Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
xb105drvr
I've made a post!

Drives: 08 Yaris LB - white
Door lock actuator cable/rod broke

I installed the auto door lock (retrofit) for the Yaris using the aftermarket kit made for our cars. Apparently, the slamming back and forth of the electronic actuator yielded a kinking motion that twisted the rod. The rod fatigued and broke. I have one working, but need to replace both cables. I can't lock the doors right now thanks to this.

Does anyone have an idea where to find these cables. I haven't checked the dealer yet. I will start scouting junk yards tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

Bob
xb105drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
chilly79

Drives: 09, 3dr, LB, Carmine Red
Even with the cable broke you should be able to lock the doors with your key.
I just put one of these kits on my car and can see how it will eventually brake. The issue is because the lock cable is solid so the bending weakens it and then it brakes. I was able to get mine so it does not bend so much though. When I looked at the two cables I saw the one for the door lever is a stranded cable which is stronger and would work better. It looks like they both are the same size. If you go to a junk yard get the cable for the lever and use it instead of the lock cable. Be sure it will fit first though. I know it looks the same on the door handle side but not sure about where it meets up with the rest of the door.

I plan to try an rig something up with Brake wire for mountain bikes if mine brake. Too much trouble to try and do it while it still works though. It looks like it would work and would only cost about $20. The head of a brake cable is a cylinder instead of a sphere but the size looks about right to fit.
chilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote