Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Help Me Buy a DSLR Nikon

So I decided I'm going to buy a DSLR Nikon with my tax return this year. I'm only getting $600 back on my taxes, so that's my budget. The camera's I had in mind were the D40, D60, and D3000. I'm favoring the D60 and D300 for the 10.1mp. I also am going to need lenses, memory card, and maybe a bag. I will be taking pictures of my reef tank, Yaris, nature, and just fun times with my friends and me. I've always wanted a DSLR camera and just never had the money to buy one till now.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Check out

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...sku=INKD3000KR

http://www.ritzcamera.com/

Also check out dealnews.com since they show awesome deals on everything, especially DSLR's. You can also buy just the body, and try to find a 17-150mm lens so give you both wide-angle and a decent zoom. D40 packages will most likely come with 2 lenses (mine did), an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm (I think that's what they are, too lazy to go to my camera bag). D3000 packages come with VR lenses, which I think helps a lot (D40's come with non-VF, AF lenses). My D40 package also came with a Nikon camera bag, and a hood for the 55-200 lens, along with a couple DVD's and manuals, battery, and charger.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
The only thing about the D40 is that the lenses are not interchangeable with other Nikon bodies. I have a D50 and I love it. I may upgrade soon to a D3000 for the more megapixels and more frames per second.

As for wanting a good slr, get a D50 used, they are low in price and a really good starter camera. The basic lens is fine for a lot of shots. I only change lenses if I am at the track or for the very few times I have to shoot an object in the distance.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHDVIPbB View Post
The only thing about the D40 is that the lenses are not interchangeable with other Nikon bodies. I have a D50 and I love it. I may upgrade soon to a D3000 for the more megapixels and more frames per second.

As for wanting a good slr, get a D50 used, they are low in price and a really good starter camera. The basic lens is fine for a lot of shots. I only change lenses if I am at the track or for the very few times I have to shoot an object in the distance.
what are you taking about?

I shoot with a D40, and I swap lens' all the time with my buddies with D90, D60 and D5000. everything works fine.

I love my D40, but wished I would have gotten a D90
Black Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
what are you taking about?

I shoot with a D40, and I swap lens' all the time with my buddies with D90, D60 and D5000. everything works fine.

I love my D40, but wished I would have gotten a D90
'Zactly! I had the D40, loved it, but upgraded to the D90. All my old lenses fit, just the way they are supposed to.
My old 40 went to one of my kids, and when I "upgrade" a lens on the D90, she gets the old one.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
I just recently purchased the D3000, in January. I love it! While some of the pics are under password, you should still be able to view the snow storm pics from this year as well as the pics of pets on my website (donnafaucon.smugmug.com). I purchased through Amazon.com, but if I remember right, the camera shipped from adorama.com. It came with the base lens (18-55mm), and the 55-200mm lens. I usually use the 18-55 lens, except for when I need to do some distance shots.

I'd recommend getting the bag separate from the camera. The bags they sell with the "all-in-one packages" tends to be the generic Nikon bag, that really didn't suit my needs, and possibly not yours. I have one that I picked up from a local camera place (Dans Camera City), which will be great for hiking. But I'm on the hunt for a better bag that I can use when I go to car shows or vacation or whatever. Something that doesn't scream "CAMERA INSIDE". I've read in a few places that plain diaper bags work well (still havn't found one that I like though, as most have those little kid designs on them). Otherwise I'll probably go with my other idea, and just make my own bag to look how I want it to look, and be functional as well.

The other thing I would recommend though is looking into getting an external flash. I'm finding that the internal flash on the D3000 is not that great in low light, and sometimes in settings where there is plenty of light (I'm still trying to figure that one out, hopefully I can start having answers, as I start a class this week for DSLR cameras/photography).

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
d3000...unless you can afford i believe a d90 model.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
kazama82

Drives: VIOS
i do recon D90..myself i used D80 with kit lens and 50mm f/1.8
kazama82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Can't go wrong with Nikon... D60 it's good.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

I'm really considering the d60 over the d3000 because it is a bit smaller but they are basically the same. A bag is not really that much of an issue, i'd just like to be able to take pictures up close and far away well.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

well my main issue has been trying to take pictures of things in my fish tank. with my point and shoot they come out blurry. I've had no problems with taking pictures of my car if I sit and play with the settings. That's also why I want a DSLR camera, is for being able to adjust everything into proper focus.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

right now i"m down to the D40 & D60. I am looking more towards the D60 because I have a feeling I will be cropping photo's and it allows me to use more lenses than the D3000. Then I have to find a wide angle lenses for the rest. I have generic tripods for my video camera, so no worries.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
cruz-gsr

Drives: 08 Yaris Lift Back
talk to porsha (mike) he works for a camera company and he can give u great feedback and prices.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Go for the D60

These are samples of my work with a Nikon D50...

__________________________________________________ ______

Yaris Meet (not the aerial photos)

Music Performance

Remote Control Airplane Show

Go for the D60

Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
kazama82

Drives: VIOS
i heard D60 do not have built in motor compare to D80..so some lens that hook with D60, need some manual adjustment..you can always go to www.dpreview.com
kazama82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

well I'm sold on the Nikon D40, I was checking reviews this morning and this sold me.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Now I just have to find the best deal.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
SailDesign

Drives: .
You won't go wrong with the D40. I had one for years, and loved it. I upgraded to the D90 so I could get stop-down preview and have a Commander Mode on the flash. Did I miss the extra pixels? No a bit.
The older photos here
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/SailDesign
were all with the D40. The D90 started in late Sept '09
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #18
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

i came across this:

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OME520KT2

opinions? I'm trying to be a bit more open-minded and find a great camera at a great deal, but care more about a great camera & lenses.