Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #19
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
well the problem with ABS is usually solved by

disconnecting abs wires at the wheel

blasting with contact cleaner, maf cleaner, or any other volatile electrical cleaner

filling the connection with dielectric grease. reconnecting. done
Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
About the cars having this problem where has your car been manufactured?

Japan or Canada/USA Codes on the VIN?
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
Hard_Yaris

Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated[/QUOTE]

is this a contradicting statement?

Can you please explain how to use the dielectric grease prior to mating?
Did you mean to not have the 'not' in that statement?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #22
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Yaris View Post

Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated

fill the connection but do not coat the contacts. fill everything else.

if you are using 'phone jack installer-grade clear silicone snot' then you can coat everything, but
unless it is that specific goop, do not coat the contacts...just fill it in everywhere
else so dirt and crud cannot get into the contacts
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #23
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Yaris View Post
About the cars having this problem where has your car been manufactured?

Japan or Canada/USA Codes on the VIN?
Yaris running on North American soil have been manufactured in Japan.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #24
Hard_Yaris

ok so I use the grease around the connections but not in.

so coat the mated connection with dielectric grease on the outside of the plug?

Oh, so all cars in Canada and USA are made in Japan... seems a bit odd.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #25
Tamara

Drives: 2007 Five door Yaris hatchback
OK! We need to be stirring the pot with this. I have been in contact with my steal-ership and theyre now offering up 300bucks towards the fix, and Toyota Canada is willing to chip in a bit too...HOWEVER, since I will be bringing my car to my local mechanic, as he was willing to attempt the cleaning fixes that are recommanded throughout this site (which WORKED for my left rear sensor, but my right rear sensor is still f'd), Toyota is not willing to chip in towards the parts or service as its not being performed by their overpriced inexperienced mechanics. So, we need to push Toyota Canada to do a campaign to have all Yaris's brought in and either have the connectors on the ABS harness cleaned/replaced, and/or have the company engineers design a better cover to protect these VERY sensitive circuits from our harsh Canadian climates to prevent them from corroiding.

Come on Toyota....fix this problem before we make it become a safety recall. You admit it yourselves on your website that ABS is better...and we did pay extra for it.

I love love love my car, and used to rave about Toyota....but I am very disheartened and discouraged that a problem like this exists for multiple customers. Toyota, this can be fixed before your customers have to suffer a $1200/per side expense. Lets get it done! Please!
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #26
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
OK! We need to be stirring the pot with this. I have been in contact with my steal-ership and theyre now offering up 300bucks towards the fix, and Toyota Canada is willing to chip in a bit too...HOWEVER, since I will be bringing my car to my local mechanic, as he was willing to attempt the cleaning fixes that are recommanded throughout this site (which WORKED for my left rear sensor, but my right rear sensor is still f'd), Toyota is not willing to chip in towards the parts or service as its not being performed by their overpriced inexperienced mechanics. So, we need to push Toyota Canada to do a campaign to have all Yaris's brought in and either have the connectors on the ABS harness cleaned/replaced, and/or have the company engineers design a better cover to protect these VERY sensitive circuits from our harsh Canadian climates to prevent them from corroiding.

Come on Toyota....fix this problem before we make it become a safety recall. You admit it yourselves on your website that ABS is better...and we did pay extra for it.

I love love love my car, and used to rave about Toyota....but I am very disheartened and discouraged that a problem like this exists for multiple customers. Toyota, this can be fixed before your customers have to suffer a $1200/per side expense. Lets get it done! Please!
I've gotten no where with Toyota Canada or my local dealership. They wouldn't even give me a discount for the fix. I am still waiting for some time to do the clean/grease method to see if that fixes the issue.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #27
fatestepsin
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
So this is a recent problem for me. I brought my car in about 3 weeks ago for an oil change and to have them check the light out. By the time I got the car to the dealership the ABS/emergency brake lights had gone out. It was fine for a couple of weeks, and now the lights are going on and off when I'm driving. The dealership wants $105 just to find the problem, but I see that it's probably the speed sensor like others are experiencing. Is the speed sensor only covered under the basic warranty or does the powertrain warranty cover it as well? I don't really know much about cars and what's covered under what, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm outside the miles and time for the basic warranty, but still within the time frame for the power train.
fatestepsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #28
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatestepsin View Post
So this is a recent problem for me. I brought my car in about 3 weeks ago for an oil change and to have them check the light out. By the time I got the car to the dealership the ABS/emergency brake lights had gone out. It was fine for a couple of weeks, and now the lights are going on and off when I'm driving. The dealership wants $105 just to find the problem, but I see that it's probably the speed sensor like others are experiencing. Is the speed sensor only covered under the basic warranty or does the powertrain warranty cover it as well? I don't really know much about cars and what's covered under what, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm outside the miles and time for the basic warranty, but still within the time frame for the power train.
You are out of luck then. Only the full warranty would cover this, power train is for engine, emissions, etc.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #29
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Or if you bought the extended warranty. I think if we make enough noise it'll get fixed but you have to jump up and down at the dealership.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #30
rtom

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
For those of us who can still buy the extended warranty ...

How many of you think it's worth buying the extended warranty largely just for this issue of corroding speed sensors?

My car is only a few months old, and of course I don't have any problems yet. But I do live in the cold Northeast and I think I'll have to make a decision within 2 years whether I should go for the extended warranty or not -- ie before I'm likely to see the problem.

How much is the extended warranty, anyway?
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #31
devinlamothe

Well for me it was 100,000km for an extra $1200, which would have paid for itself since that is about the cost for 1 speed sensor bearing/wiring harness replacement. Not sure how much higher KM/mile warranties are though.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #32
jeffhgarner
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
2007 Yaris Speed Sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
With all the problems toyota is having I can't imagine they won't fix them free. who knows.
07 Yaris is in shop now. 63000 miles and BOTH rear speed sensors are shot. 1150.00 bucks for both. Having it fixed and sending a letter to Toyota with a CC to my state rep.

This is bullcrap. They know of the problem. There is NO WAY that BOTH sensors can just go bad at the same time. The sensors are either faulty or protection from the elements of them are faulty.

'78 corolla
'89 Camry
'02 Corolla
'07 Yaris

Next time I need a new vehicle I WILL NOT go straight to a Toyota dealership. Now I will shop.
jeffhgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #33
dycktim

Drives: 07 Yaris,99 Solara,91 4Runner
I am beginning my battle with Toyota to resolve this issue. In my opinion it should be recalled as a safety issue since ABS is a safety feature. I am in the beginning stages of building a case but will need help from many people who have the same issue. This is my first stab at it but i figure for the $1600 worth of repairs - I can devote some time to it, and maybe help out everyone else who is or will be in the same boat. My warranty expired less than a year ago and I'm at 75K on the car. Was told I'm s.o.l. by both dealership and Toyota Canada.

As such, I believe this issue meets the requirements for the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Process if there are enough people experiencing the exact same problem. See Link.
http://www.camvap.ca/index.htm

If anyone has tried this already or is knowledgeable in these matters please let the rest of us know. It is my opinion that if we can prove a large number of people having this problem and prove it is a safety concern we may have a good case.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,
dycktim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #34
da1nonly

Drives: yaris hatchback le
I posted about my experience in the other thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11533

so I thought I'd just post here as well...

Part replaced for $53.30

So thanks to this forum I had the part replaced by Toyota for $53.30...
out of warranty.

I had the issue back in feb 2010 with the right sensor. they replaced it under warranty but didnt say what caused the issue despite my complaints to know the cause... just said that they had to replace the entire sensor assembly. Back then I complained asking them to recheck and replace the other sensors but they wouldn't becuz they were fine... I didnt actually look this problem up until tonight jan 2011 when the sensor went on the leftside.

So the story goes...
Came in tonight.... told me it would cost $733 to fix the sensor issue. Add $200+ for labor and $100 for the initial diagnostic.

Googled and found this thread.... showed them the easy fix and the tsb issued in 2008 (US version). After talking with service manager, technician and service rep we finally found the TSB (CDN version). I told them to fix the problem according to the TSB which matched the error code found during diagnostic. The replaced just the wire sensor (list price $53.30), waved the diagnostic fee and took 10% off labor (after 1hr of complaining with everyone there). Total was about $230 ($180 2hr labor, $50 part)

I wouldve tried cleaning it but the tech had already pulled out the sensor and showed me the wire was damaged (really?). At least i have the latest sensor model (i hope) which should protect against corrosion/damage to the sensor. So hopefully I wont have to worry about this or having to clean the original faulty sensor every year.

If it hasn't been posted... for those looking for the TSB (CDN version) the number is:
TSB3027 (issued July 3, 208 revised on March 19, 2010)
DTC (diagnostic trouble codes)
C0210 - Rear Speed Sensor RH circuit
C0215 - Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit

Sorry I didnt get a chance to read the entire thread but I skim through enough of it to help me get the right part replaced at a reasonable price rather than their initial costs of $700-900

Hope that helps.

The service manager also said he'd follow up with Toyota. What they call a good will claim... case determined by toyota canada.

Sorry for the length of the post... but hopefully some of this info helps.

I hope Toyota resolves this...
da1nonly is offline   Reply With Quote