Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
cutchin

Drives: Yaris
Water Pump, Do it myself or pay someone?

My WP has the inevitable pink stuff spewing from it. I'm torn between paying a shop $175 to change it (labor only) or doing it myself for $75 (paying a young mechanic to help me do it in my garage). What would you recommend? I've changed waterpumps before, but not on a car this new. I've got all the tools and have worked on cars when I was young(er). I'm tempted to do it myself as much for the fun of it as for the savings. Here are my concerns:
Do I really have to lower the engine (loosen a motor mount) to get the old pump out?
Do I need to worry about air pockets in the cooling system when I refill it?

What's your opinion? and are there other things I should be concerned about. I'll probably by the OEM WP online.

That's my story. Thanks for suggestions in advance.

Last edited by cutchin; 12-15-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: turn on "email notification"
cutchin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water pump changing