Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Fun with a Lincoln Towncar

Some of ya'll may know that I am a limo driver. Of course, I haven't driven in a while because I am focusing more on school but every once a blue moon I drive whenever the boss needs extra drivers. So, I took a client to Austin and the car has a cool feature that tells you the MPG and the miles until empty. Well, on the way to Austin, I had the A/C on and averaging 70mph, so the gauge was reading 18mpg. After I dropped him off, I was feeling like cruising and yet still save on gas since it was running a bit low and i didn't want to spend money of filling it back up. Yes, the owner would reimburse me, but I didn't have that much on me to begin with.

So, on the way back to Houston, I cruised down to 55-60mph, kept the A/C off, and lift off the gas when going down hill. I was averaging 26mpg! Not bad for a lincoln towncar. By the time I was I reached the warehouse, I barely touched a quarter of a tank. Whereas when I picked up the client and took him to Austin, it took two quarters of a tank. The other drivers couldn't believe it. They kept telling that they had to refuel on the way back from Austin and were in awe that I didn't. Woohoo!

BTW, one thing you have to remember. These vehicles are not in the best shapes. This particular vehicle is a 2007 with over 160000 miles on it. Been in two accidents and rebuilt. Its only savior is that they go in for maintenance very regularly because I can guarantee you that other drivers don't treat these vehicles nicely. Think about it, you have V6 luxury vehicle that can haul ass, turn on a dime, and still ride like boat, AND you're not making payments on it! Of course you would have fun with it!!

Last edited by texkid; 03-23-2009 at 03:55 AM.
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
very nice!
who knew they could get that good of MPG! It just goes to show that good driving can yield good MPG's no matter what kind of car you drive (except like a H1 hummer or something) lol
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Nice! If you can pull this off, then why can't Y owners do the same? Maybe now they'll stop complaining about getting bad gas mileage lol

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
texkid

The driver does have a huge factor. I average about 38mpg in my car. I have reached 42mpg before, but it took some concentration so I figured 38mpg would break even (it is still better than 32). I apply the knowledge to other vehicles and yield the same results. The Towncar was the best ever. My wife's Isuzu gets 19mpg but I can make it reach 24mpg with the A/C still running.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
SailDesign

Drives: .
Don't forget, though, that the 26mpg was instantaneous FE, not trip average.... Makes a HUGE difference. Still, congrats coz that is obviously WAaaayyyyyy more than "normal" for that beast.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I had an 88 Stanza and got only 23mpg. 26mpg is fantastic for that car. You can make a commercial for Lincoln.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Don't forget, though, that the 26mpg was instantaneous FE, not trip average.... Makes a HUGE difference. Still, congrats coz that is obviously WAaaayyyyyy more than "normal" for that beast.
Exactly, I used to be able to get 99 MPG out of my old VR6 Passat by messing with the computer while driving; and it would've been higher but the display only went to double-digits...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
The claim here is not unrealistic.

18 mpg to 26 mpg is about a 45% improvement. Lowering the speed from 70+ to 55-60 and employing some smart hypermiling techniques, it can be done.

The EPA highway rating on the Town Car is 23 mpg. 26 mpg isn't even 20% more... I bet that car would do 30 mpg if you tried hard enough!

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
texkid

I will still work on it whenever I get a chance. It was a blast though!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
bump
Wassup wid all the "bumps", PK?
Bored?
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote