Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
Right Headlight not working, not bulb/fuse

Not the bulb, not the fuse. Here is what I found with my 12V circuit tester.

With lights switched OFF
Right bulb 3-pin pulled off bulb, all terminals have 12volts (green,blue & Black wires), green at 9 o'clock, blue at 12 o'clock, black at 3 o'clock.

Left 3-pin (which is working fine on DIM & HEADS), Brown at 9 o'clock, Green at 12 o'clock, Grey at 3 o'clock. Grey 12v. other two 0v.

With lights at DIM
Right 3-pin, Green 12v, Blue 0v, Black 12v
Left 3-pin, Grey 12v. other two 0v

With lights at HEADS
Right 3-pin, Green 0v, Blue 12v, Black 12v.
Left 3-oin, Grey 12v, other two 0v.

The fuses are 10amp and are fine and there is 12v on the input side of both fuses.

And sticking the bulb into my Landcruiser it works perfectly, so I've double checked the bulb and no fuses are blowing, just no DIM or HEADS on the right bulb.
The car is a 08 with 148,000 kms I've had from new.
Any ideas before I have to go to the dealers?
746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Looking at the European EWDs, by the bulb wires colors it appears that your Yaris does not have the daytime running lights?

If that is the case, then there are no relays in the headlight circuit. There are just the two fuses (H-LP RH and H-LP LH) and the switch (which provides the ground to the other side of the bulb).

On the right, the black wire is the input power to the bulb from the H-LP RH fuse. Blue becomes the ground for the right, when the switch is in the Low position and Green becomes the ground for the right when the switch is in the High position.

Based on your voltage measurements everything is working correctly as far as switching goes. I would check the bulb sockets to make sure that there is not corrosion there preventing the bulb from actually getting power.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
Thanks CTScott,
It doesn't have daytime running lights. The bulb sockets have the factory conductive grease on them and I am getting a very good non-rusty contact.
.........I just went out to check connections again. I have it sorted.
I took the bulb out and connected the 3-pin to the bulb outside of the headlight and it worked perfectly well. So back in with the bulb minus the rubber boot and it worked.
So next off with the 3 pin and put the rubber boot back on and I found out why it wasn't working........... I didn't line up the 3-pin correctly because of the tight fit and only had the top connector on the bulb. So with a more correct approach I have the 3-pin connected properly. I feel like such a muppet to make an ass of an easy connection.
Thanks for your help CTScott, it made me look more closely at it.
746watts is offline   Reply With Quote