Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 PM   #37
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
I'm beginning to like it here. In this corner we have arguments over "hypermiling" or some attempt at that... in the other corner we have people arguing over engine mods and forced induction for 100hp wheezer motors... and I swear I saw somewhere where there was a discussion on which tires give the best gas mileage! Damn... I think everyone has lost the big picture. Yaris = car = cheap = just drive it and STFU.

Other than that, keep up the good work.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #38
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
My view is if I am following the posted limit I should not be inconveniencing anyone. If you are speeding, too bad, you are going to fast and need to slow down. This is why I stay in the right hand lane. If someone really wants to race to the next red light, they can go around me.

That being said, I will NOT make a turn if I have to 'gun' my engine, I will wait until it's safe to make a steady turn at a moderate speed.

Remember, everyone on the road is equal except for emergency vehicles. I don't care what people say, we all share the road and we all have to be safe as well as courteous. But this does NOT mean speeding, etc.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #39
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Take a dose of reality yourself... I don't care that they don't care, and their wants do not trump my own. Get over it.
That's your problem. One hypermiler out of 100 cars around him, that are driving differently, doesn't have the right to get pissied off. They're just not into the 3 extra drops of gas sqeezing games like you are. Sorry. Flow with traffic, or take the bus.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #40
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
I drive the speed limit as my max on the 4-lane and go to 10 mph under the limit, depending on traffic. If it is heavy I will speed up to the psl, if sparse traffic I will go 10 under. I look at it this way, folks are going 10+ mph over the limit, if I go 10 under they are coming up behind me at 20+ mph. Pretty scary to have someone texting or on the phone barreling that fast up to me and I will be causing them to do something else stupid to go around me. Sure it is their fault for being a speeding moron but I just want to give them clear sailing to fly by me and go on their way. I have other more remote sections of my commute where I can make up the lost mileage and be safe.

I have one Yield intersection that I do have to accelerate pretty rapidly to merge with traffic. It is on a 2-lane road and if I waited for there to be even a quarter mile with no one coming I would be there for hours. Traffic can back up fast and even a 3 or 4 minute wait (not uncommon) for a spot to go there can be 10 or 30 vehicles behind the lead vehicle. I bite the bullet on this and consider it just part of my commute. Yes, there is an alternative route but even with the accelerating here I use less gas than going around it. Sure I would have a much better mpg average using these go-arounds but using more gas to get a higher mileage average.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #41
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
why you didn't buy a hybrid
There are several reasons I did not buy a hybrid. They are expensive (both to build and to buy), they suck at hill climbing (I commute over a mountain) and I knew I could get hybrid-like mileage out of a light 4-cylinder vehicle even with my unusual commute.

Quote:
or, better yet, ride a motorcycle
I seriously considered this, and was actually 1/3 the way done with building an EV motorcycle out of an old Ninja chassis at one point, but then I gained not just one but two carpoolers. I also became a Big Brother. These things mean that I rarely drive alone.

Quote:
or, hey, i got an idea, why don't you ride a bicycle since you're never in that much of a hurry
I have put over 500 miles on my road bicycle this year, all of it from errand running. 25 mile round trip grocery runs, picking up take out, picking up materials from the home improvement store, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Sorry. Flow with traffic
This conversation is about when or when not to enter the flow of traffic from a stop at a right-hand turn. One cannot keep with the flow of traffic if one has not yet entered the flow of traffic. Please try to focus.

Quote:
or take the bus.
I have spent over 600 miles on buses this year. You can read about some of my travels here:

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/content?oid=1027031

When's the last time you took advantage of public transportation?

Quote:
I wouldn't count on Bailout on making any changes. He craves the attention too much, even if that attention is some 80 yr old lady flipping him off for driving too slow.
Your penchant for alarmism is showing again. Please take a deep breath and try to relax. I have never been flipped off, honked at or had anything thrown at me. Ever. Not here, not in California, not even in Vegas. You have a self-created and convoluted view of what hypermiling looks like but I assure you that your assumptions are inaccurate. If you ever find yourself in the Reno/Tahoe region I invite you to ride along with me for a bit to see for yourself.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #42
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Brian, i can totally respect your response and actually give you a ton of credit for putting as many miles on your bicycle as you claim to have...

on another note, i've been thinking about DFCO and have a lingering question that i couldn't answer for myself by reading all 7 pages of the DFCO thread...maybe you have the answer...

do you know if DFCO still kicks in while running the a/c?...i would assume that since everything is still turning, then the appropriate belts that keep the a/c running should still be spinning but, wasn't 100% sure...
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #43
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Brian, i can totally respect your response and actually give you a ton of credit for putting as many miles on your bicycle as you claim to have...

on another note, i've been thinking about DFCO and have a lingering question that i couldn't answer for myself by reading all 7 pages of the DFCO thread...maybe you have the answer...

do you know if DFCO still kicks in while running the a/c?...i would assume that since everything is still turning, then the appropriate belts that keep the a/c running should still be spinning but, wasn't 100% sure...
I thank you for the compliment, and am happy to answer your question.

