Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
anexrx7

Drives: 08 MM HB
Suggestions based on what I listen to

Hey all,
I have a favor or two for whom might be willing to help me out. I'm currently stuck over seas for another 4 1/2 months, but we'll be back soon enough. I'm trying to plan out the components of my future sound system. I see there is a lot of guys that build what I would call very aggressive systems. I'm looking at buying stuff that's going to perform to the music I primarily listen too. I'd say price isn't an option, but then the discussion gets out of hand and the price is more then the car. I'm not afraid to get the better speaker the first time etc.

OK so what do I listen too? Well, in short mostly metal type genre, some that most people haven't heard of. I'm actually a drummer of going on 14 years now, and I can pick out each instrument, each drum, cymbal etc and replicate by ear. Such bands as: All Shall Perish, Arsis, The Black Dahlia Murder,Between the Buried and Me, Lamb of God, Emmure, Megadeth, etc.. I can go on but these bands have well mastered songs to figure out whats going to work.

All I'm asking is for someone to run a few songs through their system, and get an idea of what over the stock system I'll want/need.

I've already considered component speakers with tweeters mounted at the doors, but I've read that you may go def or the highs over power. I also considered a 10" sub mounted above the the spare wheel area. The rest is up to my imagination,as I read that there's no need for rear speakers, etc.

Anyone that can play a few songs and get an idea where the music is going to need uplifted etc. I'll listen to other things as well, but the only thing that gets my heart moving before PT and keep me alive is the heavy stuff.

Thanks
anexrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
Are you trying to figure out what tweets and front door speakers you would want or what kind of sub you want?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
anexrx7

See that's where I'm hung up. Are the mounted tweeters suggested? Do I need a sub if running 4 speakers with an amp? I'm trying to figure out what I need overall.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
IMO, if your going for overall sound quality get good door speakers. However, I am more of a sub guy myself. I'm sure some of the other guys here are more into door speaker quality. I have yet to change out my stock door speakers. Subs can overpower speakers easily, so if you wanting a sub to get good overall sound quality I would stick with 8" subs. They have the potential to be your best friends.

That being said, I more of try and shake my car apart kind of guy, so take what I say with a grain of salt lol
Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
From my experience for rock music you would want a modest sub, unless you have a very aggressive midbass driver that can belt out 60-100hz tone with ease. Even most car component sets aren't designed to play loud on the low notes.

If space/cargo room is an issue I'd say put all your effort into front speakers and forget the sub. If space isn't as much of an issue I'd recommend getting a single 10" sub and putting it in a sealed box, with modest power (200-500rms) There are lots of subs out there, and to an extent you get what you pay for... but mostly its about "you get what you install for"... not all subs worked well in sealed boxes, not all subs play well on 500rms (even if that's what they are rated for).

A third option I guess would be to run midbass drivers in the rear speaker locations and have a low pass crossover set on them around 100 to 200 hz so that they only play the lower tones. This would allow you to get whatever 6.5" component speakers you wanted for up front and you wouldn't have to worry about a box/sub or not having any bass/midbass.

As for components.... if you love big cymbal crashes, look towards a set that uses a metalic tweeter (focal, and Quart)... if you sometimes cringe at cymbal crashes cause its too piercing... then i'd suggest getting a soft dome/silk tweeter set instead.

There are tricks to tame a tweeter, or to make them brighter/louder... but you can't make lemonade from poop... sorry, you have to be in the ballpark to begin with otherwise you'll be upset regardless of how many tricks you can pull.

Amps of course are a must if you are serious about quality... or being loud.... or a combination of the two.

I used to be all about subs... but now i'm getting away from that. subs are easy to get loud, and you can do it really cheap too... sounding good is a bit harder.... so whats the point of spending 80% of your budget on a sub setup? Furthermore.. why spend 80% of your budget on 20% of the audible range?

I love subs.... but think they are over-used/over-emphasized, and thing that Strong midbass drivers are WAYYYYYY underused.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
hey anexr...

Where are you?

Taln,

I've got some sweet pictures of Scott's new top shelf tweeters...I have to get back to my CHU before I can post them up though...They should leave a person drooling just from the sight of them! More to come...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
anexrx7

talnlnky:
Thanks, that helps alot so far. From what I gathered, I'm going to get a 10" and try to get it to sound good on ~400-500 rms. The fronts I've been looking at are the Kappa series I believe? Will that get me anywhere I need? As for the rear deck, I guess that's still up in the air, I suppose I can get some decent 6.5" and try to get either a deck or use a cross-over to play the mid-range with them to fill the sound a little better.

sqcomp:
I'm in Arifjan right now.

Thanks for the info, anymore insight would be great!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by anexrx7 View Post
talnlnky:
Thanks, that helps alot so far. From what I gathered, I'm going to get a 10" and try to get it to sound good on ~400-500 rms. The fronts I've been looking at are the Kappa series I believe? Will that get me anywhere I need? As for the rear deck, I guess that's still up in the air, I suppose I can get some decent 6.5" and try to get either a deck or use a cross-over to play the mid-range with them to fill the sound a little better.

sqcomp:
I'm in Arifjan right now.

Thanks for the info, anymore insight would be great!
You know, I can't really say anything about the Kappa's... I ran some Kappas back in the day... but they were the old school green kind circa 1999. I liked my Kappas, but i've heard mixed things about the line that replaced them in 2000. I'm not sure if the current Kappas are the same as what was released in 2000, or if they've undergone another face lift since then.

Generally infinity is decent, and won't disappoint as long as you are thinking you'll have the best sound. www.ikesound.com sells the Kappa's & the Kappa perfects for a pretty low cost. I've used them before without any problems.

I guess, i would risk buying a set of Kappa's for say my fiance's ride... not sure if i'd risk putting them in my ride.... (but i'm pretty picky about speakers).