Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Disturb3dMind3d

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Feeling like crap after first car wash...

So I just washed my car for the first time 2 days ago and I wasn't please with the results. I guess the wash mit I had used had dirt in it because now I can see fine scratches on my new car (only in sunlight) . Would maguires gold class wax fix my small problem I got after my first wash? All I did was wash and dry the car...
Disturb3dMind3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I use the foaming brush at the car was and then spray it with wax. I have done this at least 20 times and i don't see anyscratches. What did you use a Brillo pad?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
If you want to address this issue by hand, use Meguiars Scratch-X, rub vigorously to remove these light swirls, then coat it with NXT. You'll be very pleased.
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Disturb3dMind3d

would meguiars scratch-x mess up the clear coat on the paint?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
I thoroughly rinse my car (at home) before hand washing. It does not guarantee perfection, but between that and monthly wax job as is well.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
scratch x is great stuff but that is a damn big job, have fun

what color is your car? I am assuming it is a darker color.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Disturb3dMind3d

its bayou blue. I can only see the scratches/ swirl marks in the sunlight... Probably going to detail my car next week with some new gear.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
At first, I'd take a conservative approach. Try a light wax, and with a little effort that may solve the problem. Remember... cold car, shady area, clean equipment.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
yeah, i'm still having issues after peeling off the pin strip. i clay bared it, waxed it, shined it, sung it a lullabye and it still has those same little swirl-y marks. but just the one long strip that goes down both sides of my car. someone told me about OPPS? i haven't tried it yet. i'll be interested what everyone has to say about this subject as well.

thanks disturb3dmind3d.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by death is my gift View Post
yeah, i'm still having issues after peeling off the pin strip. i clay bared it, waxed it, shined it, sung it a lullabye and it still has those same little swirl-y marks. but just the one long strip that goes down both sides of my car.
Clay bared it! Why? A light wax and some elbow grease would have done the trick removing pinstripe adhesive and the "shadow" the pinstripe left behind.

Using a clay bar is a technique that requires a good deal of skill and experience; otherwise, you'll damage the paint.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use clay on their Yaris unless they really know what they're doing. It's just too risky!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by death is my gift View Post
yeah, i'm still having issues after peeling off the pin strip. i clay bared it, waxed it, shined it, sung it a lullabye and it still has those same little swirl-y marks. but just the one long strip that goes down both sides of my car. someone told me about OPPS? i haven't tried it yet. i'll be interested what everyone has to say about this subject as well.

thanks disturb3dmind3d.
If you still have residual glue, buy some denatured alcohol and lightly wiped down the glue and it will come out instantly
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Having done this, here are the steps and tricks:

1. If you clay, you must use a lubricant and plenty of it. A dense soapy solution is good - light working of the paint with the clay. Turtlewax makes a chemical/abrasive solution that works great for cleaning. Claying removes imbeded dirt but can leave swirls if one doesn't use a lubricant.

2. Polishing removes swirls. One can use varying degrees of abrasives depending on the depth of the swirls. In your case, a light polish will work. Scratch-X is but one. Since the car is small, it is a light amout of work is all that is required.

3. Sealing is the last step. Synthetic or natural or both.

Its worth it. Take your time and enjoy doing it. My car shines like crazy. I clayed it, polished it, sealed it then topped it with ICE. Incredible is what people say.

Last edited by keesue; 06-22-2007 at 07:56 PM. Reason: clarity
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

If you're not experienced using POLISH, you could damage your paint!

I wouldn't recommend that everyone use clay or polish.

For most of us, light wax is just fine... and it's very safe done by hand.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #14
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Here's an example of a heavily swirled car I fixed recently - a friends BMW Z3 that after 3 years of automatic car wash machines was fraking ruined!

I started off with a deep hand wash and full claying (neither of these address swirls though) - after that I did a full chemical clean using Meg's Deep Crystal Paint cleaner (which in my estimation reduced the swirling by about 70%), followed by some spot touch-up with Meg's ScratchX (which was used to attack more major scratches, not the swirling). All that got me to this stage:

Swirl-o-rama.jpg

As you can see, the majority of the swirling has been addressed, but there's still some deeper swirls and a bit of holographing. (the 3 years of car wash damage is on the left, my hard work on the right BTW) :)

After that I hit it up with 2 generous coatings of Meg's #7 show car glaze, a layer of Meg's #21 synthetic sealant, and topped it with a layer of Meg's NXT tech wax, and here's the finished result:

swirl-o-rama - after.jpg

While this is very safe and effective for an amatuer detailer, it's not permanent.. In this case you're effectively filling the swirls with wax & polish compounds, rather than actually removing them. If you don't keep your wax/polish layer up, the swirls will return. So long as you was as reguarly as you should (i.e. every 4-10 weeks) the finish will remain looking perfect however.

Removing swirls permanently requires cutting back the clear coat to a level lower than the swirls themselves, which means it's definately NOT a DIY.
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
Disturb3dMind3d

Thanks for everyones input on how to fix the problem I have. I will try and wax my yaris next week and if that doesn't take care of my problem I am going to step it up a notch and polish then wax the week after.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #16
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
Clay bared it! Why?
i guess i should have explained a little more. when i peeled off the pin strip it left a really really goo-y trail behind. i tried using one of those "erase it" pads to get the goo off. all that did was create a "dull" finish. not just dull but rough to the touch. i then used Bug remover and that worked to remove the goo but there was still that dullness. i used wax, polish and nothing. that's when i finally decided to use a clay bar, but just on the dull parts, not on the entire car. for the most part it worked but it did leave the little swirl-ys behind.

as far as "knowing what i'm doing". i know the Erase It pad was a horrible idea before i tried it but i was desparate and did it anyway. with the clay bar, i followed the directions exactly how they were printed on the package i bought. PLENTY of Shine It spray as a lube and then the clay bar. i did keep it lubed up good, i'm not a moron. well maybe a slight moron for that brilliant Erase It idea
Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #17
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
Time to bust out a PC random orbital polisher some good detailer polish, wax soap, MF cloths and bonnets and sheep skin bonnets and some sealant glaze.

IF bad: Time to bust out a detailer grade super fine sand paper and wet sand!

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:36 AM   #18
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Earlier posts on the forum claim there is no wax on the car when puchased...so the sooner the better. IMO a good wax will solve your problem.