Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #37
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Is the Yaris the only one that comes in a 2 door?

The Yaris is high and that with the 2 door makes it easy to get in and out of.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #38
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyncp93 View Post
From power perspective, Yaris beats Fit anytime. Vvt-i beats vtec. L15a needs to go to higher lifts to match the 1nzfe power (that's when vtec is on), in terms of airflow. Now, how can vtec match the bigger overlap (vvt-i), especially when the exhaust is strong?

Over certain Rpm, say 2000, vtec can not match the efficiency vvt-i has. Vtec can beat vvt-i when vtec is not on, but what is the power?

It is about the same when you compare 4AFE to L15A when talking about efficiency. L15A beats 4AFE anyday because L15A flows more.

Old school vtec yes. Isn't iVTEC just the same as VVT-I?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #39
El Kapitan
Senior Veteran

Drives: 2007 5 door hatchback
i currently own a 2007 yaris four door hatchback.

i have previously owned a 2009 fit dx and a 2011 fit lx.

i haven't owned my yaris long enough to make many comments but i'll share my thoughts on the fit(s):

pros:

- functionality. the cargo area is cavernous
- the "magic seats" are more than just a gimmick. they truly are useful.
- fuel economy for me (with auto-tranny) was exactly as predicted by the EPA.
- a nice feel to the suspension and reasonably quiet ride.
- made in japan
- rear seats folded forward perfectly flat (i notice that they don't anymore on the 2015).

cons:

- auto transmission was miserable. always trying to shift at the wrong time and forcing extra fuel consumption by forcing me to depress the throttle to get it geared where i wanted it.

- the fit and finish were not so good. my 2009 was black and even from the dealer was already covered in tiny little micro-scratches from being washed (last time i ever bought a black car). flimsy paint. the driver's side door arm rest is super thin plastic and within a short time of resting my arm on it as i adjusted my position when getting into the car, it was already cracked. i scratched the clear plastic over the the instrument cluster just by very gently wiping dust off of it. within a few thousand kilometers it had developed squeeks and rattles.

- the AC was the weakest i have ever experienced.

- the seats were (for me) incredibly uncomfortable.

- you ride really high in the car. it sometimes felt like people could look in and see my entire upper body. i'm not sure why that bothered me, but it did.

-----------

just so that i don't seem overly negative, i have also driven a standard fit in recent times and it was like a completely different car. much better! also, the versatility of the cargo area and back seats is a very good feature with this car. no other hatches of the time could touch it.

as for my yaris, i can't say much yet but i do find the seats to be more comfortable, although only a little. i know this is debated but i love the centered instrument cluster, i like the standard transmission although i have never compared it to an auto yaris. millions of little storage areas. good thick floor over the spare tire (the fit was that typical thin medite). great turning radius! the downside so far: miniscule cargo area, but i knew it would be bad when i bought the car, but it really does suck.
El Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #40
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
The 2015 Fit...as far as i know...shares the pre2015 fit 'formula' or dna and that's all. 6speed manual. Mexico build. Higher beltline (ie less glass). I forgot about the reported poor ac on the pre 2015 version.

In addition to a great manual gearbox. ..our cars have the best ac i have seen. Certainly better than my 2013 f150.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #41
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The times I've driven a 2010 Fit, the AC was alright.
But Honda is known for having very small batteries.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #42
Barneyncp93

Drives: Vios NCP 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I see what you mean. And it is true that i-vtec is the same as vvt-i as both move intake cam timing continuously. But honda so far has pure ivtec only on their K engines (eg. accord, crv, civic)
Other than K engines, honda has the right to put the ivtec emblem but it is not pure ivtec.
Barneyncp93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #43
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
VTEC and iVTEC has variable lift. VVT-i is only variable timing. VTEC has both variable timing and lift. VVTL-i is the Toyota equivalent of VTEC. VVTL-i was found in the Celica GTS, Matrix XRS, and the Toyota Corolla XRS.

How it Works:
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...c-ivtec-works/
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #44
428CobraJet

Earthdreams?

Btw...the Mexico built Fits seem to be having their share of nit picky issues.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #45
El Kapitan
Senior Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
The 2015 Fit...as far as i know...shares the pre2015 fit 'formula' or dna and that's all. 6speed manual. Mexico build. Higher beltline (ie less glass). I forgot about the reported poor ac on the pre 2015 version.

In addition to a great manual gearbox. ..our cars have the best ac i have seen. Certainly better than my 2013 f150.
nice. i also pair my yaris to an F-150 coyote, although mine is a 2012. maybe you got unlucky because my AC blasts in that puppy.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #46
428CobraJet

The f150 is a regular cab. Its ok. I dont think its defective. Its pretty hot and humid on the coast in Texas. We have a solid 10mos of ac weather. But with the Yaris. ..you can hang meat in that baby!

El Kapitan...the Coyote is a great motor, no? And the sound when floored!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #47
Barneyncp93

Drives: Vios NCP 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
VTEC and iVTEC has variable lift. VVT-i is only variable timing. VTEC has both variable timing and lift. VVTL-i is the Toyota equivalent of VTEC. VVTL-i was found in the Celica GTS, Matrix XRS, and the Toyota Corolla XRS.

How it Works:
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...c-ivtec-works/
That's a good link.

The link also explains as I understand that vvtL-i is like i-vtec.

You can also read there, that vvt-i since it keeps maximizing the timing (the overlap=power) has more power and becomes more efficient overall (by advancing intake timing) than vtec.

When vtc is added to vtec, it becomes i-vtec (lift + timing).

Don't look at the standard power number. If you can, look at the potential power vvt-i has compared to vtec. vvt-i rules anytime against vtec.
Barneyncp93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #48
El Kapitan
Senior Veteran

yep, sure is a great motor, although i only get about 16mpg, 90% city. i wouldn't want to have to drive it all the time but i do look forward to driving it on work days.

what sort of mileage do you get? i have a Scab so i'm guessing yours would be better?

to everyone else: sorry for going OT. no disrespect intended.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #49
428CobraJet

I don't drive mine much....It'll be 2 years old this March with 7200 miles. I have the optional 3.55s with limited slip. Rcsb. Factory 18s. STX trim.

I have 12 tanks below 20 (low of 16.9...most 18-19) and a 21.2, a 23.7, a 22.5, and a 22.1. Mostly road driving to the coast or the Texas Hillcountry...at least half with a MotoGuzzi or CBX either towed on my Kendon or in the bed. All figures using a calculator. The computer is almost always inaccurately reading high.

I was hoping to always get 20. Holding it to sixty-fiveish on cruise brings the big numbers. Unlike the Mighty Yaris. ..idling seems to suck fuel. I drive like an old man - unless I'm in the Yaris!