Yes, DFCO will still work with the a/c on, though you will experience a much faster rate of deceleration any time the compressor is running due to the extra drag on the drive train.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #44
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Bottom line= It's Bailout's car-he can drive it the way he likes as long as he's within the law. Let's face it, he's got more to stand on than all the obnoxious speeders out there. BailOut's commuting habits are far from radical behavior-more like foward thinking-we will all be operating this way in the near future-out of sheer necessity.

1st, I'm starting to think you've got quite an appetite for this type of jousting-did you spend your $200 already?

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #45
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Brian, that makes total sense, thanks...

R2D2, to chime in i'd say that forward thinking is more along the lines of electric vehicles and the future of it just may be in the works today with cars like the chevy volt and it's claims of over 200mpg (dare i speak of a domestic manufacture on yarisworld! lol)...i'm not a fan of american cars, having only driven toyotas and hondas in my lifetime but, there is something to be said about electric tech...if we're talking about forward thinking, we shouldn't be talking about natural resource fueled, internal combustion vehicles, IMO...

Last edited by ern-diz; 09-01-2009 at 03:49 PM.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #46
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Bottom line= It's Bailout's car-he can drive it the way he likes as long as he's within the law. Let's face it, he's got more to stand on than all the obnoxious speeders out there. BailOut's commuting habits are far from radical behavior-more like foward thinking-we will all be operating this way in the near future-out of sheer necessity.

1st, I'm starting to think you've got quite an appetite for this type of jousting-did you spend your $200 already?

R2
If you look at my profile page you'll see that I already spent the $200.00, and sorry to break it to you, but the day that 98+% of the driving population start hypermiling it & only about 2% decide to drive the speed limit or above, acting like they need to get where they're needing to be in a rush, instead of wasting LOTS of their time [lol] to save a few cents at the pump will probably never come to pass. Gotta face it, the 2% isn't quite ready to dictate to the 98%.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #47
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

I say move over to the far right lane and drive as slow as you want.

Speeding is not some uncontrolled phenomena where you exceed the speed limit and spontaneously combust. Speed differential is the culprit. If I go 10 over and you are 10 under then the 20 mph differential is the issue. If you always do 10 under then you are probably inducing a differential of at least 10 mph.

I can easily hop on one of my bikes and go down the interstate at 150+ mph and its no big deal. Now throw some cars on the road doing 75 mph and now there's a problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #48
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Found this and thought it was neat...

A mechanism that was developed in Germany is the Grüne Welle, or green wave, which is an indicator that shows the optimal speed to travel for the synchronized green lights along that corridor. Driving faster or slower than the speed set by the behavior of the lights causes the driver to frequently encounter red lights. This discourages drivers from speeding or impeding the flow of traffic.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #49
1stToyota

Ouch!

Anyways, I just hope that the average hypermiler out there is getting WAAAAY better mpg than I'm getting, for all their efforts. My last tank I got 44.4 mpg [1/3 city - 2/3 highway], by going around 5 mph over the speed limit, using the a/c, not coasting in gear, running 32psi in my tires, flowing with traffic and getting up to speed quickly, etc...

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 09-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #50
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Found this and thought it was neat...

A mechanism that was developed in Germany is the Grüne Welle, or green wave, which is an indicator that shows the optimal speed to travel for the synchronized green lights along that corridor. Driving faster or slower than the speed set by the behavior of the lights causes the driver to frequently encounter red lights. This discourages drivers from speeding or impeding the flow of traffic.

Great idea.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #51
VitzBoy
Administrator

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJames View Post
exactly. there were no personal attacks an any but the first post i made. i'm sure there's a legal problem with deleting post because you dont like them. nothing in the last few post of mine that got deleted was against the terms of use. go read the constitution. FREE SPEECH. i have just as much right to voice my opinion as brian or any of the mods on here. it's downright illegal to tell me i can't voice my opinion because it's different from the mods or the almighty brian.
Move on folks. Any further off-topic posts will continue being deleted. And please familiarize yourself with constitutional law before you go off claiming you have a constitutional right to speech on a privately owned forum.
VitzBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #52
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

The topic is hypermilers being inconvenienced by non-hypermilers, right?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #53
YarisDude

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Just my unwanted opinion....Be civil and courteous to others on the road when hypermiling (stay to the right and when in traffic go with the flow). Be civil and courteous to others on the forums. All comments have some merit (even if you do not agree), that's what makes social networking interesting. Most importantly have fun.

The Lurker - I read all, but say little.
YarisDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #54
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisDude View Post
Just my unwanted opinion....Be civil and courteous to others on the road when hypermiling (stay to the left and when in traffic go with the flow). Be civil and courteous to others on the forums. All comments have some merit (even if you do not agree), that's what makes social networking interesting. Most importantly have fun.

The Lurker - I read all, but say little.

In these here parts it would be cool if the HM'ers stayed to the RIGHT.