Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Brake pedal squeaks annoyingly from under car when releasing foot off.

Every single time I take my foot off the brake, I hear a loud squeak from what sounds like it could be under the car, or in the front under somewhere. Should I be worried? Should I take it to the dealership before my 1 year used car warranty expires and pay the $50?

It wouldn't be so bad, but its loud enough to be heard inside the car, and people around me at the lights hear it too I'm sure.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Probably coming from your rear drums, they may need an adjustment and cleaning.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I have the same sound, I adjusted the rear drums, it sounds to me that it is coming from the brake pedal itself...hopefully you find the cause because i haven't had any luck...if i had warranty i would take it in, but I am well past the warranty mark since I am at 246K miles

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
There are a lot of shops that offer free brake inspections. I would take it to one of them first before taking it to the dealer. If it is related to the brakes such as low brake pads oar hardware issue its not going to be covered under your factory warranty anyways as it is considered wear and tear items. If another shop finds something such as a bad brake caliper or such then you might be covered under warenty at that point I would take it back to the dealer and see what they can do.

Either way I wouldnt keep driving it as its most likely going to get worse than just simply get better and go away.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
Probably coming from your rear drums, they may need an adjustment and cleaning.
+1. This was the problem with mine. Just before my honeymoon I had my rear shoes replaced, area cleaned, and my drums turned. No more noise!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Try pulling up on the ebrake and then pressing and releasing the brake pedal. If the squeak is then gone, then it is definitely the linkage in the drums and not the pedal. Crashy2 was doing it and I though it was the pedal linkage, but found it was actually the drum linkage squeaking after doing the ebrake test.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Try pulling up on the ebrake and then pressing and releasing the brake pedal. If the squeak is then gone, then it is definitely the linkage in the drums and not the pedal. Crashy2 was doing it and I though it was the pedal linkage, but found it was actually the drum linkage squeaking after doing the ebrake test.
Raising the ebrake causes the sound to go away when pressing and releasing the pedal. Then putting down the ebrake causes the sound. I raised and lowered the ebrake several times and every time when lowering the ebrake it makes the sound. Its definitely coming from the back of the car.

Is there an easy fix for this not so mechanically inclined individual?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Mine was really just a build up of brake dust. Pop off the rear wheels and the rear drum (with the e-brake off!) and blow the dust out, then hit it with brake cleaner. Might take some effort to get the drums off, mine did.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
+1. This was the problem with mine. Just before my honeymoon I had my rear shoes replaced, area cleaned, and my drums turned. No more noise!
Mine too. I had the drums adjusted and cleaned at about 207k and the sound went away.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Mine three.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Just to chime in on this one.. My 07 hb was doing the same thing. You can always put a little adjustment on the brake shoes but that was not causing my noise.

When the shoes retract (when you take your foot off the brake peddle) they squeak.

I pulled the drums, and put a tad of hi temp lubricant where the shoes ride on the back plate. There are three spots on each shoe if memory serves.

I also added a touch of lub to each spring hook where it hooks on to the shoe.

Noise gone.. Two years later, it is starting to squeak again so I need to do it again.

I think it is the spring making the noise where it contacts the shoe, not where the shoe slides on the back plate.

Either way.. It is a simple fix.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Thanks for the easy suggestions, will do these things this coming weekend. Will check the pads while I'm in there. There used to be a good DIY for brake pads, but it looks like its gone now. Any idea where there is a good step-by-step? I'd like to just change them all since I'm going to be opening everything up to clean.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Youtube will be a good start for a vid on how to service drum brakes.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Finally got to take my wheel off and spray brake cleaner today. The drum was imposable to get off. Thankfully I happened to have to perfect bots to screw into the small holes to pop off the drum.

I sprayed half a can of brake cleaner on that thing and put everything back together. It didn't squeak the first 10 or so times using the brakes but now its back. Very frustrating.

The wheel seems to turn very freely. I remember seeing people "adjust" their drum brakes so that they turn with some resistance, like give it a good turn and it will only continue to turn about 1/4 round then stop abruptly. Mine turns and turns and turns freely.

How do I adjust it to the right amount of friction, or is it better to leave it turning freely?

Is there something I need to slather or spread on somewhere to stop this annoying squeaking that's about to drive me insane?

Old 06-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #15
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
mmmm my brakes have this annoying noise too -_-

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
Astroman
Modded Moderator

I had the same squeak. Turns out my drums were warped so I had them turned, cleaned it all up, and put on new brake shoes. Squeak went away and has stayed away.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I had the same squeak. Turns out my drums were warped so I had them turned, cleaned it all up, and put on new brake shoes. Squeak went away and has stayed away.
Well, thats the point that I'm at now. I think I will just take off both drums, replace the pads, and slather copper grease all over the place, heh. Will be this coming weekend's project I guess. Maybe I should do the front pads as well.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
Astroman
Modded Moderator

I believe the '09 has abs brakes standard so you'll want to look it up so you won't damage the abs. While you have the drums off go get them turned. Call around I'm sure a auto parts store or shop can do it cheap. Like I said mine were warped and I had no idea.