Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Chwbcca

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan Manual
iPhone or iPod outside of the glovebox, a possibility?

So I love using my stereo to control my iphone, however, I love to fiddle with it whilst I'm driving, nothing dangerous mostly the GPS and such since I'm a delivery driver.

I wanted to know if the glovebox is the only place where the USB cable connects... I've seen factory cables for the iPhone but I don't know if they'll fit my 2012 HB and also whether or not they'll allow my phone to be outside of the glovebox.... Thanks!
Chwbcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
it really depends on how much effort you want to put into it. you could do the simple thing and buy a longer cable, or you could do it the hard way and put the usb imput anywhere you want to in the car, the choice is really up to you.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Chwbcca

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
it really depends on how much effort you want to put into it. you could do the simple thing and buy a longer cable, or you could do it the hard way and put the usb imput anywhere you want to in the car, the choice is really up to you.
Well I was quite curious to know whether or not there is another port somewhere where the iPod can be hooked up...
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
dragoonmc

Drives: 07 hatchback
I ran my cord through the center and out next to the cigarette light socket.
There is a rectangle that pops back into the panel
dragoonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i doubt there is another port, I'd almost guarantee that is the only one. But with some effort you could relocate it yourself.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
What I did was purchase a short USB extension cable. I plugged that cable extension into the USB outlet. I then ran the extension cable behind the glove box and over to the center console. I then plugged the Apple cable into the extension cable at that point. This way, I can close the glovebox completely with no wires dangling about.

Now, I have this Apple cable coiled up behind a cup holder mounted phone cradle. This gives me visual and physical access to the phone. If needed, I can pick the phone up and move it towards me with the colied up cable still attached. Most of the time, I simply leave the phone in the cradle and rely on a Bluetooth headset for talking. This setup works for me.
mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Chwbcca

This last option sounds like a great idea!

I'll try and give it a shot as soon as we're not -8 degrees out here in Minnesota!

Did you have to do a lot of disassembly?
How long did it take you?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
There was no hassle whatsoever in installing. Only took a minute or two. Just plug the extension in, drop it behind the glove box, and reach underneath and behind to thread it down to the center console. It is a hack, but works. When I get time, I shall probably drill a hole or something and make it look more custom.

One of my friends said the official Apple cable itself was all you need, and when I tested that, yes, it just reached, but there was not much extra to play with in regard to length.

This is an inexpensive and easy way to get it done. I now have easy access to the screen for any adjustments. Since this is my phone I am using, I can also talk on it, as well as FaceTime, although it is a bad angle from that far down.

I look forward to hearing about your results.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote