Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
i just drillllllled my HB, right in the @#%$

haha gotcha!
anyway i drilled 3 holes for my spoiler...few scratchse :'( but getting my 15k miles service tomorrow..plus a free paint touch up.

Since this is the first time I drill in a car...I didnt think ahead about how tight the screws will be in it..
The hole is perfectly the size of the screws or w/e...how can I make it tigher?
sum1 told me toothpaste!?!?!

any good idea? im thinking JB Welb...
please advice.

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Blenjar

MY SCREWS ARE LOOSE, HOW CAN i MAKE IT TIGHT AND NOT MOVE?

-- Blen
Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
buy bigger screws and force them in the hole.....
Old 06-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Jfoofoo

Drives: 07 Yaris HB Meteorite Metallic
If it's just a little loose.. Get some PTFE thread seal tape
Old 06-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Blenjar

Can't buy bigger screws because its only loose in the car, it fits the spoiler with no problem.

PTFE thread seal tape you say? I'll look for it tomorrow?

Im assuming home depot and such will have those right?

-- Blen
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Blenjar

There is 2 pieces of rubber with a hole in the middle that will sit on each side of the car. left and right.

also a screw that goes from bottom (behind rear stop LED) to outside (screws into the spoiler).

Thats 1 part. when teh spoiler sits ontop, 2 screws will go thru the spoiler into the rubber piece that's sitting on the car.

If that rubber piece isn't nice and tight in the car, only the midde screw thats going to be holding it down + few 3m tape.

I just want to secure the left and right side.

-- Blen
Old 06-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
You have to drill bigger holes in the spoiler, DO NOT DRILL LARGER HOLES INTO THE BODY!!!!! The bigger holes will allow you to use bigger screws/fasteners through the spoiler into the body. MAKE SURE THE SCREWS DO NOT THREAD INTO THE SPOILER. The screws/fasteners should slide through the holes in the spoiler and then become tight into the body where you will tighten then. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM. Snug is a word you will come to know when randomly drilling into your Yaris.

When you see the word bigger screws/fastners....this does not mean a much larger screw/fastener, maybe just the next wire size up. (picturing someone gazing through the lag bolts at HomeDepot.) The spoiler is not what is holding the spoiler on. It's the "pinch" through the spoiler that is applying the pressure.

I wouldn't do any "self wind-tunnel" testing till you correct this.

My assumption is you used the holes in the spoiler to gauge what size drill bit needed for the body.

Good luck and let me know where it "flew off", I know I could get it to fit my HB.

Chuck

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Meteorite Man

Oh yeah...lose the toothpaste trick. It is true you have "cavities" in your Yaris but tootpaste ain't gonna help. The holes you drilled are supposed to be a wire size or two smaller than the screw/fastener size. This is where the term "self-tapping"comes in.

Also, I'm sure that there will be future projects where you will be slinging a drill around. Get yourself some "BLUE" masking tape and tape the sh*t out of the surrounding areas to keep the shavings off the paint. Your watch, rings and drill bit will leave unwanted marks faster than you can stop it from happening. When shavings do appear, don't brush them away. Take some of the tape, wrap it around your hand, sticky side up and then "blot" the shavings away.

If you are unsure about anything else, speak up here. There are plenty of us that have done alot. We'll talk you down off the bridge.

Chuck

Chuck
Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
Blenjar

You are 100% nailed. sux i didnt know that before but lesson learned.

Anyway the scratches isn't a big deal to me, dont see them if spoiler is sitting on it.
What I'll do is go to homedepot tomorrow after my service and look for something I have in mind, not sure wat its called but it will work.

-- Blen
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
Blenjar

I'll look for something to reduce the size of the hole I made, and have it fit into the piece taht came with the spoiler...

Will make sure everything is ultra tight.

-- Blen
Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #11
Blenjar

Hey, how bout I just buy umm, a thicker rubber plug hole? shit that might be even a better idea.

n then find something to tighten the 8 mm hole.

hell ya!
i can sleep without having a nightmare!

-- Blen
Old 06-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #12
Meteorite Man

I think I have an idea of what you are going to do. Those "plugs " are used for hanging things on plaster/sheetrock walls. The problem that has yet to be realized is that will work if you are never going to drive the car again. There are some pretty incredible downforces on that spoiler at any speed. That is the reason for it. It "spoils" the air and routes it down, pushing the car down and putting a greater load on the ass end to hold it to the road surface. One thing to remember is that it's not always downforce. When you pass someone, pullling along side of them and eventually infront of them, there is a vortec generated. It's a "swirl" that the air over the spoiler is now pulling it UP. Do you think your repair mod could take the up and down force? Stand at the spoiler after your repair and push up and down several times with some muscle and see what happens.

As a truck driver I've seen spoilers and other airdams/sideskirts come off while being passed. They are of less quality with substandard mounting or substandard knowledge to mount them. It's freaky to watch an Eclipse or similiar come flying by, tuck in of me and watch that spoiler flap like a bird's wing. They don't stay there long.

Suck it up, you've already admitted you know what you did wrong. When at the dealer, poke into the body shop and have the manager take a look and take a suggestion.

Once again, Good luck and I'll (we'll) be waiting for the next chapter.

Chuck

What kind of spoiler? I'm interested in getting one. Link me to what you have. If it all becomes to much, take a ride up here to Mass. I'm 2 hours if that from NewHaven (I think that is where you said you are from) I'll help you.

Chuck
Old 06-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
make the holes on the spoiler bigger and use a washer, that way you can the right size bolts/screws and keep the spoiler secure.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #14
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Good idea, if he has access to the back of the panel.

A long, long time ago, I stopped drilling holes for self-tap screws. I find a VERY sharp punch and drive that in at the marked spot, just far enough so that the screw will catch. What happens is the panel deforms inward, then the screw pulls the panel back out. As the screw tightens, it pulls the panel in around itself and (in some cases) seizes in place; it then takes more force to take it out than to drive it in.

Draw a picture of this, and you will see what I mean; if I had a scanner I would post it...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote