Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
lukeiam

Drives: '09 Yaris
Bike Transport options?

Hi folks! This is my first post here and thanks for even clicking.

I'm a long-time Toyota owner -- had a 2WD Tacoma for 15 years...I just bought an '09 Yaris and while I'm super excited to have the car, I somewhat discounted one overlooked issue: bike transport. I'm a serious mountain biker and I want to get a decent rack system that won't kill the mileage (one of the main reasons I got the car!). It seems like anything on the roof will do that, so I'm left with considering a hitch or rear rack strap-on system.

I'm seeing some DIY hitch options that would definitely open options (I'm obviously not towing anything heavy here, just attaching a bike rack). Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks so much!
lukeiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #2
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Welcome! I had a 2wd Tacoma for a few years, but had to sell it once my family grew. I miss it! Anyways, if you're a serious mountain biker I'm guessing you've got a decent rig and I wouldn't chance it with a strap system(not that it wouldn't hold- you just don't want someone to take your bike/rack). I have a Reese hitch for my Yaris Sedan and a Swagman 2-bike carrier that is solid/secure enough for the yearly trips out of state.

You can find plenty of hitches that will mount to a Yaris(i.e. Curt, Reese, Draw-tite) and good hitch-style mounts from lots of vendors(Yakima, Thule, Swagman, Allen). Usually there's a locking hitch-pin you can purchase separately to add security. I guess you also have to decide if you'll want a tray-style or something that grabs the bike higher up. Mine is 'higher up' type and if I were to do it again I would go tray-style so the tires wouldn't have to be secured so they don't spin! Good luck!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
lukeiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Welcome! I had a 2wd Tacoma for a few years, but had to sell it once my family grew. I miss it! Anyways, if you're a serious mountain biker I'm guessing you've got a decent rig and I wouldn't chance it with a strap system(not that it wouldn't hold- you just don't want someone to take your bike/rack). I have a Reese hitch for my Yaris Sedan and a Swagman 2-bike carrier that is solid/secure enough for the yearly trips out of state.

You can find plenty of hitches that will mount to a Yaris(i.e. Curt, Reese, Draw-tite) and good hitch-style mounts from lots of vendors(Yakima, Thule, Swagman, Allen). Usually there's a locking hitch-pin you can purchase separately to add security. I guess you also have to decide if you'll want a tray-style or something that grabs the bike higher up. Mine is 'higher up' type and if I were to do it again I would go tray-style so the tires wouldn't have to be secured so they don't spin! Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion! I think I have a new plan: remove the back seats and lay down a 3/4" plywood base, making it almost like a mini truck. I could probably easily mount my bike (sans front wheel) to this board for secure travel and still have plenty of room for belongings.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I have the back seat removed in my hatchback with a flat floor installed. And to be honest I think you'd have a hard time fitting a full size mountain bike in there. Personally, I'd go with the hitch style bike rack. But if youre set on back seat removal, I could take some measurements for ya. The interior trim is also removed from my car so any measurement I can get would be the most space you'll get.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
lukeiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I have the back seat removed in my hatchback with a flat floor installed. And to be honest I think you'd have a hard time fitting a full size mountain bike in there. Personally, I'd go with the hitch style bike rack. But if youre set on back seat removal, I could take some measurements for ya. The interior trim is also removed from my car so any measurement I can get would be the most space you'll get.
Thanks! Interesting..I think in my "vision" of this I have the rear wheel sort of coming between the two front seats..So that might be a bit of a hindrance. But even full-sized bikes can get pretty small once you remove the front wheel. Either way, I want to remove the rear seats to create a flat space for my stuff and dog.

Any trick to removing the Yaris seats? Thanks

Edit: I also think I have the same Yaris as you based on your links ('09 dark blue one, 2-door). If you had a quick cell pic or something of the back, I'd love to see that! I'm not really finding any posts of seat removal here.