Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
BobTheYaris

Drives: '08 Yaris HB 2 dr
Hatchback Water Entry Design Flaw

Having a rainy day today which caused me remember the design flaw that allows water to leak into the "trunk" when you open the hatch. Did Toyota fix this with an update, or did anyone come up with a fix. I wouldn't care except for the fact that I've found water in the spare tire well.

Heres a pic of the problematic trim..

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BobTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I can't tell from your picture where it is leaking in. On mine, I find that with the hatch up that I don't see any dripping inside issues.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I think the initial issue he might be bringing to light, is how water will drip into the hatch area when the door is raised. Bugs the hell out of me every time I open the hatch after it's been raining, or even after a heavy dew.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
The channel moves the water down near the latch. If there is debris or the molding is damaged you can get water in the trunk.
I have found water in the tire well. The cause was a bent lip on the rubber drain plug in the tire well.
I greased it and it seems to have solved the problem.
Steve
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:32 AM   #5
El Kapitan
Senior Veteran

Drives: 2007 5 door hatchback
my '07 has that problem. my solution, which is not really a solution, is open it about half way and pause for a few secs, which allows most of the water to run off. if i open it all the way at first, just like with the OP, a ton of water comes in. pretty stupid. my car also leaks like a sieve into the back spare tire area when it rains. i've sealed everything except the antenna. if sealing the antenna doesn't fix it, i'm going to consider trading it in and writing off my brief experience with the toyota yaris. OTOH, if it does work, i really like the rest of the car and will definitely keep it.
El Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote