Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Soni

Drives: 2011 Vitz HB
17 inch wheels with stock suspension

Is there anyone whose willing to post a pic of their Yaris with aftermarket wheels, but are still using the stock suspension?

I'm planning on getting 17" wheels, but I don't have plans right now for getting it lowered at all soon. I just want to see what it might look like without the new suspension.

Or if you have any advice for wheel and tire shopping, that would be much appreciated as well. I just don't want huge gaps in between the wheels and the body.

Edit: Thanks everyone for sending in the pictures and giving advice. I'll definitely get the wheels first. Those are priority since I've been procrastinating with getting them. After that, I'm getting the coilovers. :)

Last edited by Soni; 01-11-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Soni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
It will ride like a 4x4 and look slightly ridiculous..
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
aggreed with ^^ that guy... i personally feel that ALL cars if plan on getting rims, should drop it first.. a car with rims thats not lowered looks wierd, but a lowered car still on hupcaps.. still looks good.. use that money that ur buying rims and get a set of springs or coilovers (perferably coilovers cuz u can adjust hieght to ur likings). unless of course u are buying the rims cuz u need new tires.. save ur money and buy some tires for the steelies and buy the suspension first..
this is what i would do if it was my car.. but do what u wish, it is your car, u drive it and mod it the way u like it
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Horseshit! I run 17" wheels with no lowering springs and it looks pretty damn good!

As for the comparisons with 4x4s, maybe compared to the weak dick ones they have up north they are similar; but down here in Texas we have real 4x4s and there is no comparison...

Get the right offset and a set of 17s will look great on your Yaris!

Cheers! M2
Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
TKO

Drives: 4 door hatch
The wheel gap is bigger on the yaris! LOL
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
brendan

Drives: toyota yaris

Old 01-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Holy Wheel gap batman, both those Yari have massive wheel gap. Drop before rims!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekqmb View Post
Holy Wheel gap batman, both those Yari have massive wheel gap. Drop before rims!!!
Sorry, but I like not fearing every pothole and speedbump that I come across, nor do I relish the thought of rubbing every time I try to turn a corner.

Plus, not all Yaris owners are kids; some of us don't want to look like all the dropped Civics and Neons bouncing down the roads, fart cans making more noise than power, blasting distorted hip-hop, hats on sideways and pimp daddy sunglasses looking like a gay version of Eva Longoria!

But if you want to look like someone squashed your car, than that's your choice!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan View Post

How anyone could criticize such a sweet Yaris is beyond me! Nice car, brendan!

Cheers! M2
Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Freedan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Bayou Blue 3DR Lift

I'm rocking a set of 17" Enki and have the MI lowering springs installed on Stock struts/shocks. I can say that I have no problems with rubbing when I do low speed turns (with my wheels maxed out), but I do have rubbing if I take a right turn hard, but I don't have any problems with rubbing if I take a left turn hard when I don't have passengers.

Will be getting some Tokico Blues and maybe a fender roll if the Tokicos don't solve the rub issue completely.

And no, I don't wear my hat sideways or backwards. I rock a beanie!!! j/k.
Freedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

How can someone roll cheap wheels and stock ride height in a Yaris? At least put some money into the car and give it a clean look, sorry im not a kid, i own a house, own my car, manage an auto repair shop, etc and i drive another car as well.... I can afford nice parts. I dont have a fart can on my car,nor do i have neons, i just know what looks good, and those cars do not without a drop. So your saying all the Yaris owners slammed on coilovers are bouncing down the road like kids?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedan View Post

I'm rocking a set of 17" Enki and have the MI lowering springs installed on Stock struts/shocks. I can say that I have no problems with rubbing when I do low speed turns (with my wheels maxed out), but I do have rubbing if I take a right turn hard, but I don't have any problems with rubbing if I take a left turn hard when I don't have passengers.

Will be getting some Tokico Blues and maybe a fender roll if the Tokicos don't solve the rub issue completely.

And no, I don't wear my hat sideways or backwards. I rock a beanie!!! j/k.
See this car looks good, a clean drop and clean wheels! Looks great compared to the other 2 cars without a drop.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Sorry, but I like not fearing every pothole and speedbump that I come across, nor do I relish the thought of rubbing every time I try to turn a corner.

Plus, not all Yaris owners are kids; some of us don't want to look like all the dropped Civics and Neons bouncing down the roads, fart cans making more noise than power, blasting distorted hip-hop, hats on sideways and pimp daddy sunglasses looking like a gay version of Eva Longoria!

But if you want to look like someone squashed your car, than that's your choice!
Wow.

First of all, lowering a car is not as dangerous for potholes as having huge ass wheels with rubber band tires. Also, nobody that I know of lowered on 15s rubs, its when they go to 17s.

Second, the stock yaris bounces a lot more than my car, and blingy big ass chrome wheels are much more in line with the "sideways hat hip hop" scene than a lowered yaris. Lowering increases looks AND performance. Your rims rob performance, both acceleration and handling, and are solely for looks, which are obviously objective.

I prefer not to have roller skate wheel gap, and to be able to control my car in more than 10 mph winds.

PS - your real 4x4 is what flips on the trail and gets pulled out by a stock tundra, if it makes it to the trail at all without flipping or the chassis separating from the frame in an accident... oh, and there's douchebags that like flipping rocks into peoples windshields and sacrificing their own safety as well as anyone else they hit in an accident all over the world, not just TX.

@other guy - 4 exhaust pipes... 'nuff said.
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekqmb View Post
How can someone roll cheap wheels and stock ride height in a Yaris? At least put some money into the car and give it a clean look, sorry im not a kid, i own a house, own my car, manage an auto repair shop, etc and i drive another car as well.... I can afford nice parts. I dont have a fart can on my car,nor do i have neons, i just know what looks good, and those cars do not without a drop. So your saying all the Yaris owners slammed on coilovers are bouncing down the road like kids?
No, I am saying that criticizing somebody for not dropping their Yaris is immature and in poor taste!

The OP didn't ask for opinions on drops, he/she stated they wanted pics of Yarii with 17" wheels with no drops.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #15
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

I know, lol... i was at the shop all day bored so i chimed in. Your car looks good man, I think with a subtle drop it would look very good! I like all Yaris, the 2 cars with 17's look good, dont know about quad tips on the red one though.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #16
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
Wow.

First of all, lowering a car is not as dangerous for potholes as having huge ass wheels with rubber band tires. Also, nobody that I know of lowered on 15s rubs, its when they go to 17s.

Second, the stock yaris bounces a lot more than my car, and blingy big ass chrome wheels are much more in line with the "sideways hat hip hop" scene than a lowered yaris. Lowering increases looks AND performance. Your rims rob performance, both acceleration and handling, and are solely for looks, which are obviously objective.

I prefer not to have roller skate wheel gap, and to be able to control my car in more than 10 mph winds.

PS - your real 4x4 is what flips on the trail and gets pulled out by a stock tundra, if it makes it to the trail at all without flipping or the chassis separating from the frame in an accident... oh, and there's douchebags that like flipping rocks into peoples windshields and sacrificing their own safety as well as anyone else they hit in an accident all over the world, not just TX.

@other guy - 4 exhaust pipes... 'nuff said.
Dude, you drive a sedan....'nuff said!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #17
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Dude, you drive a sedan....'nuff said!

Its cool, ignoring my points is as good for me as you saying "I'm wrong and can't refute anything you said, my rims are goofy and make my car slow"
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Thread shot to Hell

No wonder the OP hasn't come back.

Tags
17" wheels, shopping, stock suspension