Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
iceage

Drives: no car
Car paint

Hi everyone,

I have a black sand pearl yaris and I plan on getting some stuff painted like my roof and a front lip. Do you guys think body shops would be able to match it up to the original paint since the black color has like a sparkle or sprinkle to it?
iceage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Depends on the body shop. Black Sandy Pearl is difficult to get the sparkle ratio exactly the same as the OEM paint. To be honest, nobody will be able to tell the difference unless you sit there and stare at it and know what you are looking for. Body shops when they replace a bumper or fender, they will fade the paint about 2-4 feet past the replaced part the just painted to make paint look like its the exact same color.

If you paint a bumper, fender or side skirt off the car and then put it on at a different time and place without using the exact same paint that was for the car. There will be a very slight but hardly noticable difference in paint. Paint booth, Humidity, paint gun and painter plays a big part in that.

If you want it done right and look OEM, I'd let the body shop do the work. Install and paint. They know how to do it and make it look clean. if you don't like it, make them do it again. Thats what you're paying them for.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #3
iceage

Drives: no car
Thank you so much for your reply. Yea I think I'll be taking it to the shop because I really want it to have a nice outcome.

What is the average cost of having a front lip, side skirt, and rear lip painted? And I'm from socal if that matters.
iceage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
ilikerice

That also depends on the shop. It can range from $500- $2000. depending how much trimming, adding fiberglass, prep-work required to do the job to their standards. Every time I have been to a body shop, whatever they quote me in the beginning has always increased because something didnt fit right or there was more work required than they originally thought.

Bottom line when it comes to paint jobs that holds the most truth... you get what you pay for.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Plastic parts when done right require a LOT of extra prep work before painting them. Either that or they jerked me around for three months when I was a helper to the apprentice's assistant lo these many years ago. Washing, sanding, washing, sanding, rubbing dry with a cheesecloth, repeat ad finitum or so it seemed. And repeat at ever step and layers of primer, paint and top coat.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
ilikerice

Exactly. The quality comes from the prep work. Actually painting is fast and fairly simple if you got the experience. But the quality of the paint will not matter if they cut corners with the prep work prior to painting.. So either pay that person to do it faster and cheaper for decent finished product, or let them take their time to do it right but plan on spending the extra money.