Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Arlyarlz

Drives: Toyota Yaris 53reg
Exclamation HELP, my car is completely DEAD!!!

I need some advice as I don't want the garage to rip me off. I have never had any problems with my car since i bought it 7 months ago. I haven't drove my car for about 3 days and when I wanted to drive it today it was completely dead. Does anyone have any idea why this has happened? No locks or lights will work. It is actually DEAD. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT.
Arlyarlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Sounds like the battery. Did you hook up another car's battery and try to start it?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Arlyarlz

i thought it would be more than the battery because normally the car would try to start up but even when I turn the key it don't actually do anything. I will give it ago just incase. But could there be any other reasons if its not the battery.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
balmung_chris
Balmung

Drives: 2007 3dr yaris
Send a message via MSN to balmung_chris
yea ask a friend to boost your car's battery
balmung_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
balmung_chris
Balmung

Drives: 2007 3dr yaris
Send a message via MSN to balmung_chris
yes the car cannot start without the battery, that would also explain the lgihts and everything else not working.
balmung_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
battery....u probably left the dome lights on.. had this issue when i went on vacation for a week...jump start and drove the car for 2 hours pretty much charged it its been over a year now..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Arlyarlz

cheers peeps, i will give it a go!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
kuyachris84

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback Black
yeah I've had this done before... left the interior lights on and my car was dead. Just get some jumper cables and jump start the car....
kuyachris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
This also happened to be before and I went to a mechanic to get estimate and it turn's out to be a dead alternator.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
this is why you buy the manual.... push start FTW.... no need for a friend, cables, or a new bat.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
this is why you buy the manual.... push start FTW.... no need for a friend, cables, or a new bat.
Ahem.. Cough <look-in-the-manual> cough!
Attached Images

SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
sail,even though it says it in the manual not to, it will not hurt the car if done right if necessity calls.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0sx View Post
sail,even though it says it in the manual not to, it will not hurt the car if done right if necessity calls.
Actually, when the battery is thoroughly dead, you can't start it by pushing or pulling anyway. The alternator requires a little tiny bit of juice (called excitation current) in order to charge. When the battery is really dead, that juice is not forthcoming, so no power is produced by the alternator to charge the battery, run the ignition, computers, etc. The best solution is to put a battery charger on it for a few hours - if you can't get AC electricity to the car as it sits, take the battery out and charge it somewhere else.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #14
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
battery....u probably left the dome lights on.. had this issue when i went on vacation for a week...jump start and drove the car for 2 hours pretty much charged it its been over a year now..
In the "good old days" this wasn't such bad advice. Auto makers typically over engineered stuff, with margins of performance that were far beyond the norm. Some GM alternators were capable of pounding fifty to almost 100 amps continuous output with minimal over heating.

Today with modern "high stress" alternators you risk super heating them by using them as battery chargers. Many modern alternators will run quite "hot" with normal use.

My CRX "ate" at least one alternator when I jumped it - a few months later the alternator shit the bed.

While I love my Toyota and respect Japanese engineering the "usual" routine for these guys and gals is "just enough for typical use". They're not big on "robust engineering", especially for electrical stuff.

I'd either buy a new battery or get a battery charger and recharge the unit from the wall.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #15
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Yeah, my daughter's Echo's alternator went out around 100K miles. Bad rear bearing let the rotor start hitting the sides.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0sx View Post
yeah.... there was a thread about this a long time ago... nobody had ever had issues with it, or could even come up with a reason as to why it would be a problem if you do it properly.

I've started my car while rolling probably 100 times.... no problems yet. Never had to push start... but I've done a lil hypermiling where I cut the engine, then put the ignition back to acc so I had steering and brakes. I don't do it anymore... but, it appears to be fine.

The only vehicle I had a bad alt in was my 86 Jeep Cherokee. The mazda had no problems... course, after it was 5 years old I put in a 160amp alt... but I had that alt running in the car for five years. I'm not too scared about an alt going bad in the yaris... isn't it rated 80amps? 80 is decent for a car.... I remember the civics had 60amp... I can't imagine a CRX having anything more than that. I'm not a big fan of honda when it comes to the electrical systems. Subaru is pretty cool tho.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #17
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
yeah.... there was a thread about this a long time ago... nobody had ever had issues with it, or could even come up with a reason as to why it would be a problem if you do it properly.

I've started my car while rolling probably 100 times.... no problems yet. Never had to push start... but I've done a lil hypermiling where I cut the engine, then put the ignition back to acc so I had steering and brakes. I don't do it anymore... but, it appears to be fine.

The only vehicle I had a bad alt in was my 86 Jeep Cherokee. The mazda had no problems... course, after it was 5 years old I put in a 160amp alt... but I had that alt running in the car for five years. I'm not too scared about an alt going bad in the yaris... isn't it rated 80amps? 80 is decent for a car.... I remember the civics had 60amp... I can't imagine a CRX having anything more than that. I'm not a big fan of honda when it comes to the electrical systems. Subaru is pretty cool tho.
When you push start with carb equipped cars it tends to dump fuel into the motor, causing the catalytic converter to fry. Not sure about FI cars.

I don't know the alternator rating on a Yaris. DO know that my CRX ate four alternators over the course of 200,000 miles or so.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #18
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
When you push start with carb equipped cars it tends to dump fuel into the motor, causing the catalytic converter to fry. Not sure about FI cars.

I don't know the alternator rating on a Yaris. DO know that my CRX ate four alternators over the course of 200,000 miles or so.

Gene
hmmm... push started the jeep I had prolly half a dozen times (it was carb)... sold it with 186,000 miles on it... never had to replace the cat....

I dunno... I think people make too big of a deal about push starting