Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
CuriousNicholi

Drives: On the hunt for a 07-10 3DR MT
On the Yaris hunt and saying "Hi." to the forum

Back in 2011 I got SUPER close to buying a brand new Yaris, but went with a Cooper S instead (also a blast to drive). Now I'm back in the Yaris camp on the hunt for a much loved 3-door 5-speed ready for a happy new home.

This is such a great community full of folks who dig those little cars with big soul. Looking forward to making a few posts of my own, and figured saying hi is a good place to start.

Howdy from Oklahoma!
CuriousNicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Greetings from NYC. Good luck with the hunt!
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Welcome! Shouldn't be too hard to find a good one.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousNicholi View Post
... went with a Cooper S instead (also a blast to drive).... !
I've been perusing the mini websites a lot lately as well as looking at used ones online. 180+ HP in a car that's only 400 pounds heavier than the Yaris sounds really fun! I'd really love a loaded Countryman JCW AWD. A bit heavier, but more power. Please share your driving experiences with the mini.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Oklahoma is OK

Only worked in Ponca City a couple years, but still "Living on Tulsa Time"...and crying when "You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma, and I'm Still Missing You" comes on the radio. (Long actual song title.)

Loved the back roads route from Ponca to Tulsa along the Arkansas River.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Welcome! Looking fwd to seeing what you find.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
luv the 2 door model
many available in your area

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
CuriousNicholi

Drives: On the hunt for a 07-10 3DR MT
Smile Thanks for the friendly responses, everyone!

@06YarisRS That's a nice ride you've got there! That new swap must come with an ear-to-ear grin every time you hit the throttle. Jealous!
The MINI was an absolute blast. 6-speed BRG w/ black top. Tiny enough to bop and weave through traffic and always find the good parking spots. Powerful enough to get moving a little too fast on the highway without realizing until seeing the flashing lights in the rearview. I put 85k miles on it in less than 4 years driving all over the U.S., especially the Southwest. Paved roads, dirt, hills, and curves. I even accidentally ventured up a rocky mountain road in Arizona and she handled the terrain like a champ.
One thing I'll warn you about is the cost of maintenance. I had a 2012 (2nd Gen) and as we closed in on 100k, maintenance started to put a pretty big dent in my wallet. It is a BMW, so be sure to estimate costs 2-3 times what you'd spent on a Yaris.
Otherwise, it's a fantastic car that I miss quite a bit. Very solid build and a drivetrain that can take a beating.
If you're considering buying new, definitely build one to your own spec. I really connected with the experience of checking all the boxes I wanted and none I didn't, then imagination driving while monitoring the online updates on MY car's progress throughout its build and shipment to NA. I think you'll find the MINI community is equally supportive and quirky

@dogsridewith I hear you on those back roads. OKC is flat and straight, but once you venture NE, especially around Tahlequah, you've got your pick of windy roads and beautiful scenery. Sounds like you've got those Okie roots

Last edited by CuriousNicholi; 01-08-2019 at 10:37 AM.
CuriousNicholi is offline   Reply With Quote