Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Sparkplugs?

I'm interested to see peoples spark plug preferences. I prefer Bosch Platinum or Iridium. NGK is the OEM plugs used in the Yaris and they are great as well. I used some plugs once called E3 and they sucked in my Tacoma and my Odyssey. They actually made my Odyssey run like crap. Some plugs promise better performance. Anone know of any that do, and if so, do they?
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
I only use Bosch. Have had cracked NGK's in the past.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Pricey, but in all my supercharged trucks, I've run Denso Iriduim plugs. Dont know if its worth the price to try in the Yaris though..

Biggest mistake, is people fail to GAP their plugs correctly.. they dont just go from the box, into the car!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Do you know of a local supplier for them?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
My manual says the Yaris comes with Iridium plugs from the factory.
I have always been a Champion copper plug guy myself.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
Violin

NGK also has an "Iridium" line. Does the manual specify the manufacturer? Those Densos run about $10 apiece online.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Denso isn't for the budget buyer.. but not sure if it will make as big a deal, as on a boosted engine.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
acrbill

I'm sure Toyota went with an iridium plug for longevity. Any plug will do the job.
I used to spike to 24psi in my turbo PT and I never had an issue with the copper Champions. I would change them out every other oil change though since they where so cheap.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
NGK or Denso

Bosch and champion are both designed with 2 piece insulators. PISS POOR construction design and they know it so do the auto mfgs and that's why you don’t see very many auto mfg's using their products. What happens is as the plug/insulator erodes along the heavy electrode, the 2 piece insulator can separate and usually does and this allows the plug to arc out internally causing plug miss-fires. If not changed often enough the insulator become week and will eventually crack and break off and fall into the engine.

With an Iridium plug NGK or other the fine wire design along with the iridium plated electrode dissipate heat mush better and eliminate erosion and because They have a 1 piece insulator design they can't arc out/short out and that's what makes the longest lasting plug.
The only way to crack the insulator is to drop the plug or run it under extreme detonation conditions.

I have a champion plug test machine. Beside the bead blasting abilities, It has a high psi compression chamber /combustion chamber simulator that allows you to test fire plugs under compression, it also uses intense lights and magnifying scope to carefully inspect every detail of the plug. I have used this machine for years to read and inspect plugs from my race engines. I use it to dial in jetting and inspect plugs before and after use for any problems. I can say with out any doubt NGK and Denso have by far the best plug construction and quality. Both are built to the same basic specs with some small differences but some things are identical like indexing points, thread depth, body construction and insulator design etc. Firing tip design and stud mounts may be slightly different but overall they are the same plug.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #10
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Generally, do you think that it worths the extra cost?
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #11
acrbill

I would keep the stock plugs in there. People spend big bucks on iridium plugs and we have them stock.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #12
Violin

I just rolled over 30,000 and was getting ready to replace the spark plugs as I always have for the last 30 years when I read the manual and saw that they don't need to be replaced for another 90,000 miles!

Do the NGK Iridium plugs really last that long?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:11 AM   #13
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
This is what I put on my Yaris

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=960&PTSet=A
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
NGK Laser Iridium, for sure...Champions are best for lawn mowers and 4 wheelers
Everybody has a preference. This thread could carry on until 2012. I just avoid the American brands: Allied signal (Autolite, Champion) are about the worst IMO. Bosch is the second best for sure, they have crazy testing facilities, check out their website.
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #15
flint_mica_manual

Drives: S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
I'm interested to see peoples spark plug preferences. I prefer Bosch Platinum or Iridium. NGK is the OEM plugs used in the Yaris and they are great as well. I used some plugs once called E3 and they sucked in my Tacoma and my Odyssey. They actually made my Odyssey run like crap. Some plugs promise better performance. Anone know of any that do, and if so, do they?
I have owned an 85 VW golf, a chevette, and 2 geo storms. I tried Bosch platinums in every one of them, and they all failed after 100 miles -- misfiring, bizarre idiling, etc. . . .I always then replaced them with the cheapest AC delcos or NGKs I could find -- being all ticked off at blowing all that money on the Bosch platinums, and I never had a problem. I ain't a big fan of Bosch, but NGK and AC delcos are good plugs IMHO.
flint_mica_manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #16
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint_mica_manual View Post
I have owned an 85 VW golf, a chevette, and 2 geo storms. I tried Bosch platinums in every one of them, and they all failed after 100 miles -- misfiring, bizarre idiling, etc. . . .I always then replaced them with the cheapest AC delcos or NGKs I could find -- being all ticked off at blowing all that money on the Bosch platinums, and I never had a problem. I ain't a big fan of Bosch, but NGK and AC delcos are good plugs IMHO.
When you say "failed", do you mean fouled or what? Ive used Bosch Platinums in many of my cars and they always made them run great. Smooth and sure firing. You were putting them in pretty old cars and I wonder if the problem wasn't the plug, but the engine. Were they gapped correctly?
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #17
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
That's the biggest thing: you have to be very particular in your gapping. The only plugs I've seen that are truly "pre-gapped" are the Bosch +4's and +2's. They don't have any adjustment. I used Bosch in my 88 S10, and to this day they run perfectly. All in the details, IMO...
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #18
pabsan

Drives: yaris hb 1.3 2002
in conclusion, what benefits would my yaris obtain from iridium plugs? is it worth the money?
pabsan is offline   Reply With Quote