of a scary thought for me its more or less the price of getting stuff pressed and one offed like shorter CV axels and wiring electrical BS that im not too keen on working with, will probably get a second daily or something.

edit again i just need to find out where the SE spot welds are on the chassis and i can stiffen the 3door up a bit, the roofline and upper body feels like its flexy and wiggly when im turning its very top heavy like an SUV.

diversion over.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #14
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
:face plam:
I ... but ... you ... whaaat?!

Look, just LS swap it - it'll fit, I've measured.

Pics or it didn't happen, Bro.

-- Adam

p.s. - I think the colourful haired little bugger found the kibble; I'm so sorry everyone.. I didn't mean to feed it.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #15
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
:face plam:
I ... but ... you ... whaaat?!

Look, just LS swap it - it'll fit, I've measured.

Pics or it didn't happen, Bro.

-- Adam

p.s. - I think the colourful haired little bugger found the kibble; I'm so sorry everyone.. I didn't mean to feed it.
youre just mad because ive imported almost an entire GRMN body kit, its in my build thread. someone stole the front bumper from me ironically and disallowed me a shipping container to use so i probably will have to open up my long list of japanese contacts with GR/ GRMNs and horribly translate till iget one complete. already asked a few websites for it if they havent completey attempted to burn me already selfish pricker.

LS swap is for a retard if your not using a toyota motor you shouldnt be touching a car.

also your making fun of me but if you do half the research i do you will notice all these things.

the 1.3 from japan does indeed come with 4WD its electromagnetic (under 25) its the same transfer case the 2008 rav4 uses its like 1300 usd. and the exhaust tube lump on the bottom is for a driveshaft. if you dont believe me then dont come here and give me crap for doing my work.

the spotwelding on the car is easy because everthings on tabs.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I'm not sure for the Yaris, but the echo hatchback had the gas tank on the way for a AWD swap.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #17
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I'm not sure for the Yaris, but the echo hatchback had the gas tank on the way for a AWD swap.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
cut the floor pan raise the tank up more. youd lose like a few inches of cargo room.

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_ca...vitz/21658789/

see here for reference as they did not change the underbody for 2013 and onwards

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57031

so its not hard i just have to make a tunnel for the driveshaft also that tank in the 4WD version is a corolla tank because the corolla useses that same ballasty style hump tank for some reason..... >.>

*looks under moms corolla* yep
Old 12-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #18
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Quote:
oh and edit: FYI, the guy who blocked me for being dramatic for wanting to use your container to import parts, well i found another solution so im still getting my GR/GRMN bumper.
good. I denied helping you cause you were an asshole, not to stop you from importing. Hell, I even recommended Nengun to help with container shipments. I worked hard to get jdm parts for the yaris, have a vast wealth of information, and try to spread it to others who understand the costs and time i need to do so. Not my problem you dealt with shady people in the past, but I don't go around accusing and warning other people blindly, it comes out as an insult.

EVERY time i talk to you you seem to misunderstand in some manner, make assumptions, then always seem to leave a bad impression.

But hey, not your fault, you got autism.

Last edited by enviri; 12-11-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Closed Thread