Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #127
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
isnt ice a sealant? what are the sealant products im confused..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #128
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
isnt ice a sealant? what are the sealant products im confused..
Wax can either be a natural carnauba, a synthetic formula or even a combination of both. In point of fact, a wax - either natural or synthetic - is a sealant and is referred to as a LSP (Last Step Product). sealants are most commonly cited as a synthetic.

A polish is designed to address paint issues - to make the clarity best for the sealant/wax to shine at its best. It is typically used before a sealant.

ICE labels itself as a polish. It is synthetic in formulation, does polish and it also seals.
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #129
marcus
toyota

i see thanks.!!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #130
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

The trick is to polish the car's surface with a 'real' polish (even a new car), optionally glaze it, seal it up with a synthetic sealant x2, wax it up with a good carnauba and keep it all up with ICE. Great stuff that way. Easy on/easy off, shines on top of wax like crazy and seals it. I use the detailer, which has clarified carnauba in it, for touch ups. Let each coat 'cure' for a day before applying the next.

This is how I use ICE for what it's worth.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 AM   #131
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Boy View Post
"ICE" by Turtle Wax is the best and easiest stuff I have used in years. no residue at all. Just remember, on a car with clearcoat, you are not waxing the paint, you are waxing the clearcoat, so if you wax toooo much and/or toooo hard, you will eventually ware throught the clearcoat, and then the paint will have no protection from the elaments.
TW Ice is a waste of money. It only lasts about 2 weeks. Meguiar's stuff is a bit better, but there are way better products than either of those available. Zaino, Duragloss, and Classe all make far superior products and I'd highly suggest that you check them out. Don't waste your time or money on the others.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:02 AM   #132
marcus
toyota

i have tried ice. their not the greatest, longevity wise but i believe one needs to wax coat then ice..may work better that way..ice = sealant i think. then again im sure others got different opinions..
Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #133
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

There are a few topics that will cause fervor and disagreement: Politics, Religion and car wax are three of them.

There are a few irrefutable facts:

1. Polishing the paint, clear coat, is THE most important thing one can do for shine. It clarifies the surface so light can refract. Consider it like polishing a diamond. Claying is an important preparatory step as well.

2. One would have to work their fingers, arms and shoulders to the bone over a period of years with a polish to remove the clear coat layer. With a machine, a rotary in particular, one would have to use a wool pad with a VERY agressive compound with the clear intent to accomplish this. Removing clear coat is generally done with sandpaper in a body shop.

3. A glaze replenishes the oils lost in the paint from the sun drying the surface and leeching these constituents out of the paint. Consider this like putting lotion on dry skin.

4. A sealant does just that, it seals and protects the paint from leeching. It can be synthetic or natural. This step is at its best after polish and glazing.

5. Once a surface has been prepared, by machine or by hand, the differences in sealants fall into several categories:

a). Longevity
b). Feel (slickness)
c). Reflectivity (shine)
d). Ease of use (caking, hardness to remove)
f). Cost
g) Availability - over the counter vs. boutique (special order)

The reality is, once the surface is prepared, a wax is a wax. Carnauba varies by source, refining techinque, volumne and additives. A sealant varies by the polymer. In reality, there are only a few of them. Most of the companies rebrand these. There are a few large chemical companies who produce polymers. There are a few chemist who add chemicals to these base stocks to differentiate their products.

The following is NOT an endorsement of any brand but statements of fact:

1. Meguairs have been in the business since the teens. Glaze is one of their oldest products. They made their name in their professional product line where cost to performance ratios are critical.

2. Zaino, as well as the other so-called boutique or specialty products have their following. They all have their pluses and minuses relative to price, performance and use. Zymol has a wax that costs $1,800.00 a jar. Pinnacle's wax is $80.00 and so on.

3. Turtlewax made its name with a solid carnauba wax and their products are adequate for the price. ICE is their newest offering. It is easy to use, readily available but doesn't last as long. That is the trade-off.

4. Duragloss is considered by many professional detailers to be one of the best sealant spray wax for the performance and cost. Inexpensive and super to use.

Bottom line: Buy the $1,800.00 wax or buy ICE. Either way, prep the surface the way the pros do: Clean, Polish and Glaze, use what you like to seal in the look and maintain it with readily available, quick, easy to use and keep your ride looking top notch.

Hope this is helpful...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #134
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
It gets annoying because I feel for you guys that only hear the word Zaino and jump like God just entered the building. In truth, their entire product line is avg at best. Even the sealants are bettered by other companies.
Really? I have personally experienced Zaino lasting over a year on my vehicles, which are parked outside all the time. So since Zaino is only an average product as you say, I suppose you're going to tell me you know of some that'll last for 2 or 3 years? If not, then how are they superior?
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #135
JetfireK

Drives: 2008 3 Dr Liftback
Just when you think...you have the smoothest finest wax job in the world. Take a wrapper off of a cigarette pack, put your fingers in it...and run your hand over the wax job. You will cringe because you will feel everything that is underneath your paint!...And you won't believe it......
JetfireK is offline   Reply With Quote