Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
battery

a little off topic here but...
I need a new batt. Looking at AGM overall the best deal seems to be Odyssey AGM
IF you can find a decent price... They seem to be the best built.
I know I could get away with a powersport size for the Yaris and I will when I need one later.
But right now I need to get a new batt for a Chevy PU used only for farm purposes
so no big stereos and stupid accessory stuff. Do you think I could get away with a powersports batt like a Harley owner would use in a 1500 PU?? I know race cars are using them..I only has to start it and run lights....What do you think?
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
if you are just looking to use a battery to start a PU and run it simply then yes a motorcycle/power sports battery should be adequate. This is dependant on factors like temp and oil viscosity but it will likely work. Rule of thumb is 1 CCA for each cubic inch of engine size (summer starting) so for the 1.5l 1nz that puts you just under 100 CCA battery.

Keep in mind the main problem, people have with race batteries isn't that they are too weak to start them but rather their relatively small reserve capacity. Depending on how much parasitic draw your car pulls when it is shut down and how often you open up the door to grab something out of your car, the battery may be too dead to start the car within a day or two. This will be easily solved by keeping a charger on it. Once a battery has been drained dead, its lifespan is shot. This is another reason why many of these small batteries die so quickly in cars.

Odyssey batteries are some of the most expensive next to Braille. Many are just re branded Deka batteries and they have falsely inflated CCA ratings and reserve capacity.

I opted for a SigmasTek STX20L-BS it is rated at 19 Ah and 270 CCA. It starts my 1.8L 2zr no problem in 32*F morning starts. I have only left it in the driveway for 3 nights max and I have LED interior lights so when I open the door th grab something it doesn't draw many amps. I noticed after the 3rd day it cranked barely noticeably slower but started fine. I checked its voltage after 2 days of it sitting in the car and ti showed it was down to 12.54 V which is about 90% life of an AGM battery. My rule is anything longer than 4 days and I'll keep a charger on it so that I don't ruin the battery. I also have a lithium ion jump pack with me if I ever travel far just in case.

In the winter my plan is to always keep the charger on it overnight just in case. I run 0w20 oil and I have no doubt it will fire up no problem in the winter just as long as it is fully charged in the morning. It should also be noted that my battery is kept inside my cabin since I relocated it.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=57875&page=10

check post 178 for some info on it
Old 04-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
I should have mentioned that I intend to build one of these homemade super capacitor start modules like the Maxwell MSM but with smaller caps,maybe 500 farad. BUt its hard to find Maxwell caps for a reasonable price now. They have way over inflated their prices.
You put these in between the starter and battery to do all starting duties. That alone will make the battery last a lot longer.
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote